C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Active Lane Keep Assist - unable to activate?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 05:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
GLE 300d (v167)
Active Lane Keep Assist - unable to activate?

I know this sounds reckless of me but I haven't been able to get the Active Lane Keep Assist to activate (yes I try this when there are no cars around). I have only seen it kick in once with the display in my C250 showing a nice little colour screen graphic showing it hitting the lane markings... but ever since then, I can never get it to activate. At most I get the vibrating wheel when driving over the lines.

Any ideas?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport
call mb? check the manual? i dont have a 2012 with lane assist, but is there an option for it in the settings for how it controls it?
Old 10-03-2011, 07:20 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by JaCe88
I know this sounds reckless of me but I haven't been able to get the Active Lane Keep Assist to activate (yes I try this when there are no cars around). I have only seen it kick in once with the display in my C250 showing a nice little colour screen graphic showing it hitting the lane markings... but ever since then, I can never get it to activate. At most I get the vibrating wheel when driving over the lines.

Any ideas?
Last month, one of the major auto mags tested this feature in Mercedes, Lexus and another that I can't recall.

Their conclusion was, in all three makes, that the systems don't work worth a damn.

They discovered that if lane markers are dirty or worn, nothing happens and in one occasion the car woke up and headed for the ditch.

If I'm such a poor driver that I need to be kept awake and in my lane by an electronic nanny, I'll just pack it in. After all, I've been doing OK all these years just by paying attention.

Last edited by RLE; 10-03-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:35 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Ive seen the videos about how this tech is supposed to work, and it sounds good in theory, but in practice id see it being a pain in the ***...

For example, right now around me there is a TON of road work, most roads have had temp lines painted, overlapping with the normal ones. Half the time I cant even tell where the lanes are now, good luck with a machine tracking it.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:02 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Ive seen the videos about how this tech is supposed to work, and it sounds good in theory, but in practice id see it being a pain in the ***...

For example, right now around me there is a TON of road work, most roads have had temp lines painted, overlapping with the normal ones. Half the time I cant even tell where the lanes are now, good luck with a machine tracking it.
Well, just think about it. With this "feechuh" along with radar cruise control, you could pull onto the interstate here in Seattle, activate both systems and then just sit back and doze off, read a book or eat lunch. The only thing you would have to keep track of would be refueling time. Maybe three stops to Tijuana.

Yesss!
Old 10-06-2011, 08:13 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
I tried again tonight at about 90km/h on a desserted motorway and whilst the steering wheel vibration works (very well I might add), it didn't brake the outer wheels to push me back in my lane. To this day, I can only remember seeing it happen once (it pops up a nice graphic on the dash when it does).

(On another note, the Blind Spot Assist is pretty good. I've never had it activate the outer wheel braking on me AFAIK but I like the little red triangle and the beeping).
Old 10-09-2011, 04:47 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
ps. Here's description from MB website:

The Driving Assistance Package Plus makes an active contribution to safety in everyday driving situations. The proximity control, lane-change control and blind spot warning functions together with the brake system optimisation all contribute decisively to safe travel and a safe arrival.

Keeping one’s distance: DISTRONIC PLUS proximity control helps the driver to maintain a specified (timed) distance from the vehicle in front when travelling at speeds of 0 to 200 km/h.
Extended field of vision: Active Blind Spot Assist uses radar and monitors the blind spot areas to the left, right and rear of the vehicle. If a vehicle is detected within the monitored range, a warning symbol is displayed in the driver’s exterior mirror. Should the driver fail to notice the warning and start to change lane, the ESP® system can intervene actively.
Staying in line: Active Lane Keeping Assist continuously registers the lane markings on the road. Should the vehicle drift over a line or marking in an uncontrolled manner, the Active Lane Keeping Assist system responds with an active braking intervention.
As required: In an emergency braking situation the BAS PLUS Brake Assist system can help shorten the stopping distance. The system provides the brake pressure necessary for the situation in the event of danger.
In the event of danger: If a potential collision is identified within the speed range 30 to 200 km/h and the driver fails to apply the brakes soon enough, the PRE-SAFE® brake system emits visual and audible signals. If the driver does not respond to this warning, it then activates independent partial braking interventions about 1.6 seconds before the calculated impact at a deceleration rate of up to 4m/s2. If the system categorises the situation as highly critical and there is still no reaction from the driver, an independent full brake application can be initiated automatically 0.6 seconds before what is considered an otherwise unavoidable impact.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:09 AM

2012 C250 CDI
Originally Posted by JaCe88

Any ideas?
Active lane keep assist will ONLY activate when you cross a solid (unbroken) strait line. It will brake the opposite wheels to bring the car back into its lane and flash a graphic on the centre display showing you which side you crossed the solid line.

If you cross a broken line only the steering will vibrate and NO graphic will be displayed, the same goes for when you cross a solid line on a bend.

I have only had my c 250 for just over a week and I am very impressed with how well this works. When it brakes the wheels it very swiftly brings the car back into the centre and displays a nice graphic illustrating what just happened.

The better the road markings naturally the better it works. While the system is not flawless it works amazingly well!

The active blind spot assist works great too! If you go to change lanes and a car is on your side and you get close to it the car very swiftly pulls you away!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:57 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
I really like the active blind spot too! So glad I spent the $3k on the Driver Assistance Plus pack because I feel it makes the car much safer (for my girlfriend to drive!). That being said it did save my bacon the other day when I was reading a sign and someone two or three cars in front decided they didn't want to wait in a queue and jumped out, causing the cars in front of me to jam on the brakes, and mine beeped and braked for me!

Thanks for the tip re: unbroken line. I didn't realise it had to be unbroken. Time to find a suitable road
Old 10-09-2011, 09:11 AM

2012 C250 CDI
Yeah took me a while to figure it out. I thought mine was not working too at first. Sometimes it activated and not others. I watched the video at the Merc website and I noticed that they always crossed a solid line in the demonstartions.

Around sydney airport on the highway they have heaps of solid lines and its very quite after hours. I love it when the car pulls it self back in line.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:13 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
Out of interest how much premium did it add to your car? When I got it, the dealers all said that there was a sales promotion dropping it down to $3k until end of FY.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:17 AM

2012 C250 CDI
Yeah they told me that too whenI ordered my car back in may. So I added too!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:08 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
did you have to pay in May?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:09 AM

2012 C250 CDI
On delivery.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:22 AM

2012 C250 CDI
Did they make you pay upfront?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:35 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
They said I had to pay and settle by 30 June with the scheduled delivery date being 30 June (as it was originally meant to come from interstate)... to which I said fine if they promise me a new E Class or better as the temporary car until mine arrived. In the end I got one from the Sydney harbour.