C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Yet another won't-start thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 C300 Sport
Yet another won't-start thread

my 08 c300 with 44k has an intermittent problem which is driving me up the wall

occasionally i'll put the key in, turn, and......nothing. radio goes on, etc, but it does not crank. usually i have to take the key all the way out and put it back in or screw around with it for a few minutes to get it to crank.

lately it's been occurring more and more often.

reminds me of the crappy old volvo i had in college! but for that i had to go to a junkyard and pick up a relay, the benz is under warranty till june...

i just want to make sure there's not some easy fix or something i'm doing wrong. it seems like a common issue with this model and year and there's a service bulletin for the "electronic ignition switch" but i doubt the dealer will bother doing anything until it comes in completely dead on a flatbed!
Old 10-06-2011, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Sounds like the EIS problem. I recorded video of the issue on my phone and took the car to the dealership. They noted that I had video on the work order, but were unable to reproduce the problem. They offered to have me leave the car for an undetermined amount of time so a Tech could drive it around and take it home. I declined. It is a $2000 fix if out of warranty so make sure they document it prior to your warranty expiring. Make sure you bring both keys.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:44 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
First time no crank

Originally Posted by herschel
my 08 c300 with 44k has an intermittent problem which is driving me up the wall

occasionally i'll put the key in, turn, and......nothing. radio goes on, etc, but it does not crank. usually i have to take the key all the way out and put it back in or screw around with it for a few minutes to get it to crank.

lately it's been occurring more and more often.

reminds me of the crappy old volvo i had in college! but for that i had to go to a junkyard and pick up a relay, the benz is under warranty till june...

i just want to make sure there's not some easy fix or something i'm doing wrong. it seems like a common issue with this model and year and there's a service bulletin for the "electronic ignition switch" but i doubt the dealer will bother doing anything until it comes in completely dead on a flatbed!
Ah, yes. My '08 started doing this a few months ago so I switched keys for three weeks to prove whether it was my key or the car. No trouble with my second key so my dealer replaced the first key, no questions asked.

And now it's doing it with the new key which proves it's the car after all. I may have two weeks of warranty remaining so back I go next week.

28700 miles, BTW.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by RLE
Ah, yes. My '08 started doing this a few months ago so I switched keys for three weeks to prove whether it was my key or the car. No trouble with my second key so my dealer replaced the first key, no questions asked.

And now it's doing it with the new key which proves it's the car after all. I may have two weeks of warranty remaining so back I go next week.

28700 miles, BTW.
let us know what happens RLE, I am in the same shoes as you with warranty and with this same problem
Old 10-07-2011, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haters crazy
My sisters 08 does this sometimes, dealership could not reproduce the problem so they said it is fine. Wtf
Old 10-07-2011, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
RLE, when they replaced your one key, did they give you the new style? So you had one new style, one old style?

Mine doesnt happen that often but it has happened at least 4 times since ownership. I can just see the problem becoming more common once I am out of warranty
Old 10-07-2011, 11:13 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by joshg1001
RLE, when they replaced your one key, did they give you the new style? So you had one new style, one old style?

Mine doesnt happen that often but it has happened at least 4 times since ownership. I can just see the problem becoming more common once I am out of warranty
The replacement has square buttons. Is that what you mean? Who cares anyway?

I just discovered yesterday that the warranty covers the keys for the first 90 days of ownership only which must mean that my dealer paid for it.