C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Tire Siz e Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Luxury 4Matic
Tire Siz e Recommendations?

I have an '08 C300 Luxury 4matic. 35,000 miles on original equip. Continental ContiProContact 225/45R17's. Hit a pot-hole last week, I just noticed a bubble on the tread edge/sidewall of the driver-side front tire. I guess I can't wait until Spring to replace tires as I was planning. I'm leaning towards Continental ExtremeContact DWS's. I had them on my last car, an '02 Subaru Impreza WRX, and I loved them.
I'm looking for input on whether changing the width (wider) and sidewall depth (shorter), while keeping stock rims, would make any difference in handling ability - positive or negative. And if advisable, what sizes would work. Other all-season tire options couldn't hurt either.
Next time I change my tires I plan on upgrading my rims to 18" but for now I'm staying w/the stock rims.
Thanks for your help.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
The engineers and the money MB put into determining the best size tire trumps anything you'll get on an internet forum. Do yourself a favor and stay within OEM specs.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by PorterFNU
I have an '08 C300 Luxury 4matic. 35,000 miles on original equip. Continental ContiProContact 225/45R17's. Hit a pot-hole last week, I just noticed a bubble on the tread edge/sidewall of the driver-side front tire. I guess I can't wait until Spring to replace tires as I was planning. I'm leaning towards Continental ExtremeContact DWS's. I had them on my last car, an '02 Subaru Impreza WRX, and I loved them.
I'm looking for input on whether changing the width (wider) and sidewall depth (shorter), while keeping stock rims, would make any difference in handling ability - positive or negative. And if advisable, what sizes would work. Other all-season tire options couldn't hurt either.
Next time I change my tires I plan on upgrading my rims to 18" but for now I'm staying w/the stock rims.
Thanks for your help.
I can not understand why you would want to make that tire change on 17" rims, if you are asking if handling would be better or worse! It would also play havoc with your odometer/speedometer, and likely ABS/ESP. If you want to improve the handling of your C Class, the simplest and most direct solution is to get a good set of properly sized tires (and other than wet/snow, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus will outperform DWS), and upgrade the antisway bars to the Eibach set made specifically for the C Class. The bars have no effect on ride height for those seeking that look, but are the easiest way to significantly improve handling and leave ride comfort pretty much intact.