C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Clear bra question and hello from a new owner.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300 Sport 6-spd MT
Clear bra question and hello from a new owner.

First off, hello from a new (or soon to be...car should be here this week) owner. I'm taking delivery of a 2011 C300 Sport 6sp manual black/black hopefully by this weekend. My dealer had to really look to find a 6 speed manual.... weren't that many left.

I'm coming from a 2005 Lotus Elise, after market supercharged (240hp, 1980lbs). While I'll miss the ridiculous performance, I am looking forward to a car I can enjoy all year 'round. Couldn't drive the Lotus in winter due to road salt on the aluminum chasis and the car is brutally hot in the St. Louis summer (a/c is rubbish, and the oil and coolant lines run up to the radiators up front through the door sills).

Now, anyone have any experience with clear bra on this car, especially one put on from the dealer? I've had clear bra products on previous cars, Audi A3, Mazda 3, and the factory Lotus one. My dealer said they can have one installed there at the dealer (comparable price to an independent shop). I figured since the car is black, rock chips will show very easily (as well as **** me off). Anyone have a product that they've used that they're happy with? Anyone see any pros/cons to doing it aside from the obvious?

Thanks again. I'll post pics of my car when she gets here.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:07 AM

2011 C300 Sport 6-spd MT
oh, and here's a pic of the previous car that the C300 is replacing.
Attached Thumbnails Clear bra question and hello from a new owner.-img_1915-vi.jpg   Clear bra question and hello from a new owner.-img_1919-vi.jpg  
Old 06-08-2011, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB C220 Sport W204, 18" AMGs, Grey lthr, xenons, p'ktronic, HKardon, Comand nav.
Clear bra

Hi,

Best wishes for your new ride. Can't say that I was impressed with the appearance of the product that was applied. Too low in gloss and markedly different from rest of the car, especially over time. I have a dark colour that shows this. I bit the bullet and took my chances with the road crap. Just had the hood and front bumper repainted after 2 years - done in the correct MB approved scratch resistant clearcoat it looks better than new!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:20 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Clear bra is the only time sensitive mod that should be done ASAP imo. However, I wouldn't get it done at the dealership. They just subcontract out to a third party. You can ask who that third party is and approach them directly, cutting out the middle man. Also, you'll want to know what brand is being used.... If it's not 3M, Ventureshield, or Xpel, walk away. There's a precut kit for 204s that's out, but it's half hood and half fender (with full bumper, fogs, headlights, and mirrors). Personally, I opted for full hood and fender wrap as you hate seeing that line. Best investment I've made on this car.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:23 AM

W204 2010 C300 Sport/6M
A long as its 3M, which is the industry standard, then that's what I would go with. Since the dealer us doing it it should be under warranty. Nice Elise. I just came from a BMW Z4. I also have the 6 speed manual and its pretty fun. The shifter is a little loose and creaky after a whole but its nothing that an aftermarket knob can't fix.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:07 PM

2007 Jeep SRT-8
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
A long as its 3M, which is the industry standard, then that's what I would go with. Since the dealer us doing it it should be under warranty. Nice Elise. I just came from a BMW Z4. I also have the 6 speed manual and its pretty fun. The shifter is a little loose and creaky after a whole but its nothing that an aftermarket knob can't fix.
3M is actually one of the "poorer" films out there these days. They have failed to update their material and process while others such as VentureShield Ultra, Xpel Premium, and the best film out there... Avery Nano Fusion have continued to raise the bar. I simply will not install 3M because it is an inferior film compared to the newer films out. All it has going for it is brand recognition. But put it up against Avery Nano Fusion and its obvious which film is better. By the way Avery offers a full lifetime warranty (film and labor) where 3M is labor only.