C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Igntion Switch & Steering Column Lock - '08 C350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350
Igntion Switch & Steering Column Lock - '08 C350

Please help.
Came out of the grocery store the other day and put they key in the ignition and it immediately said, "Remove your key from ignition". The key would turn but the mirrors wouldn't unfold, the steering column wouldn't unlock, radio WOULD come on but windows wouldn't operate. 51,486 mile car, so warranty expired 1486 miles ago.

Towed it in to MB. They said they did a diagnostic on it and it a bad ignition switch. $900 plus labor but since it's just out of warranty and I have always had car serviced there, they're giving me the part for $586 + tax + labor. I said go for it. They called again and said the ignition switch didn't fix the problem. They said that it was some module in the column that locked the column. A $300 part + $200 labor. He said he had "GREAT NEWS" though. They were going to install that part for free and only charge me for the ignition switch. Service advisor says that the ignition switch was also bad but give me a break. If both components were bad, they would charge me for both components. They're not in the business of giving away free parts and labor.

I think the ignition switch was never bad and they made a bad diagnosis. now they want me to pay $800 parts and labor for a $500 fix. How can I get them to prove the ignition switch was bad? I told him I wanted to see the report that indicated the ignition switch was bad. Should they have that?
Old 11-25-2010, 06:26 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Throwing parts at a problem

Originally Posted by CooterBrown
Please help.
Came out of the grocery store the other day and put they key in the ignition and it immediately said, "Remove your key from ignition". The key would turn but the mirrors wouldn't unfold, the steering column wouldn't unlock, radio WOULD come on but windows wouldn't operate. 51,486 mile car, so warranty expired 1486 miles ago.

Towed it in to MB. They said they did a diagnostic on it and it a bad ignition switch. $900 plus labor but since it's just out of warranty and I have always had car serviced there, they're giving me the part for $586 + tax + labor. I said go for it. They called again and said the ignition switch didn't fix the problem. They said that it was some module in the column that locked the column. A $300 part + $200 labor. He said he had "GREAT NEWS" though. They were going to install that part for free and only charge me for the ignition switch. Service advisor says that the ignition switch was also bad but give me a break. If both components were bad, they would charge me for both components. They're not in the business of giving away free parts and labor.

I think the ignition switch was never bad and they made a bad diagnosis. now they want me to pay $800 parts and labor for a $500 fix. How can I get them to prove the ignition switch was bad? I told him I wanted to see the report that indicated the ignition switch was bad. Should they have that?
I think you are on to them.

Tell them that you want the "defective" parts back unless they are going to warranty them.

I'm beginning to wonder about an extended warranty for my 2008 with 24K miles on it.