C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

tire pull!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C250 sport
tire pull!

Had to get new front tires today (just got the stock ProContacts again)...and bam...my car tracks straight and true now! No pulling to the right! I previously had a problem where my car would continuously and noticeably pull to the right when driving (yes, had correct tire pressures). But once the new ones were put on today, no more pull!! Did I have a defective tire?!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:58 AM

c300
I think i have the same issue.... i have to drive with the steering wheel slightly towards the right. Got the alignment checked twice and everything was ok. The mechanic told me that since these car grip the road pretty well so they follow the curvature of the road here in MA.
I'm not buying that....should i ask for new set of tires, i just bought the car a month back.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c350
I never had that problem
Before , you can probably get away with rotating them . I need to rotate mine as my peels out hard when I floor it which I do often lol , I'm gonna wait and get new tires when it's warm again .
Old 12-21-2010, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350
Originally Posted by sudhanshu3
I think i have the same issue.... i have to drive with the steering wheel slightly towards the right. Got the alignment checked twice and everything was ok. The mechanic told me that since these car grip the road pretty well so they follow the curvature of the road here in MA.
I'm not buying that....should i ask for new set of tires, i just bought the car a month back.
I'd try a diff alignment shop. Any other MB dealers nearby? I also don't buy his explanation in the least and even so, it defies logic. Roads are slightly higher in the middle and lower on both sides for drainage. Wouldn't you have to hold the wheel slightly towards the left? Anyway i've heard that particular fib before and it always turned out for me to be an excuse after a bad alignment.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
'17 GTR, '17 GLC43, '14 Panigale 899, '20 V4
Originally Posted by sudhanshu3
road crowning possibly?
Old 12-23-2010, 08:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Mercedes C250 Coupe, 1998 SL 600 sport
I just had mine aligned - it was pulling to the left quite hard. Now it is better but I wonder if I wore the tires driving it like that. Probably 5K miles or so. it is much better, but not perfect like it was. It still seems to wonder a bit although it will drift to the right say 40% of the time now. Gonna give it a few thousand miles and see if it gets better. I have about 10K miles left on this second set anyway.
RickP
Old 12-23-2010, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
No road is perfectly flat, they all have some crowning, in order for rain to run off. if the road was flat we would have water settling on hte road surface creating lots od aquaplaning issues. Not that, that doesn't happen now. But if your roads are traveled by tractor trailers, you'll see an increase in crowning on your roads. i can see where that cars tires would pull one way or another. My Mini Cooper S used to do that all the time, by it's narrow track.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I would agree with crowning to a certain extent. But my g37 never did this on the same roads. I have to keep my steering wheel a bit off center to the left to keep me going straight. I have even tested this theory of the road's pitch by driving on the wrong side, it helps, but my car still pulls to the right unless I hold the wheel (while theoretically it should pull to the left); so much so that it overcomes any sloping of the road for runoff.

I have had my car aligned, but it doesn't help, I think it must be a tire thing. Either that, or an issue with 4matic. Has anyone else realized that the car doesn't always pull, or it pulls bad one day, then barely noticeable the next. And keep in mind this is traveling on the same roads.

I find that if my car is already warmed and driven for quite a few miles, I let it rest a bit, then go out to drive again, the problem is minimized. Making me think it has something to do with the tires and/or 4matic?

Also, when the tires are cold I hear a distinctive rubber wobble like sound (hard to explain it) coming from the rear back passenger tire (it seems). Sometimes I think I have a flat tire, but I don't; pressure is consistent and fine, and only that tire makes the noise...

My sister's 2011 never pulls at all, and my 2009 has pulled to the right from day one (bought new). The dealer has said they do alignments and everything is fine... It is very frustrating.

Last edited by jctevere; 12-23-2010 at 12:30 PM.