C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Why did you choose the W204 over its competitors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250 CGI
hey people I'm from Egypt and where i come from the benz is way more expensive than the BMW but After-Sales is much better but from my point of view the thing that sold the car for me was the interior design which was way better looking and had a better finish. But I need advice about my car cuz i just bought it last May and it tends to shutdown during driving I wrote a Forum about it plz search C250 CGI engine stalls
Old 09-08-2010, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I always loved the way BMW's look on the road (exterior), and every time I see one, I think to myself, I will get that car next. But when the time comes around and I sit in the car and test drive it, it doesn't really impress me. That coupled with the fact that the interior is VERY bland and looks identical across the entire product line turned me off. Not to mention that the sales people at BMW and Audi are very snobbish. BMW, "We don't negotiate, we don't have to, the sales process is much more straightforward and simple this way."
Audi, "Audi doesn't really get aggressive with pricing because they feel they don't have to. We sell more cars than BMW and Mercedes combined -- In Europe"

Really??? BMW is nice, don't get me wrong, but nothing like the reputation of a Mercedes, at least not here in the states. I like audi's and I don't knock their cars, even though they have gotten a bad reputation for mechanical issues in the past. But the thing that bugs me about them is that they don't discount the cars, and the cars aren't even that nice, interior is ok, and the exterior is subject to preference. I don't appreciate that they say they are better than BMW or Mercedes because they sell more cars in europe than them combined. I don't really think its a good thing. That could be because people in Europe don't care as much about status or true luxury and are willing to spare a few euros and opt for the Audi. The final straw with me about Audi is that you can't even buy your cars if you wanted to. I wanted to get a 2010 A5 in june of this year, granted I wanted a pretty popular package, but I was pretty flexible. Turns out that they were sold out in the entire eastern region (besides for oddball colors or equipment) and that I could order a 2011 and get it in like October... I was not going to wait almost 1/2 a year for a friggin Audi that isn't even that nice, so I got the C-Class and never looked back since.

Last edited by jctevere; 09-08-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
My first pick was a Jaguar XK Supercharged, but they would not allow me to trade in, only offered to sell my old car on consignment. Mercedes offered me $10k more than BMW on my trade-in, had a more masculine appearance than the BMW, and I was really impressed with the 7sp auto transmission and COMAND system.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
I was all set on a 335i or xi until I drove one...the ride was very harsh. Great for the track I suppose but not great for a Dad with two kids under age three! The back seat of the BMW was also quite cramped compared to the C350. The 335 was a rocket though and I enjoyed the test drive. I think my C looks much better than the 335 and there is plenty of room in the back seat for both my boys, not to mention the ride is much more forgiving and power is sufficient. (It is still puzzling to me how MB couldn't or wouldn't get 300 hp out of the 3.5L V6?) It is still a sporty suspension but will not knock your fillings out. I actually think the new A4 would be a great car if I could afford one...Audi is way overpriced in my opinion by 5-10 grand on most models and historically unreliable. I also liked the G37 a lot but I just couldn't get used to that styling, way too roundy, not really sporty at all.

I really like what I've seen and read about the new BMW 3 series and X1 compact crossover though so I may be headed that way in a couple of years. We now have a new Jeep GC for family outings so I can go a little more sporty with my next purchase. If my C350 had 4matic and 300 hp, I'd probably never get rid of it...too bad MB didn't make it that way.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:34 PM

08 C350 Sport
I love BMWs, and I do have an M3, but 3series are too expensive price/options combination and older one looked not as good as 350 Sport. Also, ride of 328 or 335 was too harsh for my family. I love BMW handling and like it over MB, but comfort, options and relaxed drve was more important for me than sportiness at this time. Next 4 door car will be definitely 535 or something. I do not like look of new E class, this small C350 Sport looks stunning and design is really nice. BMW improved a bit with their facelift, but still Bangle's screwed up design still there.

Also, this is my first MB, it feels MB, but I must confess that BMWs are more tighter and feel more solid built.

In any BMW you feel like a sport driver, in MB you feel more like relaxed sitting in luxury chair. Both have ther advantages, just depends on what you want to drive at some point in your life.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:02 PM

c300 4matic
Originally Posted by davezaristo
same here..otherwise 335i no question..
Ditto on the $10K off sticker. I'm usually a BMW guy, but it was too good a deal to pass up. We'll see how much of it I get back in a couple of years.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:12 PM

2010 C350
I went to special order an A4 Quattro. I was told that I would be lucky if they came down $500 off of retail. I got up, thanked the sales lady, left. Decided to go by the Mercedes dealer, test drove a C300 stick and a C350. Well, I know drive a C350. The BMW and Audi dealer are owned by the same owner, and are side by side, so why bother after my experience with Audi.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by wanchu83
...I LOVE handling of BMW over benz anytime.
I have owned numerous BMW's 3, 5 and 7-Series and M3/M5 variants. I am thoroughly impressed with my C300 Sport handling. Don't get too caught up in the "UDM" hysteria. The handling and steering feel of my C300 trumps most BMW's I have owned (and don't think that didn't surpise the crap out of me).
Old 09-09-2010, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
'17 GTR, '17 GLC43, '14 Panigale 899, '20 V4
Originally Posted by jlb0125
I went to special order an A4 Quattro. I was told that I would be lucky if they came down $500 off of retail. I got up, thanked the sales lady, left. Decided to go by the Mercedes dealer, test drove a C300 stick and a C350. Well, I know drive a C350. The BMW and Audi dealer are owned by the same owner, and are side by side, so why bother after my experience with Audi.
Because the first half of the year set records in the US for Audi sales. So yeah they weren't about to budge on price when they've had their best quarter in US history.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:07 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by mr inkredibul
Because the first half of the year set records in the US for Audi sales. So yeah they weren't about to budge on price when they've had their best quarter in US history.
the B8 is indeed very nice tho.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:01 AM

2008 C300 Sport, 2010 RX350 AWD
Was considering IS250, 330i & G37 but each had their own fatal flaws to me..

IS250 - You have no idea how cranky I felt when I sat in the car, lowered the seat to lowest setting and still feel I have no headroom...

330i - I hate the look of BMW instrument cluster and center console...

G37 - My brother has a 06 G35 which is tons of fun to drive but the road noise is unbearable to me...

My dad drives a 06 c230, which I didn't like at all, but I fall in love w/ the look of w204 the moment I saw it and once I took the test drive..I felt MB get it just right..
Old 09-09-2010, 05:56 AM

'09 C300 Sport 4Matic Arctic White
In the end , it came down to the A4 2.0T and the Benz. The Benz won out for 3 reasons:

1. My previous car was AWD and lowered so I wanted something just as planted. The A4 was too floaty, especially in the backseat. The Benz felt wide and low, just the way I like it.

2. Looks. Although everyone and their sister (and aunties) has a white W204, I still think it looks totally badass. The 3-series sedan doesn't do it for me. The A4 looks very clean (especially tinted and lowered), but in the end, a bit bland.

3. Awesome deal on the Benz. Audi couldn't match the %diff off MSRP. However, if money weren't an issue in this class, I'd go 3-series coupe all the way.

My next car will be a 3-series unless this new C-class coupe blows me away! Is this being unveiled at Paris Motor Show? Will be in Paris in Oct so I will have to check it out!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:38 AM

2014 E63 S Hyacinth Red with Designo Ivory interior/ 2015 GLE63S Cavansite Blue
I have always been wanting to get a BMW when I was young kid. My grandad was a die-hard Merc fellow and he drove his Merc religiously and swore by it. My dad followed his footsteps and has been a Merc fan to this day. I, on the hand, wanted something different from my family, so not Merc for me.

BMW always seem to look fresher and up to technology, very appealing in so many ways. The BMW pulling up alongside the Benz at the lights always seemed to be more impressive, modern and aggressive. Until W204 came along...............

Test drove it and that was it.
Even tho it was just a C200 Kompressor, I was already impressed by it. Now the AMG C63 is haunting me.... in time. For now, I'm W204 happy.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:12 AM

2016 C63, 2009 C3004M
Didn't even pay attention to MB; Had it in sight only for years down the road. Saw a white W204 in 2008 and that changed it all.

To be honest, I didn't really give myself any alternatives. Knowing a friend that works at MB dealership, I just walked in. I wanted white/black originally, but also in stock ready for pickup. He showed me a Palladium Silver on an E or something in the showroom which I saw for the first time and the next thing we were talking prices. When I was ready to leave, he asked, do you want to see it in the lot? lol

$54K later, I discovered the C63, but I asked for something modest for all seasons and not a speedster. No regrets after 26000 KM's.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic
Thumbs up

First of all, because since I'm 5 years old...I want a Benz! This is my first one and it's truly a love story!

Second, This car was tested 14 000 000 miles before they got it out of the factory...so I suppose the build quality and integrity to be 5 stars

Finally, because I love the look, handling and safety features this car has.

The W204 is my first Benz....and hopefully not my last one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78hDOqnK1gA
Old 09-10-2010, 10:46 AM

2013 C250 Coupe
I came from 2007 BMW 335i (still had the twin turbos) and the only thing I can really say is I enjoyed engine-- that's it. I had leased the car and if I was more interested at the time at modding the vehicle, maybe my opinion would have changed...but then again I was leasing it. It didn't help that my overall experience with the vehicle was pretty poor as well. It felt like every two months or so I had to bring the car in for some sort of electronic related problem--trunk unlocking and opening during driving, engine check light turning on, key not being recognized (multiple times), lighting errors.

Man, then came the end of my lease when I had the car inspected--I had about 3 weeks left and I wasn't quite sure between the c-class or buying out the car or picking up a brand new 335i. First thing, the inspector tells me theres a tiny crack that's in line of the drivers view so the whole windshield has to be replaced--no biggie insurance can help with that. Then he tells me since the car has to be returned as originally purchased I needed to buy new tires for all four wheels...run-flats...contis...$1k. And to top it all off, $30 bucks for the cigarette lighter I had lost (I didn't even notice), really? Mind you that they hadn't even asked me if I would continue to stay with BMW. In the end, I guess that's what I get for leasing with them though.

The rest of my reasons for choosing the Merc was answered by everyone else. That's my beef with BMW.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by Strfry
Then he tells me since the car has to be returned as originally purchased I needed to buy new tires for all four wheels...run-flats...contis...$1k.
You gotta be kidding me?? That is ridiculous!
Old 09-10-2010, 01:25 PM

'09 C300 4Matic Sport
I was 3k miles over the lease on my 07 C280 with 5 months left. Mercedes agreed to buy out the last 5 payments and would not charge me for the extra miles if I re-leased through them...so I went with the C300.

i was living in NJ at the time so the AWD was a must for the winter so the C fit the bill. While I still like my C I definitely would've gone for the A5 if I wasn't over my miles and could've waited til the end of my previous lease.

Now that I'm living in Florida the Corvette convertible is my top choice for when my current lease is up...unless of course MB comes up with something special for the C-coupe or c-convertible
Old 09-11-2010, 08:31 PM

2013 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by C300Sport
You gotta be kidding me?? That is ridiculous!
Yea, man. What made things even worse is the fact that I had thrown on some new lo-pros a few months prior thinking I could turn it over...negative. With all the problems I had on the technical side, it's like you said on another post (i think?) it's all luck of the draw and I can't hold it against them. I think in the long-run I'll probably pick up another BMW but buy it--I mean lets face it, MB ,BMW, Audi all make beautiful vehicles.