C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Is this a common stealership tactic or does it sound legit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 W4
Cool Is this a common stealership tactic or does it sound legit?

I took my '08 C300 in today to get my winter rims and tires switched out for my summer ones and also have someone check out my GPS (which wasn't storing previous addresses). Obviously, they called me and said that they had found some issues...

I was told that my front brake pads were fine with plenty of life left, but my back pads were 99% warn down and that I needed new rotors as well, for a minimal price of $483 installed... My car has 46,000 miles and it seems to me that there is no way that I should need new rotors yet, that a simple replacement of the pads should be fine. I called back to inquire further and was told that they 'usually' replace pads and rotors at the same time and I told them to put it all back together and I was going to take it to a local mechanic for a second opionion.

Within 30 seconds, he had called back to tell me that they had already put one of the rotors on and asked if they should still proceed or take it back off and put the old pads and rotors back on. I told him to do as I asked and keep the old ones on for my verification. I'm obviously very skeptical of these dealers. Do I have a good claim here or am I overreacting? Any thoughs/opionions/experiences would be appreciated.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by cfab011
I took my '08 C300 in today to get my winter rims and tires switched out for my summer ones and also have someone check out my GPS (which wasn't storing previous addresses). Obviously, they called me and said that they had found some issues...

I was told that my front brake pads were fine with plenty of life left, but my back pads were 99% warn down and that I needed new rotors as well, for a minimal price of $483 installed... My car has 46,000 miles and it seems to me that there is no way that I should need new rotors yet, that a simple replacement of the pads should be fine. I called back to inquire further and was told that they 'usually' replace pads and rotors at the same time and I told them to put it all back together and I was going to take it to a local mechanic for a second opionion.

Within 30 seconds, he had called back to tell me that they had already put one of the rotors on and asked if they should still proceed or take it back off and put the old pads and rotors back on. I told him to do as I asked and keep the old ones on for my verification. I'm obviously very skeptical of these dealers. Do I have a good claim here or am I overreacting? Any thoughs/opionions/experiences would be appreciated.
1) Never go to a dealer to swap rims/tires...that will always be more costly than necessary. Find a good independent shop which specializes in MB, BMW, etc., and has a Hunter Road Force balancer...you will know that they are up to date.
2) The rotors/pads price is excessive. See #1 above
3) The mileage for replacement is not unreasonable, and actually better than others have achieved.
4) Rotors and pads are often replaced together because once rotors have become scored (ridges you can feel with your fingertips), the new pads don't mate up well to the less-than-smooth surface anymore. However, this is a case-by-case analysis and should not be done by rote.
5) Consider some Akebono EUR 1340/1341 pads (See #1 above)

If you allow for dealer pricing, their actions were probably not out of bounds, but they should have called first for approval.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:40 PM

2008 C300 W4
They actually only charge me $40 to swap them out, which I find reasonable... I don't trust myself to do it right so that's not the end of the world for me. I meant to mention that I have a different set of already mounted/balanced summer tires/rims so they're really only pullling lug nuts and changing them out for me. I do have to tell them to mark which tires came from where so they remember to rotate them, though.

It just seems like every time you take your car in there is some new service that you need to perform, and if not, they find something that they can replace.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
They actually only charge me $40 to swap them out, which I find reasonable... I don't trust myself to do it right so that's not the end of the world for me. I meant to mention that I have a different set of already mounted/balanced summer tires/rims so they're really only pullling lug nuts and changing them out for me. I do have to tell them to mark which tires came from where so they remember to rotate them, though.
Not too bad, actually. But, for perspective, our MB/BMW Indy shop gets $25 for the same 20 lug nut express, and does a hand (not machine) wash....like you said, not the end of the world, but it's just part of my overall relationship with them. I also get to drive right into the work area, stand there and watch, and talk to the tech directly about rotation, pressure, etc. to ensure accuracy. (Seems they like the company too!) It's quite a different world than dealership service departments, although our MB dealer is good for a dealer, as well.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:49 PM

2008 C300 W4
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Not too bad, actually. But, for perspective, our MB/BMW Indy shop gets $25 for the same 20 lug nut express, and does a hand (not machine) wash....like you said, not the end of the world, but it's just part of my overall relationship with them. I also get to drive right into the work area, stand there and watch, and talk to the tech directly about rotation, pressure, etc. to ensure accuracy. (Seems they like the company too!) It's quite a different world than dealership service departments, although our MB dealer is good for a dealer, as well.

By the time I drove to Michigan, I probably would need the new pads and rotos!
Old 04-12-2011, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
By the time I drove to Michigan, I probably would need the new pads and rotos!