C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Brakes making noises when backing out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c350
Brakes making noises when backing out

I have a very annoying issue. When I am in reverse and I apply the brakes, my calibers are making noises. This only happens in reverse. Brakes are quiet when coming to a stop going forward. Does anybody else have this problem? My SA said it is normal which is BS. I have owned plenty of cars and non of them have this problem. Oh, the noise is like a grinding noise.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
How many miles travelled & have you done any modifications ?
Old 11-25-2011, 10:32 PM

c350
Originally Posted by Carsy
How many miles travelled & have you done any modifications ?

I have 34k miles and no mods. It has been doing this for a while.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
My brakes make a " grinding " noise at times when the car is almost stationary .I have put it down to having the brakes partially on & the pad is vibrating slightly against the disc . I can vary the noise by the amount of brake pressure. I do not see it as a problem in my case as other cars have done it but you should persue it with your dealer if you are concerned.

It could be that your discs are slightly glazed or the pads need a little installation lubricant .
Old 11-29-2011, 08:42 PM

c350
Thanks for the responses guys.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Well, there are two grinding noises it could be. Is the grinding noise "felt" in the car, as slight vibrations/shaking. This can be due to some air being absorbed into the system, and getting varying pressure at calipers under very slow speeds. Its really not much of a big deal, but you should probably do a brake fluid flush.

The other way this sound can be made is if you haven't driven the car for a little while and the rotors have oxidized. You will be able to see they will be visually rusted. And then after your drive, they will be nice and shiny. This grinding noise when backing up is made because it is the first time the pad is coming into contact with the rust and clearing it off. The best way is to gain a little speed in reverse and go hard on the brakes.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:14 PM

c350
Originally Posted by jctevere
Well, there are two grinding noises it could be. Is the grinding noise "felt" in the car, as slight vibrations/shaking. This can be due to some air being absorbed into the system, and getting varying pressure at calipers under very slow speeds. Its really not much of a big deal, but you should probably do a brake fluid flush.

The other way this sound can be made is if you haven't driven the car for a little while and the rotors have oxidized. You will be able to see they will be visually rusted. And then after your drive, they will be nice and shiny. This grinding noise when backing up is made because it is the first time the pad is coming into contact with the rust and clearing it off. The best way is to gain a little speed in reverse and go hard on the brakes.

No, the noise can't be felt. I can vary how loud the noise is by how hard i push down on the brake so it has to do with the calibers if i would have to guess. Let me check the rotors for rust the next time i back out.