C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Warranty Work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
C350
Warranty Work

Hey guys, i recently purchased a 09 C350 with factory warranty still on the car. I have a list of a few things that i want checked out on the car and i was wondering if you guys could tell me if this stuff will be covered by the factory warranty?

1. Transmission seems to be delayed in shifting from Reverse to Drive occasionally. Ill shift the gears and press the gas as i would on any other car and then the car would rev up for a second or so then engage the gear and jump and drive off. Occasionally has a hard shifts between 1st and 2nd

2. A/C has a odd smell at times when first turning it on

3. The rubber in front of the command center (idk if it would still be called this since i dont have the GPS) is coming unglued.

4. The A-pillar on the passenger side of the car has a broken clip that i just noticed about two days ago.

5. Are software updates or firmware updates covered? Is there any known ones for 09 C350's?

6. Alignment but i know this I have to pay for out of pocket.

Any help would be greatly appreciated or if you guys know of any other issues i should have looked at that are common problems.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C300 Sport, ex 2007 C230 Sport
Originally Posted by amoffitt
Hey guys, i recently purchased a 09 C350 with factory warranty still on the car. I have a list of a few things that i want checked out on the car and i was wondering if you guys could tell me if this stuff will be covered by the factory warranty?

1. Transmission seems to be delayed in shifting from Reverse to Drive occasionally. Ill shift the gears and press the gas as i would on any other car and then the car would rev up for a second or so then engage the gear and jump and drive off. Occasionally has a hard shifts between 1st and 2nd

3. The rubber in front of the command center (idk if it would still be called this since i dont have the GPS) is coming unglued.

4. The A-pillar on the passenger side of the car has a broken clip that i just noticed about two days ago.

5. Are software updates or firmware updates covered? Is there any known ones for 09 C350's?

Any help would be greatly appreciated or if you guys know of any other issues i should have looked at that are common problems.
I think you should be able to get #1, #3 and perhaps #4 addressed.

As for #2, they may tell you to change one or more a/c filters (perhaps the cabin filter).

#5: folks have had mixed results when attempting to get a firmware update. I and a few others were able to get it done under warranty (on a COMAND system though), while others didn't have the same luck. Some dealers don't know about it, others may not be willing to put the time unless there is an issue that the firmware update would address.

However, if you had the navigation (if you get GPS added on, you would have the UMI NAV+4, since you don't have COMAND) and are looking for a map update, you will definitely have to pay for that.

As for alignment, you are correct- you will need to pay for it. I don't know about your dealership, but the ones over here frequently have specials going on, so it may be worth checking their website for coupons / offers. If you bought your car from the dealership, you may also receive some introductory coupon on parts/service as a thank you.

And most importantly, CONGRATULATIONS and welcome to MBWorld!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:18 PM

C350
Originally Posted by ucfbeta92
I think you should be able to get #1, #3 and perhaps #4 addressed.

As for #2, they may tell you to change one or more a/c filters (perhaps the cabin filter).

#5: folks have had mixed results when attempting to get a firmware update. I and a few others were able to get it done under warranty (on a COMAND system though), while others didn't have the same luck. Some dealers don't know about it, others may not be willing to put the time unless there is an issue that the firmware update would address.

However, if you had the navigation (if you get GPS added on, you would have the UMI NAV+4, since you don't have COMAND) and are looking for a map update, you will definitely have to pay for that.

As for alignment, you are correct- you will need to pay for it. I don't know about your dealership, but the ones over here frequently have specials going on, so it may be worth checking their website for coupons / offers. If you bought your car from the dealership, you may also receive some introductory coupon on parts/service as a thank you.

And most importantly, CONGRATULATIONS and welcome to MBWorld!

Cool thanks man, and thanks for the welcome... From your experience at your local dealership, how good care does MB take of there customers?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW M235i 6MT
I think my car also does what you describe as problem #1, like when I put it into drive, I have to wait until it starts idling before I can press on the gas. How would I approach the dealer for them to address this problem, and what would they do about it?
Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Luxury P1 w/Multimedia, Arctic White
#1: There is a firmware update for the transmission that fixes the delay problem when changing gears. I had it applied to mine and it fixed the issue.
#2: This is also a problem that I had. There were others on the forums that had similar complaints about the odor. Occasionally when I turned my AC on, the car would smell like sweaty socks. It was really nasty. However, there is a cleaning process that the dealer can complete to remove the mildew growing in the ventilation system. MB knows it's an issue and will cover it under warranty. Afterwards, they recommended that I run my Heat w/AC on at full blast for 10 minutes once in a while to remove excess moisture from the system.
#5: Firmware update are free if it fixes a problem. But I don't think they'll do it just because you want updated firmware.
Congrats on the new car and welcome to the forum!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
See my comments below.

Originally Posted by amoffitt

You tell them that you need your tcu updated because there is a dangerous lag between reverse and drive. Tell them that you constantly are reving the engine by accident because the car hasn't shifted into drive or vice versa. I had my 09' c350 tcu updated.

Your cabin filter will probably need to be replaced. At your dime

You should have no problem getting this fixed under warranty

You should have no problem getting this fixed under warranty

If you have the factory Ipod adapter, just tell them to update your command for the low volume. That should get the latest firmware.

They'll have no issues charging you for this.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW M235i 6MT
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
See my comments below.
Thanks for your advice on #1, and also #5! I have Audio 20, which is different from COMAND from my understanding, so would the latest firmware still apply to me? I do have the factory iPod connector, and the volume is noticeably lower than the radio.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by Richard2011
Thanks for your advice on #1, and also #5! I have Audio 20, which is different from COMAND from my understanding, so would the latest firmware still apply to me? I do have the factory iPod connector, and the volume is noticeably lower than the radio.
It never hurts to ask, but that update for the ipod fix is for that exact issue. I'm sure they'll have an update to fix the volume issue.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:55 PM

C350
Thanks for the help guys, I made an appointment to have all the stuff checked out on the car. This is what the lady told me...

1. Transmission- Should be covered by warranty as long as there is no damage to it or the car hasnt been crashed.. Which shouldnt be a issue to warranty it.

2. A/C- She says they will check it out but i might need to purchase a A/C Filter ($130)

3. The Rubber on the command center- Says shouldnt be a problem to cover under warranty as long as it doesnt look like its been peeled off (to me it looks like the heat might of damaged it)

4. The clip on the A pillar- She said that this shouldnt be a problem getting taken care of.

5. Software updates- She said this will be checked when they update the software on the transmission..

Any other things you guys think i might should have looked at just let me know as in any common problems... Ill be bringing it in on Friday 10/14
Old 10-10-2011, 03:28 PM

If they give you any hassle about the AC odor, you might print this out and take it with you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
a_c odor.pdf (216.6 KB, 366 views)
Old 10-10-2011, 03:38 PM

C350
Originally Posted by Ben'sBenz
If they give you any hassle about the AC odor, you might print this out and take it with you.
Cool, already printed it out and have it ready to go... Do customers get charged for the air filter in this case since there is a service bulletin about it?
Old 10-10-2011, 04:15 PM

I didn't have to pay.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:34 PM

C350
Originally Posted by Ben'sBenz
I didn't have to pay.

Hmm okay, Ill bring that print out along and show them and see if they still charge for the filter.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:34 AM

C350
Quick questions that i just thought of.. Am i going to need a camber kit to do the alignment on the car?
Old 10-14-2011, 11:49 AM

C350
Dropped the car off this morning, the guy said i would still have to pay for the cabin filter tho even after i showed him the service bulletin so we will see what they say about everything.