C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Oil sensor in engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
Oil sensor in engine

So i bought a pre-owned 08' c300 it had the servicing due when i test drove it.
The dealer(non-certified) said he'll do perform an oil change for me and i need not worry about. Now i suspect that he just reset the service indicator and did not actually perform an oil change. I checked the oil last night and it was kinda dirty(driven almost a 1.5 months after buying) dark in color.
I called 2 certified dealerships and got conflicting views about this matter. One said that i should get an oil change since the oil sensor only measures it's quantity while the other said that the oil sensor measures the quantity as well as quality. The other dealer also told me that synthetics are usually darker in color and since the oil sensor checks the oil quality as well so i need not worry about the oil change since it would have complained about it if it was bad.
I don't know whom to trust here. ANy advice
Old 01-17-2011, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Because you have doubts about the quality of the oil in your car you should change it asap with the recommended oil as shown in your handbook together with a MB oil filter .

No one can tell the quality of oil by looking at it. You would need lab to test it.

To my knowledge the W204 does not measure quality or quantity of the oil but will alarm when oil pressure is low.

Good luck.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
First off are you in the US, US 204's only have an oil level switch, and no other oil sensing devices.

Not sure if 204's in other countries use flexible service, if they do then they will most likely use a sensor that will measure oil quality and quantity. (similar to the sensors from the 112, 113 in the us)
Old 01-17-2011, 05:50 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Oil, a mystery

Originally Posted by Carsy
Because you have doubts about the quality of the oil in your car you should change it asap with the recommended oil as shown in your handbook together with a MB oil filter .

No one can tell the quality of oil by looking at it. You would need lab to test it.

To my knowledge the W204 does not measure quality or quantity of the oil but will alarm when oil pressure is low.

Good luck.
I don't know what the diesels have in foreign lands, but the gassers in the US do not have low oil pressure lights, not to mention the missing oil pressure gauge (oh, the expense).

Just a level sensor which has been known to cry wolf in the past.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Luxury P1 w/Multimedia, Arctic White
The use of recommended oil and filters changed at or before maintenance intervals is vital. If you have ever changed the oil in a car yourself, you could change the oil in your C very easily for around $75. Or you could take it to a dealer and pay a little bit more and have them mess with it. Either way, it's worth shelling out a small sum of money to have the peace of mind knowing that your car is properly maintained. I recently bought my preowned C and immediately changed the oil and filter even though it wasn't due for a change. I'm glad I did because I replaced some kind of odd ball oil filter brand that I couldn't even find on Google. How scary is that?
Ben
Old 01-17-2011, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by RLE
I don't know what the diesels have in foreign lands, but the gassers in the US do not have low oil pressure lights, not to mention the missing oil pressure gauge (oh, the expense).

Just a level sensor which has been known to cry wolf in the past.
You are correct..Thanks for pointing it out..... .no low oil pressure alarm/indicator..... I am astounded. The 204 is my first car in 48 years that has neither a pressure guage or alarm .

Low sump oil level is not the only cause of low oil pressure. Others include mechanical oil pump failure/blockage , heavy fuel contamination ( thinning) , filter problems , internal oil passage/line failure & high oil temp.I am sure that there are others.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by Carsy

Good luck.
+1
Old 01-18-2011, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Mercedes C250 Coupe, 1998 SL 600 sport
Dude,
It should look crystal clear. Get it changed. Better yet, I would go back to the seller and demand he do it right.
RickP