C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

So...strange issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
So...strange issue

About a month ago I posted that my ipod interface was tripping out. It worked maybe 30% of the time and sometimes made my ipod screen flicker and jumble, etc. I haven't had time to worry about it so I just left it. Today I plugged my ipod in and it worked, but 15 mins into my drive it just died completely. I gave up, unplugged it, and stuck a cd in.

WELL...now my steering wheel radio controls dont work at all, the audio menu in the speedometer comes up as "----" and there isn't any interaction between the car and the audio system. It doesn't even turn on and off with the car..I have to do it manually. IE..if I stop my car, pull the key out, get out, lock it and walk away...the entire mm system stays on..lcd screen and all, music blasting.

So basically my question to you all is...wtf? lol

Side note...my bluetooth never works anymore either...it used to work beautifully but for the past few months it detects my phone 1 out of every 20 times I get in my car..so basically almost never. I'm beginning to think the entire system is fried.

I did a search but all I could find was that a fuse could've blown..but if that were the case I would think the system wouldn't work at all, and it still does.

Last edited by C300Kid; 11-22-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:22 PM

N/A
still under warranty?
Old 11-22-2010, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is under warranty. I'm guessing from the lack of responses that this is not typical lol.

I already have an appointment set up..my only question is this (general question for anyone)..should I remove my aftermarket hid kit before I bring the car in? I've had it installed forever, had zero issues, and the car has been serviced with it multiple times..I only ask because it's the only mod I've done that is in any way related to the car's electronics.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c350
It should only effect the lighting portion of your warranty . Why not call a different service center and ask them .
Old 11-22-2010, 06:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
Originally Posted by C300Kid
It is under warranty. I'm guessing from the lack of responses that this is not typical lol.

I already have an appointment set up..my only question is this (general question for anyone)..should I remove my aftermarket hid kit before I bring the car in? I've had it installed forever, had zero issues, and the car has been serviced with it multiple times..I only ask because it's the only mod I've done that is in any way related to the car's electronics.
Your MB dealer can deny the warranty (specially ELECTRONIC parts) because you already temper with the after market add on parts. Myself, if I add something to my car, I only use OEM part. I will add after market when my warranty expire. My boy add 8K XENON light to his 08GS350, causing all kind of weird errors, LEXUS dealer do not honor the warranty on his car, quote enormous bill to have it fix. He took out the xexon. the problems going away. He still haggle with LEXUS about the knocking sound (valve & cam) when start up (mechanically). He learn his lesson good. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
That is B.S. The only way that they can deny your warranty on that type of thing is if they PROVE that your HID kit is causing these errors. Now in your friends case, it is possible that it was and they might have evidence. But I doubt that C300kid's problems are caused by his HID kit.

I guess it is always better to be safe than sorry and remove the HID kit. I wouldn't even un-mount the ballasts, just leave the ballasts and unplug the cables, Just stick in the halogen bulbs. You don't have to do this, but why not, takes 15 minutes, and if the problem is as bad as you say it is, you definitely don't want to get stuck with that bill.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks guys, I'll take 'em out. I can't hide that it's been tampered with though as there will be holes in the dust covers.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:08 PM

09 ml350 4matic
you shouldn't need to take your HIDs out. when i got my car, they didn't have one with lighting package. my sales guy suggested that i go aftermarket as it is cheaper. i asked will it void my warranty and they said no it wouldn't. i got this confirmed by 3 sales dudes and the financing manager. i even made the dealer cover the cost for my HID system and i didn't go cheap on them.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
It doesn't matter that the holes will be in the dust covers, suspicion that you have used your HID is different than evidence that they have. Trust me, they will never go so far as to deny your warranty. It doesn't come out of their pocket, they pass the expense along to mercedes corporate and get re-imbursed and there guys get money. That said, I think you will be fine just leaving the HID in.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks again everyone. Here's the deal..

I ended up bringing it in but I made the appointment with a new dealership as I haven't been thrilled with my initial dealer and it was way out of the way anyway. New dealer calls me today and says the ipod interface was installed wrong and basically fried my stereo. He said it looks aftermarket and asked who installed it.

Keep in mind that this is the ipod interface that came installed in my brand new car and listed on the window sticker as a $375 factory option.

Seriously

Anyway..I haven't heard either way but I'm guessing this dealership can't do anything as (to my surprise) it's not a Mercedes-related issue so hopefully the dealer I bought the car from will make good on this..I imagine a new stereo won't be cheap. I'd prefer to have the new dealer fix the car and install the actual MB ipod interface and ask the initial dealer to cut me a check for the expense..I doubt they would without seeing the car though.

Last edited by C300Kid; 11-29-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe

I ended up bringing it in but I made the appointment with a new dealership as I haven't been thrilled with my initial dealer and it was way out of the way anyway. New dealer calls me today and says the ipod interface was installed wrong and basically fried my stereo. He said it looks aftermarket and asked who installed it.

Keep in mind that this is the ipod interface that came installed in my brand new car and listed on the window sticker as a $375 factory option.

Seriously

Anyway..I haven't heard either way but I'm guessing this dealership can't do anything as (to my surprise) it's not a Mercedes-related issue so hopefully the dealer I bought the car from will make good on this..I imagine a new stereo won't be cheap. I'd prefer to have the new dealer fix the car and install the actual MB ipod interface and ask the initial dealer to cut me a check for the expense..I doubt they would without seeing the car though.
That is very odd. I have never heard of the adapter "frying" a radio. And what's further, if its clearly on your window sticker and is orignal equipment for your vehicle, why the hell isn't it a "mercedes related problem" take a trip to your original dealer, see what they say. Sounds like a load of B.S.

My guess is that the dealership doesn't really know what the problem is, or isn't willing to figure it out...
Old 11-29-2010, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
'17 GTR, '17 GLC43, '14 Panigale 899, '20 V4

Seriously

Any option whether it is factory installed or dealer installed is covered under warranty. Just need prove....either the sticker or the installation receipt. They can look up the vin for factory options though so you don't really need the sticker.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm pretty sure it is related to the iPod interface. It started working less and less and when it fully died, everything died with it..it's gotta be the issue.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mr inkredibul
Any option whether it is factory installed or dealer installed is covered under warranty. Just need prove....either the sticker or the installation receipt. They can look up the vin for factory options though so you don't really need the sticker.
Good info..thank you. I do have the window sticker which clearly lists the iPod interface as a $375 option.

It's not even like I asked the dealer to install it, it was already part of the car.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update..

- It's definitely related to the ipod interface

- They verified it is a genuine MB part, thought not the right one for the C-Class, and the install was a hack job.

- Their tech has spent hours with my car (since Fri) and wants to get paid, but they're saying it can't be considered warranty work.

-This looks like it's going to be a battle between both dealers and/or Mercedes..in the meantime my car is stranded there till it's resolved.

lol..
Old 11-29-2010, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
When you make reference to the "window sticker", do you mean 1) the original Monroney label applied by Mercedes-Benz, or 2) an add-on sticker applied by the dealer, such as when they also add on paint sealant, fabric protection, etc.?

If the former, what is the possible rationale for denying warranty coverage to an OE part, installed in the MB plant, in a vehicle currently under warranty, unless they are alleging that you damaged it? They cannot just say "no"...there must be a reason.

If the latter, the current dealer may be suspecting that the first dealer did essentially an "aftermarket" install, even though using MB parts at that MB dealer.

Can you clarify the situation further?
Old 11-29-2010, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sportstick
When you make reference to the "window sticker", do you mean 1) the original Monroney label applied by Mercedes-Benz, or 2) an add-on sticker applied by the dealer, such as when they also add on paint sealant, fabric protection, etc.?

If the former, what is the possible rationale for denying warranty coverage to an OE part, installed in the MB plant, in a vehicle currently under warranty, unless they are alleging that you damaged it? They cannot just say "no"...there must be a reason.

If the latter, the current dealer may be suspecting that the first dealer did essentially an "aftermarket" install, even though using MB parts at that MB dealer.

Can you clarify the situation further?
"057 iPod Integration Kit" is listed under Optional Equipment on the original Monroney window sticker applied by Mercedes-Benz.

I have no idea how they're saying it's not a Mercedes-related issue. They said the dealer I bought the car from installed it incorrectly..although I'd assume since it's on the original sticker it was factory-installed.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
"057 iPod Integration Kit" is listed under Optional Equipment on the original Monroney window sticker applied by Mercedes-Benz.

I have no idea how they're saying it's not a Mercedes-related issue. They said the dealer I bought the car from installed it incorrectly..although I'd assume since it's on the original sticker it was factory-installed.
O.K....your position seems stronger. It is irrelevant to the buyer how or where the item was installed if it is on the original Monroney label and was on the new car when you took delivery. It may be put on in the plant, the port of entry, or during dealer prep, but your rights are the same, regardless, as only agents of Daimler or MBUSA have ever touched the part, and they issue the warranty. The current dealer will be reimbursed by MBUSA, not the installing dealer. MBUSA may have a later internal chargeback to the installing dealer if the situation merits, but that has no relevance to you.

Get on the phone with the MB Customer Relations line right now if they are holding your car hostage and politely demand the return of your car. This is their internal problem and they have no basis to hold your car nor seek a mechanics lien.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sportstick
O.K....your position seems stronger. It is irrelevant to the buyer how or where the item was installed if it is on the original Monroney label and was on the new car when you took delivery. It may be put on in the plant, the port of entry, or during dealer prep, but your rights are the same, regardless, as only agents of Daimler or MBUSA have ever touched the part, and they issue the warranty. The current dealer will be reimbursed by MBUSA, not the installing dealer. MBUSA may have a later internal chargeback to the installing dealer if the situation merits, but that has no relevance to you.

Get on the phone with the MB Customer Relations line right now if they are holding your car hostage and politely demand the return of your car. This is their internal problem and they have no basis to hold your car nor seek a mechanics lien.
They're not physically holding my car hostage, nor are they asking for payment from me yet..I just meant my car is at the dealer till this is resolved. They gave me a 2010 c300 to drive so I'm fine.

I just feel like dealer #2 still thinks this was an aftermarket job and are thinking they wont get paid by MB if they fix it. I just emailed the service advisor and stated it was listed on the monroney label, therefore it was a Mercedes-installed option.

I'm not sure how it could've been a hack job and done with incorrect parts considering it was installed by MB.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
Originally Posted by jctevere
That is B.S. The only way that they can deny your warranty on that type of thing is if they PROVE that your HID kit is causing these errors. Now in your friends case, it is possible that it was and they might have evidence. But I doubt that C300kid's problems are caused by his HID kit.

I guess it is always better to be safe than sorry and remove the HID kit. I wouldn't even un-mount the ballasts, just leave the ballasts and unplug the cables, Just stick in the halogen bulbs. You don't have to do this, but why not, takes 15 minutes, and if the problem is as bad as you say it is, you definitely don't want to get stuck with that bill.
Electrical systems are promiscuous and HID kits use out of spec electronics. It's very easy to void a warranty on the entire electrical system for the installation of any after-market electronic equipment unless it conforms to manufacturer specifications.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
'17 GTR, '17 GLC43, '14 Panigale 899, '20 V4
Originally Posted by Peabody
Electrical systems are promiscuous and HID kits use out of spec electronics. It's very easy to void a warranty on the entire electrical system for the installation of any after-market electronic equipment unless it conforms to manufacturer specifications.
Agreed! Just remove them. Even if they didn't cause the failure, if get into a pissing match with the dealer and you will lose!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Peabody may be correct. Removing the aftermarket electronics may not rervert the complex circuitry to its original state. My exotic V12's system was permanently damaged by a previous owner installing an aftermarket alarm, as the door key, electric windows, lights, speedometer, and central computer (also the ECU) are all interconnected. Reason: the windows roll up over 100 MPH, which uses the door key circuit which also opens or closes the windows, all controlled by the same circuitry in the ECU, etc etc.
Consider: The iPod interface problem may just be a symptom of another issue, where the electric steering manages the headlamp directional servos, which is also determined by the vehicle's speed, which interfaces with the Bluetooth and audio volume that lowers when the speed is reduced. The integration and relations are complex, for instance the TCU receives data for shifting from 6 separate sources.
As for the iPod integration kit, the original MB dealer should be questioned as to whether they actually did the installation or if it was factory installed. In EITHER case, it has to be covered under MB warranty, but only in the case that it was IMPOSSIBLE that the aftermarkert HID caused this complicated system glitch.
Question: Did the iPod interface, steering wheel controls and Bluetooth work PERFECTLY since new and for a time and only after the HID installation, start working erratically?

Last edited by Acapulco Bill; 11-30-2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-05-2010, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update..

The ipod interface was a factory installed option, guess someone in Germany screwed up the install haha. They fixed everything under warranty, I'm good.

I left the HIDs in as they clearly were unrelated to the issue. Nothing was said about them.

Bill..nah, the HIDs have been in forever..never had any issues. This was unrelated.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
@C300Kid - Thats GREAT, glad it was just the original installation, there is lots of Pakistani labor and Greek supervisors in working in Germany, no offense intended.
Were you able to find out if there was an iPod amplifier installed and if it was sourced from Germany? Does your iPod now play at the same volume and clarity as an original CD?
Old 12-05-2010, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
C300kid,

Years ago, I learned that one of the local car dealers was having manufacturer's price stickers printed up. The only way this makes sense is that they were either modifying prices or adding add ons and making it look like it was OEM.

Your situation sure sounds a lot like this.

Oops...just saw your last post.
So you got your car back and everything working well all under warranty?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So...strange issue