C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Error in display + can't lock C350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 300, Porsche Carrera S
Error in display + can't lock C350

Hi guys. Once in a while my car is doing this: I arrive at destination, put car in park, turn key off, remove key, open door to get out. I get a display in the dash saying remove key and lights are on. The key is already in my hands and the lights are always on auto! When I close the door and try to lock the car, it will not lock. Has anyone seen this before?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
I'd bring that in to the dealer to have it checked out. The problem isn't so much the lights but rather its the ignition thinking you have a key still in it making it not possible to lock the car.

Bring it in to the dealer and have them run a check. Let them know that the problem only occurs randomly and to keep trying to reproduce the problem while the car is there. If they can't reproduce the problem they might write it off as that and let you take the car back.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by tehc300
I'd bring that in to the dealer to have it checked out. The problem isn't so much the lights but rather its the ignition thinking you have a key still in it making it not possible to lock the car.

Bring it in to the dealer and have them run a check. Let them know that the problem only occurs randomly and to keep trying to reproduce the problem while the car is there. If they can't reproduce the problem they might write it off as that and let you take the car back.
Thanks TEHC! I already told my dealer informally and they really did not know about this. I wanted to check with forum members in case this was a documented problem.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:04 AM

2011 C300 Sport
Might want to take a lint free cloth (maybe only slightly damp with a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol on it) and wipe out the key receptacle area and the key itself and take off the battery cable for ten minutes to let it reboot?
Old 05-18-2011, 04:52 PM

C300
I doubt its the actual key or a battery issue but I'm no tech myself. Judging from what the OP said I'd base it primarily on the ignition and the ecu. Somethings bugged in the electrical causing it to think the lights are on and the keys are still in the ignition. For something like this I'd definitely go see a the dealer.

Question though: since the car thinks the keys still in the ignition does it allow you to shift down gears while you actually have the key in hand? Also how long till it realizes there is no key?
Old 05-18-2011, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by tehc300
I doubt its the actual key or a battery issue but I'm no tech myself. Judging from what the OP said I'd base it primarily on the ignition and the ecu. Somethings bugged in the electrical causing it to think the lights are on and the keys are still in the ignition. For something like this I'd definitely go see a the dealer.

Question though: since the car thinks the keys still in the ignition does it allow you to shift down gears while you actually have the key in hand? Also how long till it realizes there is no key?
I haven't tried shifting gears, but I think it will be locked as well as the steering. The only thing I do is turn the lights to off (from auto) and leave the car (open, hahahahaha!)