C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Laser Jammer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C350 MM
Laser Jammer

Has anyone put laser jammers? Particularly the m27? Could you explain/show pics of how you have it setup, including in the engine bay?
Old 08-24-2010, 11:36 AM

'09 C350 MM
no one?
Old 08-24-2010, 01:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
I almost bought the M27, but I ended up splurging on the Laser Interceptor instead, it just works better. I just had it installed last week and I've been meaning to post pics.. maybe tomorrow. The M27 uses infrared LEDs to blind the guns, and produces jam codes, and eventually they will punch through.. the laser interceptor uses the same laser diodes on the Lidar guns, and can jam all the way to the gun on almost every model, and there's only one gun it will produce a jam code on. There's a discount code for them if you check the radarbusters forum.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:21 AM

C350 W204
about this, what if we were caught? what's the consequences?
Old 08-25-2010, 12:10 PM

\
They are legal where I am, so you should check your state laws.. but it's probably just a fix-it ticket.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:06 PM

'09 C350 MM
Originally Posted by Peabody
I almost bought the M27, but I ended up splurging on the Laser Interceptor instead, it just works better. I just had it installed last week and I've been meaning to post pics.. maybe tomorrow. The M27 uses infrared LEDs to blind the guns, and produces jam codes, and eventually they will punch through.. the laser interceptor uses the same laser diodes on the Lidar guns, and can jam all the way to the gun on almost every model, and there's only one gun it will produce a jam code on. There's a discount code for them if you check the radarbusters forum.
pics coming? been waiting before I order... haha
Old 08-26-2010, 12:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M5, C63, 335Ci
I also have the Laser Interceptor unit. It did the best in the Guys of Lidar testing and has served me well. I'll take a pic or two of the jamming/receiving head installation spot behind my grill, but everything else is behind trim panels, etc. I ran the wires from the heads through the fusebox to allow easy access through the firewall. The control unit is above the drivers side underdash trim panel and the power switch is in the same trim panel. There is a group buy available on another forum that gets you a pretty good discount. PM me for details, but it saves your arund 20% off normal prices.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I have been debating the laser interceptor. Which one would you guys recommend, dual, quad, hi-power or not?

It can get pretty expensive, and I would love to see installation pictures, I am not crazy about the fact that the sensors have to be visible. It is pretty cool on the other hand that you can use them as parking sensors for the front and rear (not sure how that works if someone wants to review that).

But doesn't it warn when it is actively jamming? If so, whats the need for the valentine one, earlier detection?
Old 08-26-2010, 07:53 AM

2009 C350W on EDP
Better to Bank on Passive Detection and Warning...

Originally Posted by jctevere
I have been debating the laser interceptor. Which one would you guys recommend, dual, quad, hi-power or not?

It can get pretty expensive, and I would love to see installation pictures, I am not crazy about the fact that the sensors have to be visible. It is pretty cool on the other hand that you can use them as parking sensors for the front and rear (not sure how that works if someone wants to review that).

But doesn't it warn when it is actively jamming? If so, whats the need for the valentine one, earlier detection?
Good question. The Valentine, and similar warning devices, are passive receivers. These are typically extremely sensitive devices. The impinging energy from the police laser transmitter arrives at your vehicle as an extremely narrow focused beam created by the precision optics of the laser gun, and it also aimed by the police directly at a suitably reflective surface on your car. This results in a very high Received Signal Strength Intensity (RSSi), but only for an extremely short period of time when a rapid sequence of pulses are transmitted to measure your range and range change/time = speed. These pulses need to arrive at you vehicle strong enough that the very small fraction of reflected laser energy, which is now scattering and non-focused by optics on the return path, travels back to be captured by the police laser receiver with adequate signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) that the receiver can decently detect the laser, and yet not issue false alarms based on weak/distorted signals. Because the police laser energy must go roundtrip, and the Valentine only has to detect the signal after one hop, there is a major signal strength advantage for the warning receiver that translates into a major warning range advantage over the police laser speed measuring range .... that is, unless they zap you with little waning.

Notwithstanding the marketing, IMO the effectiveness of active jammers is very dubious. The power/SNR physics simply do not work out in real-world encounters. I think the best defense is sensitive, "smart" passive receivers that looks in all directions simultaneously... like the Valentine.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:46 AM

M5, C63, 335Ci
Originally Posted by TRauppius
Good question. The Valentine, and similar warning devices, are passive receivers. These are typically extremely sensitive devices. The impinging energy from the police laser transmitter arrives at your vehicle as an extremely narrow focused beam created by the precision optics of the laser gun, and it also aimed by the police directly at a suitably reflective surface on your car. This results in a very high Received Signal Strength Intensity (RSSi), but only for an extremely short period of time when a rapid sequence of pulses are transmitted to measure your range and range change/time = speed. These pulses need to arrive at you vehicle strong enough that the very small fraction of reflected laser energy, which is now scattering and non-focused by optics on the return path, travels back to be captured by the police laser receiver with adequate signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) that the receiver can decently detect the laser, and yet not issue false alarms based on weak/distorted signals. Because the police laser energy must go roundtrip, and the Valentine only has to detect the signal after one hop, there is a major signal strength advantage for the warning receiver that translates into a major warning range advantage over the police laser speed measuring range .... that is, unless they zap you with little waning.

Notwithstanding the marketing, IMO the effectiveness of active jammers is very dubious. The power/SNR physics simply do not work out in real-world encounters. I think the best defense is sensitive, "smart" passive receivers that looks in all directions simultaneously... like the Valentine.
Passive receivers like the V1 will do nothing more than tell you that you have just been tagged and will be pulled over momentarily if the police target you with laser. An active jammer is your only real defense. I can attest to this from real life experience. Police laser is not used like radar where it is left on for long periods of time to allow you to pick it up with a passive device. It is also such a narrow beam compared to radar that the ability to pick it up when vehicle ahead of you are targeted is minimal at best. If you want real protection from laser, a jammer is necessary and the LI units are some of the best out there.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:57 AM

M5, C63, 335Ci
Originally Posted by jctevere

The unit you buy depends on what type of vehicle you are protecting. High power units are needed for SUVs, trucks, etc. Standard power units are plenty adequate for most cars. Most police radar targeting is done on the front of the vehicle with a small amount done from behind. It's your call if you want front only (2 head) or front and rear (4 head) protection. The sensors do not need to be in plain sight to work. They need a clear view ahead and behind the vehicle. Mine are mounted behind the front grille on some fabricated aluminum brackets and they work great and unless you are looking through the grille from close up, you would never know they are there. I might lose a little detection/jamming capability at extreme angles from the side, but this setup has worked great for me so far.

See the attached pics.

As far as the warning goes, yes the LI does warn when it detects and then jams the laser. I actually have my V1 built into the center rear headrest and the display in my rear view mirror so the V1 can't pick up laser due to lack of sight to the signal. I used to have it on the windshield and actually programmed it to turn off laser after installing the LI to avoid the alse alarms from laser guided cruise control systems like on the Infiniti cars and trucks. The LI is much more precise in it's detection and doesn't false on those.
Attached Thumbnails Laser Jammer-dscn1170.jpg   Laser Jammer-dscn1171.jpg   Laser Jammer-dscn1172.jpg  

Last edited by qship5; 08-26-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:06 AM

'09 C350 MM
Originally Posted by qship5
The unit you buy depends on what type of vehicle you are protecting. High power units are needed for SUVs, trucks, etc. Standard power units are plenty adequate for most cars. Most police radar targeting is done on the front of the vehicle with a small amount done from behind. It's your call if you want front only (2 head) or front and rear (4 head) protection. The sensors do not need to be in plain sight to work. They need a clear view ahead and behind the vehicle. Mine are mounted behind the front grille on some fabricated aluminum brackets and they work great and unless you are looking through the grille from close up, you would never know they are there. I might lose a little detection/jamming capability at extreme angles from the side, but this setup has worked great for me so far.

See the attached pics.

As far as the warning goes, yes the LI does warn when it detects and then jams the laser. I actually have my V1 built into the center rear headrest and the display in my rear view mirror so the V1 can't pick up laser due to lack of sight to the signal. I used to have it on the windshield and actually programmed it to turn off laser after installing the LI to avoid the alse alarms from laser guided cruise control systems like on the Infiniti cars and trucks. The LI is much more precise in it's detection and doesn't false on those.
you dont have issues with having it behind the grill?
Old 08-26-2010, 12:58 PM

M5, C63, 335Ci
Originally Posted by München
you dont have issues with having it behind the grill?
It works fine behind the grille. The brackets I made have the heads directly behind the mesh part of the grille and allow a good view for the receiving and transmit diodes.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Thanks for all the info! I think I'm just going to stick with the Valentine for now, and see how it goes. Maybe if I come into a bit of cash I will purchase the laser radar.... Thanks again!
Old 08-26-2010, 07:05 PM

\
Originally Posted by qship5
It works fine behind the grille. The brackets I made have the heads directly behind the mesh part of the grille and allow a good view for the receiving and transmit diodes.
You're blocking huge chunks from your transmission path with the grille. You should really consider moving it out from behind the grille or at the very least, cut out the grille from in front of them and move them forward.. but it seems like you're wasting a ton of money if your install blocks them from working when you need them.

As far as the Valentine1 goes, if it detects laser, the jammers will activate. All it does is add a third, very sensitive, receptor to your Laser Interceptor. Useful, and since the LI doesn't have anything to do with radar, you kind of need to have one.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:48 PM

M5, C63, 335Ci
You're blocking huge chunks from your transmission path with the grille. You should really consider moving it out from behind the grille or at the very least, cut out the grille from in front of them and move them forward.. but it seems like you're wasting a ton of money if your install blocks them from working when you need them.

As far as the Valentine1 goes, if it detects laser, the jammers will activate. All it does is add a third, very sensitive, receptor to your Laser Interceptor. Useful, and since the LI doesn't have anything to do with radar, you kind of need to have one.
You need the V1 to detect radar and the combo of the two is the ideal setup. As far as blocking huge chunks of my transmission path, the only blocking I have is from extreme side angles. I have tested it with a lidar gun and unless the gun is aimed from very close range from the side the signal is not affected. The mesh of the grille is not very thick and I can assure you it isn't affecting the performance to any noticeable degree.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 PM

\
It's not a question of how thick it is but how opaque it is... you're blocking a beam of light.. and I think the issue would be from 1000 feet away, not 10. Remember, they try to tag you with the gun before you can see them.

I hope it works for you, I really do.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:47 PM

M5, C63, 335Ci
I understand your point and both the receive and transmit diodes are positioned so that the open part of the mesh is directly in front of them.

I am curious about your earlier post about the V1 activating the LI jamming sequence. How are you doing that? My V1 is not connected to my LI. Is your wired in somehow?
Old 08-27-2010, 12:10 AM

\
You need this special accessory cable to connect your V1 to LI.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:13 AM

M5, C63, 335Ci
You need this special accessory cable to connect your V1 to LI.
That's pretty slick.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:46 PM

'09 C350 MM
Ordered M27, where do you think I should put them? I've seen then installed in the grill, or in the lower outside bottom grill....