C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6MT X-Pipe
Windshield Replacement

Hi All!

My windshield has a crack growing across it and I was hoping to get some feedback on my windshield replacement.

I called the local glass company that my dealership recommended to me. I told them that I wanted to have the windshield replaced with the OEM glass. They told me that they would need to get the authorization from my insurance company and there may be an out of pocket cost to me. They also said they replace windshields all the time on Mercedes with their glass and have no problems at all.

Do you think I should front the extra money to get the MB windshield? Has anyone had their windshield replaced with an aftermarket? Does it look okay? Also, will I need to order a new 'Mercedes-Benz product' decal for the passenger side corner?

Sorry, I'm just really particular about my car, as are most of you. Thank you so much for your feedback!

Cheers,

Joe
Old 05-23-2011, 03:09 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by JFOUR
Hi All!

My windshield has a crack growing across it and I was hoping to get some feedback on my windshield replacement.

I called the local glass company that my dealership recommended to me. I told them that I wanted to have the windshield replaced with the OEM glass. They told me that they would need to get the authorization from my insurance company and there may be an out of pocket cost to me. They also said they replace windshields all the time on Mercedes with their glass and have no problems at all.

Do you think I should front the extra money to get the MB windshield? Has anyone had their windshield replaced with an aftermarket? Does it look okay? Also, will I need to order a new 'Mercedes-Benz product' decal for the passenger side corner?

Sorry, I'm just really particular about my car, as are most of you. Thank you so much for your feedback!

Cheers,

Joe
Which brand of glass are they talkng about?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:18 PM

2008 c220 cdi sport
Mine was replaced here in the UK,I had to pay the £75 excess and the company(Autoglass) said it was an 100% original,identical to OEM screen,and look's perfect.

http://www.autoglass.co.uk/Our-quali...tee.193.0.html

Last edited by Sanjit; 05-23-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:40 PM

c300
i would get it done from the dealership itself. I read a thread over here in which a guy got his windshield replaced from outside and ended up loosing his warranty, here's how- the windshield replacement wasn't done right and had some sort of leak which somehow damaged the electronic system and the dealership void his warranty on that.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 C300 Sport
You could just go without a windshield, it's way easier to see, you don't have glare to contend with, and you get to feel the cool breeze in your hair!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c350coupe, Gencoupe R-spec
I had my windshield replaced after i was in an accident my my MB dealer, had to pay my $500 deductable but there was $5000 worth in damages. it's as good as new now, but i dont have the MD decals you mentioned on the left passenger side now.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Make sure the new one includes the rain sensor.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by RLE
Which brand of glass are they talkng about?
She didn't say what the brand name was. She said "our windshield".

Originally Posted by Sanjit
Mine was replaced here in the UK,I had to pay the £75 excess and the company(Autoglass) said it was an 100% original,identical to OEM screen,and look's perfect.

http://www.autoglass.co.uk/Our-quali...tee.193.0.html
Okay... I'm feeling better. They told me it would be 100% identical minus the MB logo.

Originally Posted by sudhanshu3
i would get it done from the dealership itself. I read a thread over here in which a guy got his windshield replaced from outside and ended up loosing his warranty, here's how- the windshield replacement wasn't done right and had some sort of leak which somehow damaged the electronic system and the dealership void his warranty on that.
Thats scary! I wonder if the glass was defective or the installer f'd up the job. I called the dealership first, they told me they sub contract all their glass work to this company. The service advisor told me they do a great job.

Originally Posted by wnunez89
I had my windshield replaced after i was in an accident my my MB dealer, had to pay my $500 deductable but there was $5000 worth in damages. it's as good as new now, but i dont have the MD decals you mentioned on the left passenger side now.
I wonder if they replaced your glass with aftermarket. Is there a MB logo on the glass?

Originally Posted by Carsy
Make sure the new one includes the rain sensor.
I asked them about the sensors. She told me it comes equipped.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:54 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

She didn't say what the brand name was. She said "our windshield".

Okay... I'm feeling better. They told me it would be 100% identical minus the MB logo.

Thats scary! I wonder if the glass was defective or the installer f'd up the job. I called the dealership first, they told me they sub contract all their glass work to this company. The service advisor told me they do a great job.

I wonder if they replaced your glass with aftermarket. Is there a MB logo on the glass?

I asked them about the sensors. She told me it comes equipped.
First of all, you said your dealer sent you to a place that does their glass work. This is commonly done since dealer techs do not possess the skills required to replace front or rear glass. My dealer in Seattle (for example) has been using a particular glass shop for decades which I have used multiple times with no problems.

As to the glass brand, MB uses glass from various manufacturers around the world. My C300's glass is all Pilkington and my previous car was all PPG.

If you just picked somebody out of the yellow pages to come to your house to install a windshield in the driveway, you might just have trouble.

If a windshield comes from the MB parts network, it's going to cost more because of the dealer markup and your insurance company will likely ask you to pay the difference. The glass may or may not have the MB trademark in it. BTW, the label inside the window at the lower right corner can be purchased at any dealer for a few dollars.

When I had my C300's windshield changed last year, the glass wholesaler was unable to source a W204 windshield so mine came from MB instead. Just the luck of the draw and the recommended installer put the MB label on at no charge. The final cost was $880 before my deductible.

Anyway, a windshield is a perishable part and this one won't be your last one.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
I've been through several windshields.

Don't bother with the decals until you get ready to sell or trade it.

Do stick with OEM glass. Unless you're a glass expert, it'd be hard to know which aftermarket glass is junk until its too late.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:48 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
My buddys body shop uses PPG for all their glass. The MB windshields are notoriously weak, I had 2 chips in my last car. From what the glass guy says they PPG is better glass, and if the dealer sent you there they cant void the warranty its a referral. Once they order the glass teh rain sensor is automatic in the production. You cant get w204 glass without it. I ended up repairing my chip in last car but almost bit the bullet on replacement cause it was a lease but they had no probs as long as I re-leased another car....
Old 05-23-2011, 10:10 PM

2011_C350
The expression OEM glass makes me chuckle.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by Richie999
The expression OEM glass makes me chuckle.
....and why may I ask does it makes you chuckle?

Interesting about the PPG comment. Given the number of windshields I've got through, I wouldn't mind trying an aftermarket if there was solid reason to believe that it was better. Any unexpected side effects such as clarity, color, etc.????
Old 05-24-2011, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Perhaps he is being extremely specific, although accurate. "OE glass" (without the "M") would be more accurate for "Original Equipment glass", as in glass from the original supplier which MB also uses. Original Equipment Manufacturer glass is technically not correct, as MB is the vehicle "manufacturer", and they received the glass from a supplier, as we've discussed, and do not manufacture the glass themselves. However, for the purposes of our discussion, this is a very detailed distinction!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:34 AM

2011_C350
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Perhaps he is being extremely specific, although accurate. "OE glass" (without the "M") would be more accurate for "Original Equipment glass", as in glass from the original supplier which MB also uses. Original Equipment Manufacturer glass is technically not correct, as MB is the vehicle "manufacturer", and they received the glass from a supplier, as we've discussed, and do not manufacture the glass themselves. However, for the purposes of our discussion, this is a very detailed distinction!
Winner!

I spent a short 3 years in the construction industry where we were engaged with aluminum storefront systems (among other projects). Laminated glass is not made at every glass shop for sure. As a matter of fact, its not common for only a handful of glass shops to have the ability to temper glass and/or laminate glass. With that said, I always laugh when people think that their car manufacturer has an onsite glass "making" facility.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:55 AM

2014 Mercedes C250 Coupe, 1998 SL 600 sport
I am ready for my third windshield as we speak. I went to the dealer, insurance covered 100% of it. The $800 figure sounds about right. I know the Pilkington "OE" (OEM, OE whatever, you get the point, I know it's outsourced) glass is the softest I have ever seen. I do all highway driving and it just gets frosted over in what seems like no time, my windshield wipers might last longer then the shield.... Any way I am sure MB does that by design, safety probably. Mine was actually done at the dealership, not by a guy that drives in.
RP
Old 05-24-2011, 05:12 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RickP330
I am ready for my third windshield as we speak. I went to the dealer, insurance covered 100% of it. The $800 figure sounds about right. I know the Pilkington "OE" (OEM, OE whatever, you get the point, I know it's outsourced) glass is the softest I have ever seen. I do all highway driving and it just gets frosted over in what seems like no time, my windshield wipers might last longer then the shield.... Any way I am sure MB does that by design, safety probably. Mine was actually done at the dealership, not by a guy that drives in.
RP
And yet my Pilkington OE windshield collected less sandblast damage than my previous PPGs in the period before a rock ended it's life.

What brand glass do the SA cars have, I wonder? My '08 is a Bremen car, of course.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:15 PM

Sorry guys... Guess I should brush up on my lingo. I inquired about replacing my windshield with the OEM, I guess I should have referred to Pilkington OEM, that’s the windshield that’s on my car that Mercedes installed at the factory that has their logo on it. Sorry about that. I've asked the glass company to quote me the price for Pilkington/Mercedes logo windshield for the heck of it. Since the dealership referred me to this company, I may be inclined to have 'their' windshield installed after my close inspection of it to make sure it meets my standards.

Thanks so much again for all your feedback. I reference this forum all the time, everyone here is so knowledgeable.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 05-24-2011, 07:06 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by RickP330
... insurance covered 100% of it...
RickP330, how did you manage that? I was told I would have to pay the deductible (comprehensive)?

Sorry guys... Guess I should brush up on my lingo. I inquired about replacing my windshield with the OEM, I guess I should have referred to Pilkington OEM, that’s the windshield that’s on my car that Mercedes installed at the factory that has their logo on it. Sorry about that. I've asked the glass company to quote me the price for Pilkington/Mercedes logo windshield for the heck of it. Since the dealership referred me to this company, I may be inclined to have 'their' windshield installed after my close inspection of it to make sure it meets my standards.

Thanks so much again for all your feedback. I reference this forum all the time, everyone here is so knowledgeable.

Cheers,
Joe
Can you please post an update (source/price) when all is said and done? Thanks!
Old 05-24-2011, 07:09 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by IGB
RickP330, how did you manage that? I was told I would have to pay the deductible (comprehensive)?
If you choose zero deductible comprehensive (much more expensive) you can do this too.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:18 PM

2011_C350
Sorry guys... Guess I should brush up on my lingo.
Joe
Lingo? No sir.

The public at large is uninformed while they think they are informed.

Glass is glass. It gets an ECE stamp or it doesn't.

Now who installs the glass is a whole other issue...
Old 05-25-2011, 01:35 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by RLE
If you choose zero deductible comprehensive (much more expensive) you can do this too.
"RLE": Masterfully pointing out the obvious to the not so oblivious!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:01 PM

2011_C350
Originally Posted by RLE
Another misinformed perception.

A $0 comp ded. is not as expensive as most think. However, if you count on your insurer to maintain your windshield, count on your insurer maintaing their business without you.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:03 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Richie999
Another misinformed perception.

A $0 comp ded. is not as expensive as most think. However, if you count on your insurer to maintain your windshield, count on your insurer maintaing their business without you.
OK, as to your first claim, give me some numbers vs possible claims in a given period. You can't, can you? And that's because costs vary by company, vehicle, area and who they are insuring.

And my company has told me that a windshield every other year or so is well under their radar and would have no effect on anything. Of course, if I had been gullible enough to buy insurance from, let's say, Geico, Progressive, Farmers, State Farm or The Hartford, then I'd be on thin ice 24/7.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:38 AM

09 ml350 4matic
i just got my windshield replaced not too long ago. i had to pay a $100 deductible. my insurance recommended auto glass i think it was. did a pretty good job except didn't put on my passenger side windshield wiper back correctly. it is not a oe windshield. i also had the windshield company give me another signature sticker for the bottom right. they will just charge it to the insurance company. one more thing is that now my auto headlight on sensor is a little delayed. not as sensitive as before. not that bad. i'll have my tech look at it next time

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement