C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Bought some 100w H7 high beam and fog light bulbs? Will they throw an error code?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
Bought some 100w H7 high beam and fog light bulbs? Will they throw an error code?

Does it matter what wattage H7 bulbs i put in? What is the recommended wattage? Or should I be ok with 100w? Thanks for the help?
Old 01-24-2011, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Um, don't do that, you will probably melt your housings and bulb mounts. The stock harness is not rated to support that much power. I think that you *could* get away with 65 watt, but why bother? If your looking for better visibility get a HID kit, the good digital slim ballasts are only like $40 shipped from DDM...
Old 01-24-2011, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 W204 Sport
There are the ones i bought. It says it produces high output with standard watt draw...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Old 01-24-2011, 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
I don't know how you came to that conclusion. But those will draw 100w when on. Maybe you got confused by it saying 12v power draw which is basically fancy terminology meaning it is made for vehicles (duh). But this bulb will draw 100w and run much hotter than stock oem halogen bulbs (55w). Meaning you could run into serious problems with heat. I wouldn't do it, especially on a mercedes, the electronics is so sophisticated on these vehicles and the wiring harness and electrical systems are very expensive to fix if you have problems.

I would just get 35w HID digital slim ballast from DDM and get error eliminators and/or a relay and you'll be set. Better lumens than these bulbs, less heat, last longer, lifetime warranty -- you can't go wrong!
Old 01-24-2011, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 W204 Sport
Originally Posted by jctevere
I don't know how you came to that conclusion. But those will draw 100w when on. Maybe you got confused by it saying 12v power draw which is basically fancy terminology meaning it is made for vehicles (duh). But this bulb will draw 100w and run much hotter than stock oem halogen bulbs (55w). Meaning you could run into serious problems with heat. I wouldn't do it, especially on a mercedes, the electronics is so sophisticated on these vehicles and the wiring harness and electrical systems are very expensive to fix if you have problems.

I would just get 35w HID digital slim ballast from DDM and get error eliminators and/or a relay and you'll be set. Better lumens than these bulbs, less heat, last longer, lifetime warranty -- you can't go wrong!
I didnt come to that conclusion they did They stated that in the listing. Thanks for the great info and I shall look for something around 55w!
Old 01-24-2011, 03:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
I didnt come to that conclusion they did They stated that in the listing. Thanks for the great info and I shall look for something around 55w!
Haha, I wasn't bashing on you or anything, it is just that I don't see them claiming that anywhere in the listing. It only says 100w and 12v and it even lists a disclaimer saying that the buyer is responsible to check their fuses/wiring for compatibility with 100w bulbs.

My question is, are you looking just to improve the high-beams and fog light brightness, or you want you lights in general to be brighter.

Why limit yourself to halogens when you can get real hid xenon headlight kits for not much more money...
Old 01-24-2011, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 W204 Sport
Originally Posted by jctevere
Haha, I wasn't bashing on you or anything, it is just that I don't see them claiming that anywhere in the listing. It only says 100w and 12v and it even lists a disclaimer saying that the buyer is responsible to check their fuses/wiring for compatibility with 100w bulbs.

My question is, are you looking just to improve the high-beams and fog light brightness, or you want you lights in general to be brighter.

Why limit yourself to halogens when you can get real hid xenon headlight kits for not much more money...
No prob, thanks for looking out! I just like the Euro look of yellow fogs (even when they are off) I just bought some yellow 55W bulbs I really appreciate the good advice, you may just have saved my head lights and wiring + i should have known better lol it was an impulse buy