C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-04-2015, 06:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications and General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Alarm randomly going off- What the????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 4 Matic Sport
Angry Alarm randomly going off- What the????

This morning at around 5am the alarm in my C300 4Matic Sport decided to go off, despite there being no animal or human interaction with the car. (We live in a fairly nice neighborhood, and the car was parked behind the house with no visable signs of anyone trying to break into it.) I went out to the car and hit lock and unlock which silenced the alarm for about 15 seconds. Where it started again. I tried to hit the Panic button which again silenced it for about 15 seconds. I opened the drivers side car door and put the key in the ignition and turned it to the ON position without actually starting it, which silenced it the entire time the key was in the ignition. However as soon as I removed it with the door open or closed the alarm resumed. I started the car, closed the door, locked the doors. Then turned off the engine, removed the key and opened the door. Then I closed the door and locked it, which appeared to work... for about 3 minutes. I opened and closed all the doors on the car, tried locking it with the actual key in the drivers side door handle and this still did not resolve the issue. After all of this, and about an hour's worth of pre-dawn troubleshooting I ended up disconnecting the battery for the rest of the morning. When I left for work I reconnected the battery terminal and started her up and drove the 4 miles to my office. Everything's been ok since, but it's a strange scenario and I'd rather not have it happen again anytime soon.

Anyone had this happen to them? Any ideas on what it could be? I was thinking that perhaps there was a glitch in the electrical system that could have caused this. I just replaced both fog lamp bulbs- with the correct voltage/model that was in it before just 3 days ago. I also replaced the batteries in one of my key fobs that was dead about a week ago. But I've been using the secondary one since the first died about 2 weeks ago. So I'm not sure if either of those things could possibly have caused it. Of course taking it to the dealership and explaining the situation probably will not resolve it, and I'd rather not waste the $ on having someone tell me they can't replicate it and cant do anything about it.

It's never happened before and let's hope it doenst happen again. I've got new wheels, tires, LED eyebrow lights, and a few other modifications on the way. I'd hate to have to cancel all that and just upgrade to the new 2012 C300...
Old 09-19-2011, 02:23 PM

2012 E350 4-matic SPORT
well if you can afford the upgrade go for it bro. if not just take it to the dealer and have them check it out
Old 09-19-2011, 02:26 PM

2012 E350 4-matic SPORT
haha just called u a bro. I neglected to look at your use name and pic haha. I shoulda known it was a Lady
Old 09-19-2011, 04:25 PM

2008 C300 4 Matic Sport
Originally Posted by dgghostkilla
haha just called u a bro. I neglected to look at your use name and pic haha. I shoulda known it was a Lady
ouch. should have known? I'd like to think I'm as competent as my male counterparts in this forum. I do all of the regular maintenance on my car myself, and I'm definitely not afraid to get under the hood.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:35 PM

2012 E350 4-matic SPORT
hahah sweet. and you got a PS3 what.............damn
Old 09-19-2011, 07:33 PM

C300, 330i, MDX
Originally Posted by hottwax0ne
This morning at around 5am the alarm in my C300 4Matic Sport decided to go off, despite there being no animal or human interaction with the car. (We live in a fairly nice neighborhood, and the car was parked behind the house with no visable signs of anyone trying to break into it.) I went out to the car and hit lock and unlock which silenced the alarm for about 15 seconds. Where it started again. I tried to hit the Panic button which again silenced it for about 15 seconds. I opened the drivers side car door and put the key in the ignition and turned it to the ON position without actually starting it, which silenced it the entire time the key was in the ignition. However as soon as I removed it with the door open or closed the alarm resumed. I started the car, closed the door, locked the doors. Then turned off the engine, removed the key and opened the door. Then I closed the door and locked it, which appeared to work... for about 3 minutes. I opened and closed all the doors on the car, tried locking it with the actual key in the drivers side door handle and this still did not resolve the issue. After all of this, and about an hour's worth of pre-dawn troubleshooting I ended up disconnecting the battery for the rest of the morning. When I left for work I reconnected the battery terminal and started her up and drove the 4 miles to my office. Everything's been ok since, but it's a strange scenario and I'd rather not have it happen again anytime soon.

Anyone had this happen to them? Any ideas on what it could be? I was thinking that perhaps there was a glitch in the electrical system that could have caused this. I just replaced both fog lamp bulbs- with the correct voltage/model that was in it before just 3 days ago. I also replaced the batteries in one of my key fobs that was dead about a week ago. But I've been using the secondary one since the first died about 2 weeks ago. So I'm not sure if either of those things could possibly have caused it. Of course taking it to the dealership and explaining the situation probably will not resolve it, and I'd rather not waste the $ on having someone tell me they can't replicate it and cant do anything about it.

It's never happened before and let's hope it doenst happen again. I've got new wheels, tires, LED eyebrow lights, and a few other modifications on the way. I'd hate to have to cancel all that and just upgrade to the new 2012 C300...
It sounds like a defective sensor. Is your car still under warranty?