C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

garage door opener won't allow it to be set - please help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK350
I had same issue as some of the people here - able to reset using left + right but cannot successfully program the garage door opener (GDO).
I have 2006 CLK 350 and it has Home Link in the rear view mirror.
My GDO is old Genie Blue Max made somewhere around 90's.

I can reset the Home Link and I know the GDO is working right since I can successfully program in other two cars that I have - Lexus RX 350 (2011) and Honda Odyssey (2016)
Long story short, here's what I did after trying more than 20 times.

1. Make sure the key is in position 2, not 1, or start.
2. Try position the remote at least 5 inches away and try different angles for the remote to transmit RF signal to your Home Link on the car.
3. To make sure you don't cook the motor on your GDO, I would strongly suggest you to unplug the power. You will still be able to program without the power of GDO motor unit.

I got hint from many others in this post and want to help other users who might be having same issue. Let's keep sharing best practices and not walk away without sharing when you solve the problem.

Last but not least, I will copy email from Home Link customer service which might help you as well.

================================================== =====
Thank you for contacting HomeLink Support. Below is a response to your recent contact with us.

The reason for your call today: to get assistance programming the Homelink in your 2006 Mercedes CLK.

As we discussed: you said that your garage door is older and there is not a learn button in it.

Generally speaking, the faster the programming steps can be accomplished, the more likely our customers will meet with programming success. Also it is useful if you have fresh battery in the remote and if you park the vehicle just outside the garage door, pointing in, with the hood not further than about three feet outside the door.

If any button in your vehicle is already successfully programmed, begin with step two.

Your vehicle should be running or in accessory position.

1. Press and hold the 2 outer HomeLink buttons (1 & 3) release both buttons when the indicator light changes from a solid light to a rapid flash (this will take approximately 20 seconds). NOTE: Do not repeat this step to program additional HomeLink buttons.

2. Position the hand-held remote control as close as possible to the HomeLink button you would like to program. Simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and the hand-held remote control button. Do not release until the LED light starts to rapidly flash.

When it won't train, try these things:

(you have already replaced the battery)

• Check the position of the hand-held remote. The remote should be as close as possible to the HomeLink buttons. (NOTE: if the HomeLink buttons are on the rearview mirror or the visor, hold the hand-held remote behind the mirror or visor closer to HomeLink button number 3.)

• Hold the hand-held remote at different angles & lengths. (Example: Over button number 3, cycling the remote, or move the remote back and forth in front of the HomeLink buttons, while still holding the desired HomeLink button and the remote.)

• Try "cycling" the hand-held remote every 2-3 seconds. Some remotes quit transmitting the signal after a few seconds. (NOTE: unplug the garage door opener while doing this) To cycle a hand-held remote you press and release the remote every 2-3 seconds while continuing to hold the HomeLink button down.

Note: for Linear MegaCode transmitters, try cycling the hand-held remote every 8-9 seconds.

• On "older" non-rolling code garage door openers, have the customer hold the remote from 5-8 inches away and then move the remote in closer to the HomeLink.

• Try multiple remotes one remote may be stronger than the other.

If you need further assistance or have questions, please feel free to email me back. If you would prefer that I call you back, please email me the best phone number and time to reach you. Please use incident number 160831-001497.

Sincerely,
Ann
Old 09-01-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 C300 4 Matic
It is a pain. But the manual works - try both methods and do exactly as the manual states - seems odd but, with some trial and error it does work.