C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Antenna problem, PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antenna problem, PLEASE HELP!

Wife back up the car and hit the garage door, break the antenna, got a replacement at the dealer, but the antenna was a little smaller than the original one. (got a 08 C350 w/o NAVI). Had a shop installed it for us, but there is a gap between the antenna and roof. its not sealed completely. Shop told us to go to a bodyshop to flat the roof a little so it will get rid of the gap. Other wise the water will leak into the car when its raining. I attached some pictures, Let me know what you guys think. And what you guys suggest I should do to slove this problem? Will the water leak when its raining?
As you guys can see in the picture, I was able stick a thick piece of paper under the antenna. so the gap is pretty big.

Please see the picture in the following link.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ease-help.html
Attached Thumbnails Antenna problem, PLEASE HELP!-sam_1008.jpg  

Last edited by Cnilu; 07-16-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
We damaged the same part the one time my wife took her E through a particularly aggressive car wash. The force of the overhead roller pushed on the antenna and pushed in on the roof sheet metal. It took a body shop to repair and repaint the roof. Yes, water may get in, and you will probably eventually find it in the headliner.

If the dealer did not give you the correct part, the first step, however, is to exchange it.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:09 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by Cnilu
Wife back up the car and hit the garage door, break the antenna, got a replacement at the dealer, but the antenna was a little smaller than the original one. (got a 08 C350 w/o NAVI). Had a shop installed it for us, but there is a gap between the antenna and roof. its not sealed completely. Shop told us to go to a bodyshop to flat the roof a little so it will get rid of the gap. Other wise the water will leak into the car when its raining. I attached some pictures, Let me know what you guys think. And what you guys suggest I should do to slove this problem? Will the water leak when its raining?
As you guys can see in the picture, I was able stick a thick piece of paper under the antenna. so the gap is pretty big.

Please see the picture in the following link.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ease-help.html

Obviously the antenna is for another MB model. If you had let the dealer install it, this problem would not have happened.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Cnilu
First of all I thought only one wife could do this and now I found there is another one (guess who's wife did the exact same for her 204).

From your photos I cannot see if the roof plate it bent, from the dealer comments I interpret it is. Then you would have to let a body-shop flatten the metal, might not need any paintwork, depends on how bad it is. You cannot leave it like that, the minimum you would have to do is seal it with some proper stuff to prevent water getting in.

Do you have the part number of the new antenna, we could check if it is the correct one for your car (need the VIN too), or you can check it yourself. From the photos it almost looks like a bigger antenna had been installed before this but I cannot think of another MB that would have a smaller antenna (where your new part could come from).