C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Help: Remove Side Markers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 MB C230K
Help: Remove Side Markers

ok, i have searched for a while and came across some helpful threads...i was able to remove the plastic liner and the one torx screw that attach my orange side markers...i located the grey tab, pushed down on it and nothing...i can't for the life of my get the side marker out....what a i missing? My hands are beat to hell and i'm getting so frustrated...they wont come out???? Please help.......
Old 10-08-2011, 04:33 PM

2009 C300 Luxury P1 w/Multimedia, Arctic White
When I removed mine, I had a hard time too. At one point I had a flat head screw driver trying to pry them out, but I was afraid I'd damage the bumper. I got pissed enough that I dug my fingers in as far as I could behind the marker <cuss words flying> and just started pulling. After I got it out, I noticed that the hooks on the markers were bent. They weren't installed properly at the factory which was why it was so hard to get out. I don't think there's a trick to this, but you may have to get mean with it. Good luck!
Old 10-08-2011, 07:10 PM

2005 MB C230K
well i finally got it off but I broke it in the process....the right side came off piece of cake...the left side would not come of for anything......anyone want to sell me their stock side markers......i was planning on painting them but now i have a broken light.....
Old 10-09-2011, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 c300 4matic
when you push down on the grey tab you have to pull at the same time. i used gloves because it sliced open my fingers.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
WORST ADVICE EVER

Originally Posted by Ben'sBenz
When I removed mine, I had a hard time too. At one point I had a flat head screw driver trying to pry them out, but I was afraid I'd damage the bumper. I got pissed enough that I dug my fingers in as far as I could behind the marker <cuss words flying> and just started pulling. After I got it out, I noticed that the hooks on the markers were bent. They weren't installed properly at the factory which was why it was so hard to get out. I don't think there's a trick to this, but you may have to get mean with it. Good luck!
you are telling someone how to break their side markers...

your hooks werent bent from the factory, you bent them when you decided to rip your side markers out instead of take them out properly from opening up the flap behind the wheel well and unclipping them.

you have to take out the 3 push pins behind each wheel starting from the bottom

then you peel back the wheel liner just enough to get your hand in there...

then you feel for the back of the side marker housing, and there is a little clip you push in that releases the reflector from the rear housing...

once this is released, the reflector part comes out easily from the front...

cant believe you guys listen to someones advice that broke their own side markers

Last edited by rb23lb; 10-09-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:48 PM

Wow, rb23lb thanks for enlightening everyone here for what REALLY happened when I removed my side markers...since you were there and everything. For the record:

1. I did exactly what you described as the correct procedure to remove the markers. I removed the pins, then peeled back the wheel liner, then used the clip to release the marker from it's housing, BUT IT WOULD NOT COME OFF. If I remember correctly, there are two hooks that attach to the housing. One of the hooks was seated properly around the plastic "rod" on the housing. The other hook was resting in front of the rod, so when I tried to remove it, one hook was pushing against the rod and the other was pulling thus working against each other. That was the passenger side. The drivers side was properly installed and came off easily.

2. Who said I broke my reflector? I didn't. When I reinstalled it, I seated both hooks on top of the rod and it was just fine.

3. I'm not telling someone how to break their sidemarker. I'm telling someone what I had to do to get one of mine removed.

4. Anyone reading these forums should have enough sense to understand that this is not mbusa.com. All this content should be considered do at your own risk. If you don't get that, then don't touch your car.

5. Next time please use more Similies in your posts. They make them so much more entertaining....

6. bmwm3e46, if you feel like I am responsible for your broken side marker, send me a PM and I'll buy you another one.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:33 PM

2005 MB C230K
I think we all know how it SHOULD come off....and on the right side marker it worked perfectly following the above mentioned instructions...something was not right on the left side...i tried for hours to get it off..... it ended up breaking because i was so frustrated i just wanted it off and i used to much force......no big deal.....now i just need to figure out how to get them back in! BTW: i glued the broken one back together with crazy glue but id still like to purchase someones stock markers!!!!!

Trending Topics

Old 10-09-2011, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
i apologize bro

Originally Posted by Ben'sBenz
Wow, rb23lb thanks for enlightening everyone here for what REALLY happened when I removed my side markers...since you were there and everything. For the record:

1. I did exactly what you described as the correct procedure to remove the markers. I removed the pins, then peeled back the wheel liner, then used the clip to release the marker from it's housing, BUT IT WOULD NOT COME OFF. If I remember correctly, there are two hooks that attach to the housing. One of the hooks was seated properly around the plastic "rod" on the housing. The other hook was resting in front of the rod, so when I tried to remove it, one hook was pushing against the rod and the other was pulling thus working against each other. That was the passenger side. The drivers side was properly installed and came off easily.

2. Who said I broke my reflector? I didn't. When I reinstalled it, I seated both hooks on top of the rod and it was just fine.

3. I'm not telling someone how to break their sidemarker. I'm telling someone what I had to do to get one of mine removed.

4. Anyone reading these forums should have enough sense to understand that this is not mbusa.com. All this content should be considered do at your own risk. If you don't get that, then don't touch your car.

5. Next time please use more Similies in your posts. They make them so much more entertaining....

6. bmwm3e46, if you feel like I am responsible for your broken side marker, send me a PM and I'll buy you another one.
sorry dude, must have read your post wrong... my fault, didnt mean to be harsh... just venting cus I have read undetailed DIYs before and broken stuff on my car before and got P'ed off cus of it...

I apologize again

sorry
Old 10-10-2011, 08:44 AM

No hard feelings.