C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Need opinion on wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300 sports
Need opinion on wheels

Between these 3 wheels which one looks better on a black c300? the 2nd wheels are anthracite painted.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Need opinion on wheels-amg-830-style.jpg   Need opinion on wheels-borbet-lv5-anthracite.jpg   Need opinion on wheels-mandrus-millenium.jpg  
Old 08-07-2011, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Black C300
Depends what size wheels you wanna get 19z will look nice with the 3rd pic
Old 08-07-2011, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c350coupe, Gencoupe R-spec
not a fan of any to be honest.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 MB C350
ok so those are the only choices....i go with the 2nd pic
Old 08-07-2011, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
I like the first one shown not on the car - I think wheel choice is such a personal opinion thing, always baffled by posters asking other people what rims they like on their own car...
Old 08-07-2011, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
There are some low standards on this forum.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
There are some low standards on this forum.
Yes, but would we all select the same examples to make that point?

FWIW, I prefer the first set of wheels.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 W204 Sport
In general, there are some serious low standards on here. I cant believe how many people are willing to settle for $500-$700 cheap wheels that

1) Risk the safety of you and others and
2) are just plain ugly
Old 08-07-2011, 05:34 PM

c300 sports
In general, there are some serious low standards on here. I cant believe how many people are willing to settle for $500-$700 cheap wheels that

2) are just plain ugly

not many people like you can spend thousands on wheels... if u have problem with the choices of wheels than plz just don't reply.. this was only suppose to get everyone's feedback on which wheel will look good on the c.. not how much they cost.. thanx everyone else for their opinion
Old 08-07-2011, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE

2) are just plain ugly
1) There is no evidence to support that price relates to safety, as some low price wheels come from the same JWL, TUV, and ISO 9001 certified sources as more expensive wheels. BTW, some of these people who buy highly expensive wheels also tint their tail lamps into near-invisibility, so safety is clearly not a motivator for that crowd.

2) This is an issue of taste, similar to the appearance of "stance".
Old 08-07-2011, 05:41 PM

c300 sports
Originally Posted by Sportstick
1) There is no evidence to support that price relates to safety, as some low price wheels come from the same JWL, TUV, and ISO 9001 certified sources as more expensive wheels. BTW, some of these people who buy highly expensive wheels also tint their tail lamps into near-invisibility, so safety is clearly not a motivator for that crowd.

thank u
Old 08-07-2011, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 W204 Sport
Originally Posted by Sportstick

Come on, there is no evidence? Have you even opened your eyes and seen the horror stories people have posted about almost losing their life due to cheap wheels coming apart while driving and/or hitting a bump? Do you want me to dig up some threads to justify my statement to make you happy?

Also, though it may be taste, its still a low standard when people are willing to settle on just about anything thats not an oem wheel. Get clue people. Just because its aftermarket doesnt mean its better. Save $$$ and buy wheels worth owning or dont get any at all. OEM wheels are a far better wheel than most, if not all these cheap wheels.

Last edited by xXHotelCrazyXx; 08-07-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:14 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
As an owner of about 20 sets of wheels in my years of car modding, there IS DEFINITELY a price to quality relationship. Not all, but ALOT of cheap wheels are inferior to quality wheels. I agree not everyone can afford thousands on wheels, but then again theres LOTS of used good wheels around. Most reps Ive bought got bent or lip bent from normal driving, I play pothole dodge everywhere I go w my cars. Ive never bent a stock MB wheel on 5 MB's I have owned, but lots of aftermarket wheels. To the OP do urself a favor and stay away from 2 toned wheels w black in them, its too busy for a black car. Go solid black or black and shiny lip. I dont care for any of the 3 wheels personally. Remember even if you get a cheap set of wheels like 750-1000 u still need tires and dont skimp there. Your looking at 700-1000 for decent rubber with M+B and then u gotta change over ur TPMS so ur at 1400-2000 even with cheaper wheels. If ur gonna do 17s and use stock rubber ur better off painting ur stock wheels or sell/trade for nicer OEM wheels. Look in the classifieds and pick up a set u really like off someone, just be patient. Deals are popping up all the time just have ur $$ in hand
Old 08-07-2011, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 W204 Sport
Jimmy is right, and it always goes back to the saying we are all familiar with...You get what you pay for right jimmy?
Old 08-07-2011, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Come on, there is no evidence? Have you even opened your eyes and seen the horror stories people have posted about almost losing their life due to cheap wheels coming apart while driving and/or hitting a bump? Do you want me to dig up some threads to justify my statement to make you happy?

Also, though it may be taste, its still a low standard when people are willing to settle on just about anything thats not an oem wheel. Get clue people. Just because its aftermarket doesnt mean its better. Save $$$ and buy wheels worth owning or dont get any at all. OEM wheels are a far better wheel than most, if not all these cheap wheels.
Evidence is not based on anecdotes. If you have some data or a source, please share it with us. Other threads and more anecdotes do not rise to that standard due to, among others, insufficient sample size, reporting technique variance, and sample bias. Further, even if some low price wheels may have quality deficits, there is no clear predictive validity to generalize to all low price wheels. Are all MB models unreliable just because some models may have been? Pricing is a decision based on a variety of factors which may vary from one wheel supplier to another, depending on each one's business model. If your claimed safety issue is real, please reference a DOT/NHTSA analysis or an analysis which shows a violation of the safety testing processes contrary to the TUV, JWL or ISO9001 process certifications offered by some (even if not all) aftermarket low price wheels. Other than that, your position is purely opinion, to which you are certainly entitled, but which does not substitute for credible and robust data.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 W204 Sport
Sport, these wheels arnt made to order and are mass produced and cast and improperly heat treated. Why are you acting like there is nothing wrong with cheap wheels? Have you ever had an experience with them or know anyone who has? If not then are you just trolling in here? The op's title of this thread says "Need opinions on wheels"...i would stay away from cheap knockoff...no name wheels op. An honest opinion that would be wise to consider.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
Not all, but ALOT of cheap wheels are inferior to quality wheels.
Perhaps, not knowing the relative volume from all the suppliers. However, your position is already more reasonable, as you recognize variability and that the correlation between price and safety is not absolute.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 W204 Sport
For starters...just a few examples...

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/147987-fa...ken-wheel.html
Old 08-07-2011, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Sport, these wheels arnt made to order and are mass produced and cast and improperly heat treated. Why are you acting like there is nothing wrong with cheap wheels? Have you ever had an experience with them or know anyone who has? If not then are you just trolling in here? The op's title of this thread says "Need opinions on wheels"...i would stay away from cheap knockoff...no name wheels op. An honest opinion that would be wise to consider.
Not that company, but I have two sets of replicas from Powerwheelspro.com on our two cars, and both arrived in pristine condition, balanced easily, indicating a very even distribution of mass, and have not a single dent. Not only is there no evidence of improper casting, but to the contrary, very good processes based on the outcome. One set replaced a set of OE MB wheels, all four of which were dented. When they were replaced at our indy shop, the owner commented that he gets many of the same E Class 18" wheels in for repair/replacement, as they seem to dent more often than almost any other wheel he had even seen. So, there is variation among OE wheels and aftermarket wheels. Everything I have experienced with Powerwheelspro.com revealed good quality products, certified to meet the requirements of international quality commissions. Not trolling, but not willing to accept generalizations when I have been living quite well with exceptions to your position.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 W204 Sport
Im not saying that all cheap wheels are going to break or get bent, but is it worth the risk of your live + others to save some $$$? Why not save up some $$$ instead and get a reputable wheel (not because its flashy) but because the wheels are strength tested and not just mass produced?
Old 08-07-2011, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Im not saying that all cheap wheels are going to break or get bent, but is it worth the risk of your live + others to save some $$$? Why not save up some $$$ instead and get a reputable wheel (not because its flashy) but because the wheels are strength tested and not just mass produced?
Yes, one should be an informed consumer and know what is being purchased. But, you did start out with quite a sweeping statement about non-OE wheels, thus my series of replies. In my case, I bought only from an aftermarket supplier who meets the quality standards of the three key organizations, JWL (Japan), TUV (Germany), and ISO9001, and the results have lived up to the expectations. So, the issue is learning the quality of what is being bought, not simply assuming a high price equals quality (ask earlier Jaguar owners). I agree with you that uninformed consumers buying cheap products can lead to risk, but price alone is not a disqualifier.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 W204 Sport
But price should raise a flag if you care about safety and what your buying. Thats all. If not and neither of those are a concern to you, go ahead buy em!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
But price should raise a flag if you care about safety and what your buying. Thats all. If not and neither of those are a concern to you, go ahead buy em!
We agree (I knew we would eventually get there!)...yes, raise that flag all the way! Study, investigate, learn what you are buying, and then make a smart choice

I sincerely appreciate your concern for safety...no kidding about this...I was a safety manager at one of the US car companies for several years. We've already had our back-and-forth about suspension changes, but perhaps you will join me in advocating keeping tail lamps clear and bright for maximum visibility?
Old 08-07-2011, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 W204 Sport
Glad we agree. Im not a fan of tinted lamps either. I vouched for these instead with no loss of light and are brighter than my oem ones.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Glad we agree. Im not a fan of tinted lamps either. I vouched for these instead with no loss of light and are brighter than my oem ones.

I tip my hat to you, sir!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need opinion on wheels