C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Will dealer allow 18" AMG wheels swap after car has been bought?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
02 C32 AMG, 05 SL55 AMG, 09 SL63 AMG, 14 E350, '18 G550, 92 300ZX & 15' GL63 AMG
Will dealer allow 18" AMG wheels swap after car has been bought?

So, now i regret not going with the 18" AMG 5 spoke option.
Question is, will the dealership allow the wheels swap, or is there anything that can be done?

TIA guys
Old 06-22-2011, 05:31 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
How long have you had it?

Realistically, they are not obligated to... What they choose to do (and how much of a difference in price -if any- they may decide to charge you) is ultimately up to them
Old 06-22-2011, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG, 05 SL55 AMG, 09 SL63 AMG, 14 E350, '18 G550, 92 300ZX & 15' GL63 AMG
Originally Posted by IGB
How long have you had it?

Realistically, they are not obligated to... What they choose to do (and how much of a difference in price -if any- they may decide to charge you) is ultimately up to them
we took delivery of the car June 1st
so most likely the answer is no then?
Old 06-22-2011, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport 6MT
Of course, they'll allow you to swap... for a big price, naturally.

Unless you have an extremely nice dealership, the answer is no if you're talking about working it into the deal. Once the deal is done, that's it. Ink has dried. When I bought my car, I worked in a provision for xx. When that fell through due to technical reasons (sales didn't know it wan't possible apparently), they just gave me service credit vs actual parts. I took it because the value of the service credit was more than the orig. provision I wrote in. Swapping for AMGs is huge cost-wise, so again, I highly doubt they'll do it. Good luck to you though. Would be sweet if you can pull it off.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Doanster

Unless you have an extremely nice dealership, the answer is no if you're talking about working it into the deal. Once the deal is done, that's it. Ink has dried. When I bought my car, I worked in a provision for xx. When that fell through due to technical reasons (sales didn't know it wan't possible apparently), they just gave me service credit vs actual parts. I took it because the value of the service credit was more than the orig. provision I wrote in. Swapping for AMGs is huge cost-wise, so again, I highly doubt they'll do it. Good luck to you though. Would be sweet if you can pull it off.
oh wow, thats true though...sigh two things i wish i got LIGHTING PACKAGE & AMG WHEEL PACKAGE lol

i guess i wont linger on this issue much when the answer is very clear damn, car is fun though regardless lol

looks like 19" staggered AMG rep from CLK63 AMG cabrio is comin up for the 204 soon
Old 06-22-2011, 08:41 PM

C300 4Matic
Im in the same predicament. I want those wheels but the car has been ordered already and I dont think they will put the wheels on the car as a dealer option.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:54 PM

2011 W204 C300 mm pano
Originally Posted by nbawla
Im in the same predicament. I want those wheels but the car has been ordered already and I dont think they will put the wheels on the car as a dealer option.
Well if you haven't taken delievery of the car you can get them still
Old 06-22-2011, 09:00 PM

C300 4Matic
Storm- I'm leasing the car and apparently that makes a difference. I was told that if I add the option after the car is built then I must pay for the full option (1k over 33 months) rather than have the 1k factored into the msrp of the vehicle. If it were just factored into the msrp then its an extra $10 a month, if I do it the way the dealer says, its an extra $30 a month. It would be great if someone could lend some insight.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2011, 09:38 PM

2011 W204 C300 mm pano
I don't know about leases so sorry no help. I just know about it if you bought it. My car had the chrome 18 amg 5 spokes and I didn't like them so I told them I wanted the c63 wheels but they had to order them so I drove on them for 2 weeks. Then they told me it was going to be like 12 weeks so the ordered the non chrome amgs till they come in. But Im going to tell them I don't want them cause I just ordered some rennen wheels so I might have so 18 amgs for sale in a month
Old 06-22-2011, 11:38 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by SGTzAMG
oh wow, thats true though...sigh two things i wish i got LIGHTING PACKAGE & AMG WHEEL PACKAGE lol

i guess i wont linger on this issue much when the answer is very clear damn, car is fun though regardless lol

looks like 19" staggered AMG rep from CLK63 AMG cabrio is comin up for the 204 soon
Before you do any of that, explain one thing to me will ya?

Sorry for being nosey but what is the point of that duffel bag on the roof of your car? Its bugging the cr@p out of me
Old 06-23-2011, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by IGB
Before you do any of that, explain one thing to me will ya?

Sorry for being nosey but what is the point of that duffel bag on the roof of your car? Its bugging the cr@p out of me

OH! lol no reason, i snapped this shot after gym, i put the the duffel on top of the car, stepped back and snapped a pic lol
Old 06-23-2011, 08:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
Originally Posted by Doanster

The deal is NOT done until you take delivery of the car. I would have had a 2010 had I known this, because the 2010s started delivery a week after I picked up my 2009, and it wasn't until AFTER I picked it up that my sales person said, "Oh if you wanted a 2010 you should have just said so, you can change your order at anytime before you pickup your vehicle"
Old 06-23-2011, 09:00 AM

C300 4Matic
I sure hope so. I'm going to the dealership today after work to see if I can work this out. I don't take delivery until July 20th (car is in Germany) and would love to have those 18 inch AMG wheels put on. I'll post after I find out from the dealer.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
It is certainly possible that a dealer may allow you to change the terms of the contract after signing, but before delivery, as parties to a contract may agree to modifications. However, basic contract law does "seal the deal" at signing. Delivery of the car is merely execution of the previously signed binding contract. If you make such a request, please understand it is at the discretion of the other party, in this case, the dealer, and they are under no obligation. I offer this as it may help guide your "tonality" in making the request.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:21 AM

C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Sportstick
It is certainly possible that a dealer may allow you to change the terms of the contract after signing, but before delivery, as parties to a contract may agree to modifications. However, basic contract law does "seal the deal" at signing. Delivery of the car is merely execution of the previously signed binding contract. If you make such a request, please understand it is at the discretion of the other party, in this case, the dealer, and they are under no obligation. I offer this as it may help guide your "tonality" in making the request.
Are you a a lawyer? I only ask because I am a new attorney and understand that a contract is made once there is a meeting of the minds and there is an offer and acceptance. However, I haven't given a deposit yet so I don't think we have a binding contract (they can't sue me for any damages if I bail out on the deal).
Old 06-23-2011, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Are you a a lawyer? I only ask because I am a new attorney and understand that a contract is made once there is a meeting of the minds and there is an offer and acceptance. However, I haven't given a deposit yet so I don't think we have a binding contract (they can't sue me for any damages if I bail out on the deal).
Yes, I was (now retired, and not offering legal advice here). Offer and acceptance occurs at signing and the deposit is one of the terms you are obligated to execute. K was not contingent on whether or not you paid the deposit, unless explicitly so stated (which I am fairly sure it was not). The dealer then acts upon reliance of the terms of the deal. Damages may accrue for a vehicle in inventory withdrawn from market availability from the moment of signing to the time of notification of your intent to breach. Quantification of damages could include costs to again market the rejected vehicle, floorplan (inventory) costs, as the replacement vehicle may have already been ordered, and any loss in profit for another turned-away customer who asked to buy that unit, but for the SOLD sign on it, and then selling it at a later date at a lower price, etc. Some of these would be speculative damages for an immediate cause of action, but with the typical 3 year statute of limitations for tort, it would be relatively uncomplicated for a dealer to compile his damages once the rejected unit later sold. Whether they take any action or not is unpredictable...I would imagine they would just keep the deposit. I am somewhat surprised they accepted your order sans deposit, just for the protection from the situation described above. So, for any changes to the existing deal, from the wheels to the whole car, feel free to ask, just ask (as I'm sure you would!) very nicely for the best results....get it in writing and good luck!

Last edited by Sportstick; 06-23-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 AM

C300 4Matic
Thanks for the basics in contract law refresher haha. Are you still in Mich? I'm in NY but would like to have a meet and greet sometime in the summer/fall
Old 06-23-2011, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Thanks for the basics in contract law refresher haha. Are you still in Mich? I'm in NY but would like to have a meet and greet sometime in the summer/fall
Meant with all best wishes for your new career!! Yes, year around in Michigan and the best time to come through here is Woodward Dream Cruise in August (20th, this year).....40,000 classic/muscle cars and about 1,000,000 folks lining the 16 mile cruise route....largest event of its type in the world! When we come to NYC, the cars stay home and we rent at LGA.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:53 PM

C300 4Matic
Confirmed - on a lease you cannot add 18in AMG wheels after it has been built without paying for the rims/tires separately for almost 2,500. Sucks but I can buy them in the classifieds for about 1k so overall, not too bad.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update

Confirmed - on a lease you cannot add 18in AMG wheels after it has been built without paying for the rims/tires separately for almost 2,500. Sucks but I can buy them in the classifieds for about 1k so overall, not too bad.
YES, sounds right
funny, today my sales rep called me to check up on how the car is doing, and if were happy with it, i told him 95% happy, except i really wish i hadnt opted out on the 18" AMG wheels.

he told me its about 2K brand new wheels and tires non-chrome (which is wat i want) and swap the old wheels for them.
he said hell talk to the finance and see if they can redo the contract and add it on the contract, but we shall see see
Old 06-24-2011, 08:55 PM

2011 W204 C300 mm pano
Sgt if they don't modify it for you and still want some in about a month I will sale you mine for 2100 plus shipping lol have some wheels getting made