C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

FYI: Tire Replacement and Road Force Balancing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport 4MATIC
FYI: Tire Replacement and Road Force Balancing

I replaced my stock tires (Michelin) by Conti Extreme Contact DWS because I had slight feathering issue, which has caused "um um um" noise problem at over 50 mph.

I ordered them from Tirerack.com and installed them at local shop in MD - Quality Discount Tire, which is one of recommended shops at tire rack.

I paid $150.72 in total for installation. Let me break it into each category for your information:

Installation $25 per tire (Total: $100)
Road Force Balancing w/ Hunter machine $30
Weights (Parts) $3 per tire (Total: $12)
State Disposal Fee $8
Tax $0.72

You can find more information on Road Force Balancing at MBworld.org. When I got there, no idea on what it is. According to a tech there, it is a kind of extra weight balancing method by putting weights inside the wheel. I just said "go ahead" but I am not sure it is really needed. Hope it will make my vehicle more stable and balanced.

I expected just $100 for installation but spent $50.72 more. I hope I was not ripped off. Eventually, I spent $725.52 for all. When I tendered my credit card, the tech said "next time, don't order these tires from tirerack.com. We are selling the same tires at lower price and provides discount for installation." Why didn't they tell me when I called them to make reservation ?

The bottom line for tires:

Cosmetically, Michelin looks better than conti.
I can feel softer with conti than Michelin -- Most of all, it does not make noise any more (I will test them on the highway later and I heard DWS needs some time to break in (approx. 500 mile driving) so let me post review later soon.

Thank you for reading.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:42 PM

2008 C350 Sport
I always get road force balancing. Never a vibration at any speed.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Road force balancing is a great tool to achieve the best balance. The tech at my local shop, who is also a tirerack.com installer, offered this humorous explanation, keeping in mind neither a tire nor a wheel are perfectly round and each will have a "high" spot and a "low" spot. He said, imagine a guy with a big beer belly hugging a woman with a similarly large chest...perfect fit. The road force balancer will point out the discrepancy and then the wheel and tire can be force-matched by rotating the tire on the wheel to make the best use of the high/low spot combination before balancing for weight application. This technique was used on my last two sets of tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my C, and Conti DWS on my E), and they both glide smoothly.

Your shop charging you for the weights is petty. I've never encountered that charge...ever.

Last edited by Sportstick; 07-20-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:03 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
road force is worth it, and they charged you for weights and all cause u bought them elsewhere. Most local shops will match tirerack price, because w shipping its the same money to them, I never use tirerack unless I cant get a certain brand or size locally
Old 07-21-2011, 01:03 PM

2009 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Thank you for all. I don't know why I didn't try to ask price match before ordering. haha. According to your opinions, I did the right thing - road force balance.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
Isn't $30 way too cheap for a road force balance?