C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Buying a C300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC Sport, 2010 Range Rover, 2006 LR3
Buying a C300

Hello All,

I'm Will, and I'm brand new from Boston MA. Here's my story: I am looking to buy a 2010 C300 4MATIC Sport from a reputable area dealer. I found a massive selection of possible cars around Boston, but after a looking at a few CARFAXs I found out that around 75% of them are listed as Rentals. What does this mean? That they were used as loaners for the Dealership? If so, what are the implications? I understand that a lot of people can grace a loaner over nearly two years (probably close to a hundred), and this has to take a toll on the vehicle; I certainly wouldn't want 100 different people driving my car! So I was just wondering what exactly this means, and if I should stay clear of all cars that have been designated as Rentals. Also I am open and thankful for any other advice on buying a used C class.
Thanks a Bunch
Old 04-27-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
Is it possible that classification is used for leased cars? At 75%, seems more logical to me...

Just a quick thought - Not sure what you are looking for overall - but see if your budget allows for a C350, should be fairly similiar price range and why not get the extra HP ?
Old 04-27-2011, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Straße
Hello All,

I'm Will, and I'm brand new from Boston MA. Here's my story: I am looking to buy a 2010 C300 4MATIC Sport from a reputable area dealer. I found a massive selection of possible cars around Boston, but after a looking at a few CARFAXs I found out that around 75% of them are listed as Rentals. What does this mean? That they were used as loaners for the Dealership? If so, what are the implications? I understand that a lot of people can grace a loaner over nearly two years (probably close to a hundred), and this has to take a toll on the vehicle; I certainly wouldn't want 100 different people driving my car! So I was just wondering what exactly this means, and if I should stay clear of all cars that have been designated as Rentals. Also I am open and thankful for any other advice on buying a used C class.
Thanks a Bunch
I think you have assessed the issue well. I would contact two local dealers, look for a CPO (Certified Previously Owned) vehicle which they originally sold. That likely means the customer liked them enough to come back at trade in/lease turn-in time. Ask to see the service records for that unit from their service department, and also ask them to ask the customer if they would be willing to speak to you about their traded-in car. In this case, it will likely be coming off a lease, which means more 09s than 10s right now, but some 10s may be coming back in soon. This is the cautious approach, but what I would follow. And, get a CarFax report on the car.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Perhaps better to look for a C350. It is possible that the 2012 will be offered with the C250 or C350 engines, eliminating the C300 from the lineup and making the 3.0L engine less desirable (e.g. value of the C350 may hold better than the C300 in the future).
Old 04-27-2011, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
Perhaps better to look for a C350. It is possible that the 2012 will be offered with the C250 or C350 engines, eliminating the C300 from the lineup and making the 3.0L engine less desirable (e.g. value of the C350 may hold better than the C300 in the future).
The US 2012 line-up was revealed as C250 rwd, C3004MATIC, and C350rwd, all automatic transmission only.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../interior.html
Old 04-27-2011, 03:51 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by Straße
Hello All,

Thanks a Bunch
I wouldn't buy a former dealer's service loaner for a couple of reasons. First, over the last 3 1/2 years I've taken a few of them home and have found that all have some kind of cosmetic damage including curbed wheels, bumper scuffs and a generally rental car appearance. You can be sure that if they have less than 10K miles, they have not had their first oil change and likely haven't been in the service department at all.

The last one I had (2 weeks ago) was a 2010 C300 Sport 4-matic in one of the ubiquitous colors and no extras except heated seats. At 9000 miles and 14 months in service, it was likely going to be on the lot soon with all the other distress merchandise to be cleared out before the 2012s show up.

Buy one of these cars and buyer's remorse will strike soon.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC Sport, 2010 Range Rover, 2006 LR3
Yeah it seems clear to avoid the loaners at all costs. As for the 350, I would love one, but my budget will not allow—my first car, and I need the 4WD for the winter. Also do you guys think it would be best to look for a previously leased vehicle? I feel like people take better care of vehicle they're obligated to return.