C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Steering feeling getting stiff.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C280
Steering feeling getting stiff.

I have a 2007 C280 Euro version and I noticed just recently (over the last two days) that my steering feeling has started to feel stiff and takes more effort to steer the car. Especially when I'm driving slow, like in a parking lot (or probably I just notice it most then since that's when I really go full turn with the steering). I haven't had the chance to take the car to the dealer yet but I was able to talk to them on the phone. I asked about the steering recall but the dealer said my car wasn't part of the VIN numbers that were part of the recall. I also checked my steering fluid and it's still at MAX level. Anyone out there have an idea as to what could be causing the stiffness? Is there a power steering pump on the car and could that be on it's way out? Or is there something else causing it?
Old 02-15-2011, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Albert ,
Sounds as if the power steering pump could be failing.
Is the belt drive not slipping on the power steering pulley ?.
Do you have any power steering assistance when the car is at standstill ?.
Lift the bonnet when the engine is running so you can hear what is happening when you turn lock to lock .
Could be the end of lock relief valve not seating properly.
Sounds like a visit to the workshop.

Good luck.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C280
Carsy,
Thanks for your reply. Yes I still do have power assistance when the car is at standstill but it has been noticeably less assistance. Takes more effort to go lock to lock and I just noticed this morning that when I try to go full lock, the car seems to make weird noises and the steering seems to struggle to get to full lock. The belt and pulley all still looks ok and it seems to be spinning normally with no abnormal sounds or such. So I'm guessing it's the power steering pump?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Albert,

You could also have mechanical stiffness in the steering rack ,joints or suspension bearings ( strut) & bushes which is making it difficult for the power steering to overcome.

I would jack up both front wheels & turn the wheels both with the engine running,, without the engine running then try turning the wheel by the wheel itself lock to lock. This excercise may show up any mechanical binding.

Best to let the experts take a look asap.It is a safety issue.

Hopefully a simple fix. Let us know how you go.