C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

ESP problem with C240

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240
ESP problem with C240

Hi, I have seen a few similar threads, but here is my problem: my 2002 C240 has the ESP warning sign showing up randomly. It can be once a week, then it can be three times in 10 minutes. It only seems to happen when I drive very slow or am sitting at a corner. If it happens the engine keeps running but I can't drive. Obviously this is dangerous, especially when sitting at a corner or in slow traffic. I have to turn off engine and then restart car to get going.
Dealer did diagnosis. Recommended switching gas pedal (which didn't help). Then recommended "updating software" and getting rid of error codes. Didn't help either. Now recommends new transmission. Does anybody have any advice?
Old 10-03-2011, 07:26 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by Zupfmann
Hi, I have seen a few similar threads, but here is my problem: my 2002 C240 has the ESP warning sign showing up randomly. It can be once a week, then it can be three times in 10 minutes. It only seems to happen when I drive very slow or am sitting at a corner. If it happens the engine keeps running but I can't drive. Obviously this is dangerous, especially when sitting at a corner or in slow traffic. I have to turn off engine and then restart car to get going.
Dealer did diagnosis. Recommended switching gas pedal (which didn't help). Then recommended "updating software" and getting rid of error codes. Didn't help either. Now recommends new transmission. Does anybody have any advice?
You need to ask this question over at the W203 forum. But, having suffered through seven years in a 2001 C320, I can tell you that this little annoyance is not exactly unknown in that series.

And if the dealer can't diagnose it, go elsewhere. The idea of replacing the transmission to fix this is ludicrous. What's their next idea, replace the trunk lid?