C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Vibration/resonance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250 sport estate
Vibration/resonance?

Hi all,
I've got a C250 CDI Sport Estate. On a coarse road surface (like tar and chippings) I get a low vibration/resonance in the car. It seems to be coming from the drivers door but it could be from anywhere - sound travels! The local dealer is co-operative and has tried to find it but with no success. The car is on 18" AMG wheels and the rear tyres are down to about 3mm. I did wonder if it's just a low profile tyre problem? Anybody got any ideas - I've tried jamming trim panels with cardboard etc, but with no luck so far.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Having extremely rough local road surfaces, the noise issue was bothersome enough to investigate and take corrective measures. One was replacing the Sport/Avantgarde shocks with Luxury/Elegance, but this is impractical. After applying some of the suggestions below, the noise is far less now. But driving a new Honda Accord over the same roads, the quietness of the stock W204 is laudable.

The W204 Estate, having a far superior interior volume than the sedan/berlina/saloon, would be more susceptible to generating low frequency resonances. Plus the W204 Sport/Avantgarde is noisier than the Luxury/Elegance due to stiffer springs and shocks.

You can check your tire's tendency to be noisy by consulting www.tirerack.com

Solutions: Tires, 17" rims with quieter rubber. Treat the interior door and floor panels, and especially the rear door, floor and spare tire well with Dynamat or Fatmat. Put a thick rubber mat on the rear floor. Get a double set of floor mats.

Install better speakers and a subwoofer to mask the noise. One could be fooled that the low frequency vibrations are bass in the music. Good luck.