C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Nav 4 vs Multimedia Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport 4matic
Nav 4 vs Multimedia Package

Hello MB Enthusiasts!

i am new to the wonderful world of MB and need a bit of advice. I would like to have a navigation in my new C300 but I am not sure whether i should to go for the big screen navigation with Multi-media package or if Nav 4 w UMI would suffice. Any advise regard will be much appreciated! Is voice activation functional? Is it necessary?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
I may have a minority point of view, but my answer is "neither". Those who have the MB nav are not full of praise for how well it works, screen display, etc. Rather than spend $2500 for the nav or about $2000 for the retrofit, I spent $500 for a top of the line Garmin and picked up an Arkon vent mount on Amazon for about $5. The Garmin navigation is unbeatable, I can take it with me when I travel, the mounting location works very well and it all stores nicely in the glove box until I need it (I don't get lost every day!), and I kept at least $1500 for better uses.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:37 AM

C300 Sport 4matic
Sportstcik, thank you. I have been using Garmin stand alone navigation myself. I think it does the job just fine but now i am ready to try the built-in version. So the question is still out : is the Nav 4 UMI sufficient or there really an added benefit of having the Multi-media package that worth the money. IMHO it is mostly about: big and nice navigation screen and the voice activation. Does anybody use voice activation? Is it convenient or pretty useless?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by Mers2010
...Does anybody use voice activation? Is it convenient or pretty useless?
I used it in 7-Series and liked the auto-muting, etc but for the C300 I went the way of Sportstick. I like only having to keep one Nav system updated. I added Euro maps to the Garmin and take it on vacation, etc. I cannot comment on the MB voice activation but if you really want an integrated system, I would get the top of the line system.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E300 4MATIC Sedan
I have the UMI ( Nav +4 ) in my car and I am pleased with it. If all you want is navigation, though, $2000 is a lot to spend. If the other features appeal to you ( play music from a USB drive, iPod integration, bluetooth streaming ) it is a pretty nice system. The free live traffic is a nice feature as well ( not sure if you get that with the Garmin or the "big screen" nav, but here in Chicago it only works near the city and on the expressways ( I live out in the burbs ).

I assume you do not have the car yet ? I do regret not having the Harman Kardon audio, but I may upgrade the stock speakers if I can find a good installer.

It looks like the multimedia package is $2700 ( vs $1300 for the UMI ) so that's a pretty big difference. I would probably go for the UMI and the HK ( for $800 ) and pocket the $600 saved.

Hope that helps...

Nick
Old 12-09-2010, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350, 2012 SL550
I, too, have UMI (Nav+4). It doesn't have voice activation. You ask if that is necessary - obviously not, most nav systems don't have it. Is it desirable? Probably depends on the individual. I don't miss it.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:23 AM

2013 BMW 528Xi; 2010 C300 SportW4 - sold; 1964 230SL
On a flip side, I can't love the voice activation enough - it's a great feature. I can do almost everything through it, with little to no issues. It was a must for me.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by NickCats
The free live traffic is a nice feature as well ( not sure if you get that with the Garmin or the "big screen" nav
Yes, my two year old 775T has free live traffic, and newer units have launched since.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:54 PM

C300 Sport 4matic
Thank you all, the opinions seem to divide, but the conclusion that either the big screen or the Nav 4 should do the job.

Interesting point regarding Harman Kardon audio option and we are all enjoying a good sound. Does anybody else feel that HK is a must?
Old 12-10-2010, 01:35 AM

C350
if u can b satisfied wth a pretty good decent sound system., the hk package'd do it.. but if u want hot sound systems which can handle higher spl., i'd say go wth the normal stock sound system n' upgrade it later.. n' i'd say go for the big screen mm package... there's nothin more sexier than a motorized retractable screen... the voice activation works pretty well.. go for it n' u won't regret...
Old 12-10-2010, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Thank you all, the opinions seem to divide, but the conclusion that either the big screen or the Nav 4 should do the job.

Interesting point regarding Harman Kardon audio option and we are all enjoying a good sound. Does anybody else feel that HK is a must?
I'm a firm believer in ordering my cars loaded. If you want navi, don't cheap out and get the nav4. If you want the speakers, get it, otherwise you'll regret it later on. These are Mercedes benz's, so just order it and treat yourself right. I know that this is just a "baby" benz, but for many, it is an experience. Don't ruin your experience with "what if's" and regrets.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:23 PM

C300 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by Sportstick
I may have a minority point of view, but my answer is "neither". Those who have the MB nav are not full of praise for how well it works, screen display, etc. Rather than spend $2500 for the nav or about $2000 for the retrofit, I spent $500 for a top of the line Garmin and picked up an Arkon vent mount on Amazon for about $5. The Garmin navigation is unbeatable, I can take it with me when I travel, the mounting location works very well and it all stores nicely in the glove box until I need it (I don't get lost every day!), and I kept at least $1500 for better uses.
If one gets a C300 that has no navigation package at all (neither Nav4 UMI no the Multi-media big screen nav) the Sportstcik advise would be the way to go. I have a couple of questions in this regard:
1. There will be no screen at all in the car. How does the blue tooth cell phone connection work in this case? You have to work completely off the phone screen i imagine ...
Old 12-10-2010, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
If one gets a C300 that has no navigation package at all (neither Nav4 UMI no the Multi-media big screen nav) the Sportstcik advise would be the way to go. I have a couple of questions in this regard:
1. There will be no screen at all in the car. How does the blue tooth cell phone connection work in this case? You have to work completely off the phone screen i imagine ...
It works perfectly. There is a screen for the radio. I was able to snap this shot during vehicle start which shows the brief message over the radio screen that my Bold 9700 was recognized by Bluetooth. This requires no action on my part, other than the phone being in or near the car. Calls are answered through the steering wheel buttons, or can be dialed out using the number keypad on the car's center stack. The system is very seamless!
Attached Thumbnails Nav 4 vs Multimedia Package-img00003-20101210-1435.jpg