C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

upcoming service question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2011 | 07:56 AM

08 c63
upcoming service question

i have my 40k service coming up soon and was wondering if those of you with hids remove them and go back to stock when visiting the dealer or just leave it as is. would they claim it voids anything ect?... also are there any cheaper ways about going through the 40k service...service b and trans flush i believe...was thinking about just doing a reg oil change and replacing the cabin filter myself as theres not to much else to a servB...
tnx for the insights
Old 09-23-2011 | 06:52 PM

2009 mercedes benz c300
Unhappy

Do not get a "flush".They will not change the filter if you just get a flush.
I'm not sure what fluid they flush it with.
On my 2009 C300 4-matic it's over $400 in Chicago after a 15% coupon for the trans fluid and filter change.
It's a total ripoff and a good way for the dealer to make money.
I think I'll pass.
I've never had a trans go bad on me on even much cheaper cars.
Next thing you know they will seal the engine and charge you $600 for an oil change.

Originally Posted by DimSum9i6
i have my 40k service coming up soon and was wondering if those of you with hids remove them and go back to stock when visiting the dealer or just leave it as is. would they claim it voids anything ect?... also are there any cheaper ways about going through the 40k service...service b and trans flush i believe...was thinking about just doing a reg oil change and replacing the cabin filter myself as theres not to much else to a servB...
tnx for the insights
Old 09-23-2011 | 07:10 PM

2017 C43
so you are saying that during the break in period of a transmission (not to mention during its entire life) there are not bits of debris that will grind out from the trans which will end up degrading the integrity of the lubricating fluid?

It is common sense that lubricating fluids should be changed as part of regular maintenance.

Now, the fact that they charge you $400 dollars might be stiff at the dealership, but buy the new gaskets/bolts/misc parts and do it yourself. It is a smart thing to do.

Not to mention, if you're worried about your warranty - the only take away from this is that when (if) you should have a transmission issue, it will be as simple as the dealer saying, you never followed the maintenance schedule, therefor this is not our problem.

And for the HIDs, I have kept mine installed during oil changes with no mention from the dealer.
Old 09-23-2011 | 09:22 PM

2009 mercedes benz c300
I'm not a mechanic but I have been driving for over 35 years,owned many cars and have friends that owned more than one car.A trans failure was very rare , connected more to the abuse of the car rather than lack of a fluid/filter change.I will eventually do the service but if I need it done at 40 and 80k then MB manufactured a poorly engineered or built trans.
As far as I recall my 2008 Camry called for this service at 100k.
I do my own motor oil changes and could do a trans oil/filter on a car that has a trans dip stick but not on this car.I'll pay the $400-$500 at some point but it brings my blood to a boil just thinking about it.Most likely because I'm not a rich person and blah,blah,blah

Originally Posted by blue00r6
so you are saying that during the break in period of a transmission (not to mention during its entire life) there are not bits of debris that will grind out from the trans which will end up degrading the integrity of the lubricating fluid?

It is common sense that lubricating fluids should be changed as part of regular maintenance.

Now, the fact that they charge you $400 dollars might be stiff at the dealership, but buy the new gaskets/bolts/misc parts and do it yourself. It is a smart thing to do.

Not to mention, if you're worried about your warranty - the only take away from this is that when (if) you should have a transmission issue, it will be as simple as the dealer saying, you never followed the maintenance schedule, therefor this is not our problem.

And for the HIDs, I have kept mine installed during oil changes with no mention from the dealer.