C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

How Hard is it to STEAL the W204? "Hotwire" Method Even Possible on this Car???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by C300S 6MT
That's a pretty serious accusation...
agreed, it definitely pissed me off when reading... especially cus its all in caps
Old 11-08-2011, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Get a Trunk Monkey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee3L9BQQ4Gs

Old 11-08-2011, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by acr2001
On a side note, lots of the info in this thread is incorrect. For example, you cannot just remove the EIS as one post mentioned and replace it with a hacked version. There are other systems in the 'security chain' in the car which all check for authenticity. Furthermore, keys cannot be copied by any dealership. All new keys come preprogrammed from MBUSA only. Also, I understand that it is very hard to copy a key because there is a rolling code stored on it which changes each time the car is started with that key.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
I posted the information and its 100% correct. U can remove the EZS and start the car w a hacked one and ANY dealership can copy your key. Go to ur local dealer and watch them do it. I know both from experience
Old 11-08-2011, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
I posted the information and its 100% correct. U can remove the EZS and start the car w a hacked one and ANY dealership can copy your key. Go to ur local dealer and watch them do it. I know both from experience
EZS? Are you referring to the EIS? It is not as easy as removing the EIS although I guess there is always a possibility that someone somewhere has figured out a hack. You are absolutely wrong about any dealer being able to copy the key. NO dealer can copy ANY smartkey EVER. They have to provide sufficient documentation to order a new key that is already programmed for your car from MBUSA. Search the forum or call your dealer and you will realize that you are 100% wrong. The EIS is part of a much larger authentication system. I imagine your idea of hacking one is that you can simply replace it with one that sends a start signal and says the key is good. Again, it is not this simple!

I'm not saying that it is impossible to copy a smartkey - but I am saying that the dealers are not allowed and do not copy these keys themselves.

Last edited by acr2001; 11-08-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by acr2001
EZS? Are you referring to the EIS? It is not as easy as removing the EIS although I guess there is always a possibility that someone somewhere has figured out a hack. You are absolutely wrong about any dealer being able to copy the key. NO dealer can copy ANY smartkey EVER. They have to provide sufficient documentation to order a new key that is already programmed for your car from MBUSA. Search the forum or call your dealer and you will realize that you are 100% wrong. The EIS is part of a much larger authentication system. I imagine your idea of hacking one is that you can simply replace it with one that sends a start signal and says the key is good. Again, it is not this simple!

I'm not saying that it is impossible to copy a smartkey - but I am saying that the dealers are not allowed and do not copy these keys themselves.
+1 to the above. Anything related to the EIS with the dealership is CLOSELY monitored and is filled with paper trails. Hell, you can't even buy a new EIS unless you have it installed and coded by the dealership, and only after providing proper documentation of ownership.

But to answer OP's question, yes, it is much harder to steal a 1998+ (when IR keys were introduced) Benz than it is most other cars. And the ones who CAN hack into a Benz EIS will most likely have better things to do than go around stealing cars.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
Im not gonna argue this info. maybe i know too much for my own good. ANYONE can buy the programmer to copy a benz key or just about any other key. My local dealer can copy my key in 15 seconds. I dont beleive they can give u standalone key if thats what u mean, like if you lost all your keys and need a new key they cannot do that. If you have ur key and they wanna copy to an extra one for u no problem. Thats what Im referring to. And yes u can change teh key module and start a MB w a hacked module. I would bet a quick search of youtube will show u a video of it in action.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
Im not gonna argue this info. maybe i know too much for my own good. ANYONE can buy the programmer to copy a benz key or just about any other key. My local dealer can copy my key in 15 seconds. I dont beleive they can give u standalone key if thats what u mean, like if you lost all your keys and need a new key they cannot do that. If you have ur key and they wanna copy to an extra one for u no problem. Thats what Im referring to. And yes u can change teh key module and start a MB w a hacked module. I would bet a quick search of youtube will show u a video of it in action.
when i got a brand new key under warranty cus it cracked, i had to give them a copy of my drivers license and registration...

they then faxed this to MBUSA and MBUSA sent them a new key for me... it took about 3 days