C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Almost hit a deer in fog last night, then a dead raccoon......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport, AMG package
Almost hit a deer in fog last night, then a dead raccoon......

Last night a deer was crossing the road while I was driving in fog, I would definitely hit it if I was going a bit faster, I felt very lucky at that moment. I remember someone said hitting a deer would like hitting a wall...

But several minutes later, there was a big dead animal(looked like a raccoon) on the middle of the road, I was not able to avoid it and it scratched the bottom of the front lip of my C300...

I think the deer might be a sign telling me to turn back home ...
Old 11-02-2011, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by imbane
Last night a deer was crossing the road while I was driving in fog, I would definitely hit it if I was going a bit faster, I felt very lucky at that moment. I remember someone said hitting a deer would like hitting a wall...

But several minutes later, there was a big dead animal(looked like a raccoon) on the middle of the road, I was not able to avoid it and it scratched the bottom of the front lip of my C300...

I think the deer might be a sign telling me to turn back home ...
You are very fortunate. I hit a deer at about 40 miles per hour and it was awful. I was driving a Chrysler Pacifica, taller than our Mercedes cars, and, at 5,000lbs., quite a bit heavier. The deer was huge. It ran out of the woods and across the road faster than I could blink my eye, and I hit it with a sickening thud. The last thing I recall is seeing the side of its head and one large brown eye. It went down on its side, thankfully, and not up over the hood, and we went over it. I lost power steering as the front of the car crumpled and drove into oncoming traffic before I could stop. The other cars scattered and no one hit me. Police and fire responded, and although I could not go and look, one officer said it was a 12 point, which I guess is large...I am not a deer expert. The front of the car was covered in blood and skin/fur shreds. I still can't see a deer, or even a deer warning sign, without remembering that awful night.

You are lucky.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
I hit a small deer once in a 1997 Altima doing 60mph. The deer walked away. The Altima had $3500 in damage.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sportstick
You are very fortunate. I hit a deer at about 40 miles per hour and it was awful. I was driving a Chrysler Pacifica, taller than our Mercedes cars, and, at 5,000lbs., quite a bit heavier. The deer was huge. It ran out of the woods and across the road faster than I could blink my eye, and I hit it with a sickening thud. The last thing I recall is seeing the side of its head and one large brown eye. It went down on its side, thankfully, and not up over the hood, and we went over it. I lost power steering as the front of the car crumpled and drove into oncoming traffic before I could stop. The other cars scattered and no one hit me. Police and fire responded, and although I could not go and look, one officer said it was a 12 point, which I guess is large...I am not a deer expert. The front of the car was covered in blood and skin/fur shreds. I still can't see a deer, or even a deer warning sign, without remembering that awful night.

You are lucky.
Thanks for sharing the story, glad you were not hurt.

There is a deer warning sign, but I drive on that road every day, so it doesn't catch my eye at all.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
I hit a small deer once in a 1997 Altima doing 60mph. The deer walked away. The Altima had $3500 in damage.
was it covered by insurance?
Old 11-02-2011, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Originally Posted by imbane
was it covered by insurance?
Glad you are OK.
Yes. It should be covered by your insurance. My insurance record says "Hit FAMILY of deer".
Now that's messed up.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Make a Comprehensice claim only

Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
Glad you are OK.
Yes. It should be covered by your insurance. My insurance record says "Hit FAMILY of deer".
Now that's messed up.
If you make a comprehensive claim hitting an animal it should not go on your record as a black mark.

A collision claim will probably make your rates go up and have othe undesirable consequences.

I always drive at night with my fog lights on and look fothe critters red eyes on the side of the road. Good for Goths too.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
"You aren't a real Texan until you've hit a deer."

I am a real Texan.
1 deer. 8pm. Left front corner. Comprehensive. $1,600.
1 hog. 2am. Left front corner. Comprehensive. $1,800.

Wayne
Avoiding driving in the dark in East Texas.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Originally Posted by grane
If you make a comprehensive claim hitting an animal it should not go on your record as a black mark.

A collision claim will probably make your rates go up and have othe undesirable consequences.

I always drive at night with my fog lights on and look fothe critters red eyes on the side of the road. Good for Goths too.
My accident was in the morning (around 0900 hrs), and the "family of deer" were running at full speed out of a pecan grove and jumped over a full lane before landing in front of/on my car. The rural roadside was lined with trees and shrubs and they were not visible.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
My accident was in the morning (around 0900 hrs), and the "family of deer" were running at full speed out of a pecan grove and jumped over a full lane before landing in front of/on my car. The rural roadside was lined with trees and shrubs and they were not visible.
I'm sorry it happen in the am. The deer limit in NE states is a couple a season. When I was quail shooting in SC the deer limit was two a day? You have as many deer as Mosquitos down south.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:25 PM

c350sport
Originally Posted by venchka
"You aren't a real Texan until you've hit a deer."

I am a real Texan.
1 deer. 8pm. Left front corner. Comprehensive. $1,600.
1 hog. 2am. Left front corner. Comprehensive. $1,800.

Wayne
Avoiding driving in the dark in East Texas.
Deer are sooo stupid, venchka! I had one run out of the woods and hit the side of my lifted trooper a few years back on a two-lane at night while on my way home with my little girl. Pissed me off in a big way, you know. All I could think about was my daughter getting hurt! I sped up to get in front of it as it ran or I would've T-boned it. BTW, people, don't EVER swerve to avoid hitting an animal - keep it straight and on the road. It's just an animal, after all. Funny thing was that the pick-up following me pulled over and I helped the guy throw it in his flatbed so he can take it home and eat it! LOL... Thats the south for ya- wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Comprehensive $0 , peace of mind, priceless...

Last edited by canes1; 11-03-2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: spelling