C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-16-2015, 03:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

W204 Window Tint Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
Yeah but nobody tints like Phils shop. Top of the line tint did all of Action Tires cars, and most in the area, he does all the pro athletes outta tristate and celebs too. My last C350 he did, IceT and CoCo were picking up his ferrari when I picked up my benz lol. There is tinting and then there is perfection. I had to redo one of my cars a few years ago cause it wasnt perfect, he charged me 500 to remove and redo including pano roof. I had a huge rim shop in AC do it and it wasnt perfect at 275, I shoulda waited but I was hot in the *** that day I picked up the rims/tires. Take a look really well when you see hooked up cars or at a show, and then look at your detail from TOTL tint. you get what you pay for. Just tell phil your paying cash and he did the car already he'll cut you slack. and remember in jersey everything is expensive, in Florida 200 or less is the normal for full car and sunroof
Old 05-13-2011, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
Yeah but nobody tints like Phils shop. Top of the line tint did all of Action Tires cars, and most in the area, he does all the pro athletes outta tristate and celebs too. My last C350 he did, IceT and CoCo were picking up his ferrari when I picked up my benz lol. There is tinting and then there is perfection. I had to redo one of my cars a few years ago cause it wasnt perfect, he charged me 500 to remove and redo including pano roof. I had a huge rim shop in AC do it and it wasnt perfect at 275, I shoulda waited but I was hot in the *** that day I picked up the rims/tires. Take a look really well when you see hooked up cars or at a show, and then look at your detail from TOTL tint. you get what you pay for. Just tell phil your paying cash and he did the car already he'll cut you slack. and remember in jersey everything is expensive, in Florida 200 or less is the normal for full car and sunroof
Yeah, I think the guys might have had an off day I went in. It's been about a month and a bubble in the rear windshield hasn't dried yet and I've got a bubble and peeling on the edge of the driver's side and both front windows are peppered with dust specks/bubbles. The tint also has a really bright purple hue in direct sunlight when looking out from inside the car... Doesn't do it looking in from outside.

I should mention that I went with the FX PM 50% because they didn't have the CS film in 50%. Maybe it was an old roll laying around untouched for a while...?

Going to stop by the shop really early tomorrow and show them what it looks like... see if I can get it replaced with CS 50% if I pay the difference.

Is it possible for them to order a roll that is just big enough for my car or will they not want to order a brand new roll of tint that doesn't sell well...? (The art of tint guy told me he'd order huper 50 for me, but I didn't want to wait and went to TOTL. Kinda wish I had decided to wait because I'm sort of stuck with dealing with this shop now.)
Old 05-13-2011, 10:54 AM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
Thats hard to beleive. I wonder what was wrong with the tint? No kidding hes done all my cars and pretty much everyone I know modding goes there. I know he'll pull any tint off and redo that isnt perfect, I had one salt spot last car on back door and he redid the whole window to make it perfect. Tell him your from the mercedes forum and you were recommended bo others, he'll fix it. I would go with 3m film, its got a nice color
Old 05-13-2011, 11:49 AM

Mercedes Benz C300 Sport 4Matic
Hi All,
I am looking to getting my car windows tinted after reading this wonderful thread. Can someone please let me know if this is a good deal:
1- I got a quote for $180 for all 5 windows with ONE piece for the rear and it's all computerized cut.
2- The film used is "LLumar". Is this the best film rated out there. If not, what other brand can I request for?

Thank in advance for your help.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:08 PM

2010 c300 4 matic, honda civic, subaru impreza
Originally Posted by redfox302
Hi All,
I am looking to getting my car windows tinted after reading this wonderful thread. Can someone please let me know if this is a good deal:
1- I got a quote for $180 for all 5 windows with ONE piece for the rear and it's all computerized cut.
2- The film used is "LLumar". Is this the best film rated out there. If not, what other brand can I request for?

Thank in advance for your help.

llumar is one of the best and usually comes with a nationwide lifetime guarantee. as opposed to just a lifetime warranty from the shop you got it installed from which could close up at anytime. 180 is relatively cheap, i paid 170 for my subaru and ended up with bad service and a few imperfections, i payed 330 for my jetta, it was 100 for the windshield so minus that and it was 230, good service and no imperfections, i payed 250 for c300, out of all my cars this was the only llumar tint, but was cut by hand the old fashion way to fit my window exactly and perfect service with great results. 180 is a great price if its llumar and you can get good service but i went to three different shops and two states, and in my expirience with tint, you get what you pay for.

so if you have heard good things about this place then go for it, its a great price, just make sure they know what there doing.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:46 PM

08 w204
Had my tints at 20% all around (except windshield) the rear window started turning purple, I got everything taken off and went 5% all around. (except winshield)
Looks awesome, feels a lot more private, and I'm in new jersey too.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:52 PM

Mercedes Benz C300 Sport 4Matic
Thank you all for your help.

Have anyone heard of SUN-GARD® film and what are they rating compare to LLumar?

Thanks again.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:55 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by encoder
There's a lot of confusion here.
I agree... Though I suspect you're the one who is confused. No disrespect intended .

You cannot have mini blinds or stickers or cardboard or anything like that, you're right.
True... Though there is a code section that allows "louvers" (however which way you might define that)... See VC 26708.2.

But you CAN have tint on your front windows in CA.
If you mean "tint" as is being discussed in this thread, then that is NOT true!

And in every instance I've looked into, reports of no tint allowed usually stem from an incorrect reading of the law.
Well, I will post my interpretation and you can either reply by posting yours or you can tell me where I went wrong! (And sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure I covered all bases).

The ONLY tint that is allowed on the two front windows & windshield in California is the OEM tint, which is never applied as a "film". Instead, the glass is impregnated with a dye as part of the manufacturing process, thereby making the windows a bit darker than "clear". There is also a "glaze" ("safety glaze") that is applied as part of the manufacturing process. But that would not affect the color of the glass.

It was probably too dark. You can see the law here: http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm
"Too dark" is not the only element that must be met to prove that your windows are tinted illegally. They must also prove that some sort of non-OEM material was added, and that it fails to meet certain requirements.

There are two possible code sections you can get cited for if your vehicle has tinted windows. And you're right, 26708 (subsection (a)(1) to be specific) is indeed one of them:

First one:
26708(a)(1) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows."

By definition, window tint would qualify as being "... any material installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side windows...".

Now, there are several exceptions to subdivision (a)(1) of 26708, and the one I suspect you are referring to would be under subsection (d) which states:

26708(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:
(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun’s harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the installing company and the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material’s manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer’s instructions meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.
So the material used must:

I. Be "clear"... And window tint is far from being clear; if it were it wouldn't be called "tint". There is one exception to it being "clear" under VC 26708.2, but in those cases, the "sun screen" must be "removable", and window tint isn't "removable" by the means described under that code section.

II. Be "colorless"... And window tint is far from being colorless if it were it wouldn't be called "tint". Same exception under 26708.2 above applies here as well in that the sunscreen can be colored but it too must be "removable" as defined therein.

III. Has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent. No one really uses 88% tint... In fact I don't know of any tint shop who carries such a material in stock!

IV. The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.. Not only does window tint, as we know it, fail several of the tests required to qualify it as "glazing" under 49 CFR 571.205 (I linked the document above and you're free to read it if you want), but it is neither tagged nor marked with the special ANSI/SAE markings required under that federal regulations code section. So while some of our window tint may in fact pass the 70% light transmittance requirement, it fails the other tests. Additionally, and when it comes to "glazing" as defined above, it is illegal for anyone to sell or operate a motor vehicle that does not have glazing (a safety feature) on its windows (see VC 26701). And...

V. That you carry a certificate from the installer (if you have it installed) or the manufacturer (if you self installed it) certifying that the material used meets the requirements stated under 26708(d)(2) which I highly doubt you'd be able to get from either the business owner or the manufacturer.

Second one:
You can also be cited under VC 26708.5(a) which clearly defines which "transparent material" is allowed/prohibited by the code, as well as it cuts down most of the clutter that is listed under VC 26708, thereby making it easier to read and understand how it applies to window tint:

V C Section 26708.5 Transparent Materials
Transparent Materials
(a) No person shall place, install, affix, or apply any transparent material upon the windshield, or side or rear windows, of any motor vehicle if the material alters the color or reduces the light transmittance of the windshield or side or rear windows, except as provided in subdivision (b), (c), or (d) of Section 26708.

(b) Tinted safety glass may be installed in a vehicle if (1) the glass complies with motor vehicle safety standards of the United States Department of Transportation for safety glazing materials, and (2) the glass is installed in a location permitted by those standards for the particular type of glass used.
As you can see, it clearly prohibits the use of any transparent material UNLESS it qualifies under subsections (b), (c) or (d) of VC 26708... Or unless it meets the definition of "Sun Screen" which we already know by now it DOESN'T.

Conclusion: "After market" Window Tint is ILLEGAL in California.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:01 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Oh, and my apologies to the OP is he intended on this being an "East Coast tint" related thread... Though the title itself would suggest otherwise
Old 09-15-2011, 01:49 PM

No worries igb.

So dropped the car off w Phil at top of the line tint. Getting the windshield at 55% 3m fx pm. All other windows are in the same color. Will post pics when I pick up the car... can't wait!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:25 PM

If anyone wants to host two pics for me let me know, facebook no lnoger lets me use it to host images to link on other sites.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:41 PM

http://imageshack.us/f/545/windshielftint.jpg/

Finally, a picture! 50% tints all around including the windshield at dusk. Been just about a month and no problems with the fuzz.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:51 AM

W204 2010 C300 Sport/6M
Right click on the pic. Copy the location on the properties tab. Hit the picture button and insert the link.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Right click on the pic. Copy the location on the properties tab. Hit the picture button and insert the link.
Heh, I know. FB has no usable link under properties. Made an imageshack, was gonna insert picture but linked to it isntead because the resolution is massive.

Gotta take the DSLR out some time and get some more shots.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:26 PM

01' c320 (sold) / 03' Ford Focus(sold) :( / 98' C230 / 00' SL500 / 11' C300 Sport RWD w204
a audio shop here offered to do all around for me for $220. Sounds expensive compared to the other prices here. They said however they're going to be removing my door trims to do it the right way. I'm a little hesitant because $220 sounds too cheap for a door trim tint install. They said they've worked on w204's before, but again... I dont wanna find out later down the road that they broke something and didn't tell me about it.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:48 PM
hmc

2009 C300 Sport 6MT
Same percentage (35% or 50%) all round looks the best.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:42 PM

W204 2010 C300 Sport/6M
Just highlight the image location in properties and walah.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:51 AM

2008 MB C300 Sport 4Matic
I have 5% on all side windows and rear shield. 35% down the whole windshield. I live in New Jersey with Law Enforcement plates. No problems.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:57 AM

2008 MB C300 Sport 4Matic
3M Tint done at Dynamic Tinting in South Jersey.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/72218495@N06/
^more pics here ... look out the windshield. not even dark, have no problem at night. side windows, yes they are dark but i love it.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:53 PM

White 2009 C300 Sport
heyy guys, i got my car tinted with 20% all around, and defroster on the rear window is an orangish color and you can see it from the otut side .. i dont like that
is there anything i can do to get that darker or whats the best solution,
i like the look of the C63 on the first page of this thread, i wanted mine to be all black as well
Old 02-15-2012, 01:59 PM

Finally got pinched for my tints while doing 55 in a 35 (NOT as bad as it seems. It's considered "residential" but it's mostly office complexes that are empty at night.) Avg speed of traffic is 45 and the cop was waiting just past the crest of a hill where if you don't take your foot off the gas after coming up the hill... you're going to hit 50+ EASY.

The citation is NJ 39:3-74 with the description WINDOW TINT added to it. I noticed the cop walked to the front of the car and took a few seconds to look at the windshield closely.

Looks to be about a $75 ticket after court costs. But the part I am wondering about is that this statute seems to cover WINDSHIELD OBSTRUCTIONS. The cop mumbled something and all I could make out was, "not supposed to have a window tint".

Am I only going to have to remove my windshield tint or my front sides too? The reason I am curious is because when I googled the statute I got a TON of results on people getting ticketed for having a gps or radar mounted to their windshield.

This is the brief summary of the statute listed on the judiciary.state.nj.us website

39:3-74 Obstruction of windshield for vision $54

Edit: 55% tints all around. VERY VERY light, but it was drizzling with full cloud cover yesterday.

Last edited by dcjwlee; 02-15-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by kHuNkHuNa
heyy guys, i got my car tinted with 20% all around, and defroster on the rear window is an orangish color and you can see it from the otut side .. i dont like that
is there anything i can do to get that darker or whats the best solution,
i like the look of the C63 on the first page of this thread, i wanted mine to be all black as well
Well, let's think about this, you can't get the tint between the defrost lines and the glass. So, I guess your only option would be to tint the outside of the windshield...?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 175 Likes on 145 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Originally Posted by dcjwlee
http://imageshack.us/f/545/windshielftint.jpg/

Finally, a picture! 50% tints all around including the windshield at dusk. Been just about a month and no problems with the fuzz.
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
He meant like this:

Just looking at old threads for some tint tips.....
Old 05-03-2012, 02:44 PM

2018 GLE AMG 63
any clue if c300 windows come with felt or some crap like that???
Old 05-03-2012, 02:45 PM

2018 GLE AMG 63
any idea if c300 have felt on windows or some crap like that?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W204 Window Tint Thread