C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

How Well Do You Treat Your Dealer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport
How Well Do You Treat Your Dealer?

Have any of you given your dealer a gift?

I know there was a thread about receiving gifts from dealers but I could not find a thread about giving gifts to your dealer.

As a first time buyer I am wondering what, if anything, is proper etiquette when it comes to thanking your dealer.

(I realize they are quite happy enough with my business but personal thank yous go a long way, especially when your dealer has been nothing but helpful)
Old 08-30-2010, 04:53 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
I've brought my SA and the techs donuts before.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
At year-end holiday time, I go here:

http://www.winecountrygiftbaskets.com/

and send something for the service team. Feedback has been very good on the product and they are very appreciative

Right after the purchase, I sent the same to the Sales Manager, who actually was our salesperson.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Niti24

I bought my dealer a bottle of wine. He's a good friend of mine and always gives me the best deal!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Junkmonkey.......You obviously have paid for an oil change yet. lol
Old 08-31-2010, 11:16 AM

MB C-300 Sport 2009 Manual Black XPIPE+Exhaust
Originally Posted by JimPap
Junkmonkey.......You obviously have paid for an oil change yet. lol
hahaha good one.

BTW:i mean trust me I understand some of you would want to send something to the dealer for the great customer service, but every dealer I went through in LA was nothing more than an *** I mean not a total *** but did not provide me with god customer service, when i was purchasing the benz they didnt even ask me if i wanted to test drive it, and when my sister asked for a hat they didnt even bother to answer the question they just brushed it off, lol so after I bough my benz she bought a new X5 xdrive package or w.e its called. Thats just me.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
My SA always gets a 20 from me whenever I visit. Then again, I never schedule any appointments. I just show up.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
I will send gifts now and again to the Service Advisor. I think in the end, it won't hurt, and might only help me.

They are also good about getting my car done in just a couple hours even though I still want to take a loaner.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Shouldn't they be giving you a $20 every now and then? Not the other way around?

I haven't seen a coupon for a discount on an oil change...even though I've heard some dealerships do this.

Last edited by JimPap; 08-31-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:03 PM

\
I bought my last SA a case of oil, since the Mobil 1 they use for oil changes retails for $30 a quart in Europe. So far I've just thrown my US SA some high cost labor stuff, knowing that it's pretty much pure profit for the dealership. $600 to install my laser interceptor, seriously? I had a car stereo shop quote me $200. Still, I brought it in because they comp me left and right. Recently I drove through a puddle, and the splash guard was knocked loose, and then driving down the highway I heard a thump thump thump and when I pulled over and inspected it.. it had been rubbing against the tire and wore a hole through it. I brought it in, expecting a warranty claim, but Mercedes declines all warranty claims on that part because hitting a parking stop will knock it loose. Not my case, since I back into parking spots.. long story short, after a brief chat with his manager, they decided to just write off the $160 part plus labor. Awesome service, I told him I would bring in my new radar detector and let them install the two wires to my dome light for an hour of labor, which is $120.. but maybe I should also bring them both a bottle of wine.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
At $250-$500 for routine service I think you're already giving the dealership a gift by choosing them over an independent to complete your scheduled maint... Sorry but I don't think they need anything "extra".

Now if MB chooses to go with free maintenance for the first 3 years ala BMW and VW then I might bring them something.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
MBnewby,

Do you really think the buyers of BMWs aren't paying for that 3 year maintenance in the purchase of their cars?
Old 09-02-2010, 02:31 AM

2010 W204
Personally, this really depends how good the custmor service is. I've been visiting several different brand dealerships in the past year. And the MB service department I visited wasn't good enough that I would wanna bring a gift over. Lexus, on the other hand, really provided me and my friends a wonderful cusmor service.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport 4matic
not my SA, but I do keep in contact with the salesperson whom I bought from and stop by from time to time to chat (the dealership is across the street from the Home Depot).
I do send holiday cards.

Like any business, if they treat me well, than my gift to them is good word of mouth advertising, positive reviews on Yelp, and good comments to their superiors.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
MBnewby,

Do you really think the buyers of BMWs aren't paying for that 3 year maintenance in the purchase of their cars?
They may pay for it in the price of the car but you got to give it to BMW/VW/Audi who all do the free service in my area, it is a great marketing scheme if nothing else. As a consumer it is always nice to "feel" like you are getting something extra for your significant investment in a new car. MB sells a maint. package which is a few thousand extra if I remember correctly which is essentially the same thing, but that's just it, it feels like you're paying extra for what BMW "gives" you...

I am curious to see how MB changes their routine service prices when they start selling B classes and 4 cyl. C classes here in the next few years? Do you think that people who buy a B Class will really pay $250/$450 for routine maintenance? I don't think so...the B Class especially is aimed at a more entry level market such as those who would normally buy a domestic or Mazda/Nissan/Toyota/etc. I think it would make more sense to charge less for service on B/C/GLK Class compared to CLS/S/SL/etc. Thus MB could appeal to a broader demographic, which is really what they're going for with introducing the B Class in the U.S. right?
Old 06-10-2011, 05:21 PM

Mercedez
Well I like your way of thinking.So,nice for it.Sometimes the dealers should also be given gift so they will also be happy & will work on their own with taking kind interest in their work.There are all class of people living in a roof so I don't think that everybody are able to buy Audi/Mercede Benz/Q-Class etc.... quite expensive cars.So,the dealers should be given gifts according to the status or level the customer can afford & we should not show-off.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:47 AM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
To all of you saying "no", and they charge too much or whatever, there is no dispute that they maybe overpriced on their services. But it really doesn't take much to separate yourself from the crowd of people they deal with on a daily basis, and that may make the difference between "yes, its covered" or "nope, you're on your own"... So don't come back here *****ing about how your SA didn't step up to the plate when you asked him for help with a warranty claim or anything above and beyond.

When my BMW was still under their warranty/maintenance plan, and once I established who my dealer and SA were, I always gave him a $20 Starbucks gift card. It isn't much but in the long run, he took care of so much crap for me that he wasn't required to, so it paid back in multiples.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:51 AM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
MBnewby,

And which car manufacturer is actually giving away "FREE" maintenance for their cars?

And please don't say Toyota... There is "a reason" why they started doing that.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:00 AM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by aowhaus
Like any business, if they treat me well, than my gift to them is good word of mouth advertising, positive reviews on Yelp, and good comments to their superiors.
That's like saying "Like any friendship, if my friend treats me well, I'll tell my other friends that I like him, I'll post nice comments on Facebook about him... etc."

Now, don't get me wrong... I am not saying we're obligated to give them anything nor am I saying they're entitled to receive anything. But as far as I am concerned, I'll buy lunch/dinner/drink for a friend every once in a while, and I do give my SA a little something every now and then.