C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

w204 Sprintbooster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:56 AM
SSJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E200
w204 Sprintbooster

Hi everyone,

I want to get a sprintbooster for my w204,althought I am not quite sure about it.
What are the pros and cons?
What are everyones opinion about it?

Does it use more fuel because of the more aggresive system?

And does anyone have a good site I can order it from?

Also Its for a 2012 model,not sure if the pedals are the same as the pre facelift models

I am from europe( Holland)

Thanks all for your help

Last edited by SSJ; 11-28-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Email Sprintbooster about 2012 .. should be ok

Then go back to main W204 page, and click on "search this forum" and add "Sprintbooster".

Enjoy the read, My comments are factual, based on the SB "white paper" complete analytical test .... another thing to search.

______________ *** All Members, New and some Old *** _______________

please click on User CP at the top left of page, just below the thread title. Then add the following to either Profile and/or Signature , selecting buttons on the left side of that page:

year, model, if it's a diesel, Sport or Lux, 4MATIC or RWD, Location (city & state), and non-US country if applicable.

This helps others respond to issues, like tires, part sales, etc. Thanx

Old 11-28-2011, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Search for that white paper like Kevink2 said. It's the only factual info on the SB and it tells the true story about it.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Here we go again! I'm sick and tired of hearing about that "white paper". Just because ONE person does some testing on ONE vehicle with a manual transmission- people accept his findings as the "End All=Be All". I don't understand!
I have a Sprintbooster on my 08 C300 and I am very happy with it. After driving the car with and without it- I prefer to drive the car with it.
If you prefer a more "spirited" vehicle, you can try the Sprintbooster. If you order from Sprintbooster- you can try it for 30 days. If you are not satisfied- return it. The link below states it is for MY 08-12 C Class.

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/de...%20or%20Diesel
Old 11-28-2011, 02:12 PM
SSJ

Mercedes E200
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
Here we go again! I'm sick and tired of hearing about that "white paper". Just because ONE person does some testing on ONE vehicle with a manual transmission- people accept his findings as the "End All=Be All". I don't understand!
I have a Sprintbooster on my 08 C300 and I am very happy with it. After driving the car with and without it- I prefer to drive the car with it.
If you prefer a more Spirited vehicle, you can try the Sprintbooster. I you order from Sprintbooster you can try it for 30 days. If you are not satisfied- return it. The link below states it is for MY 08-12 C Class.

Thanks everyone for the replies and thanks alot for the link!
I will keep reading and make up my mind
Old 11-28-2011, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Here we go again! I'm sick and tired of hearing about that "white paper". Just because ONE person does some testing on ONE vehicle with a manual transmission- people accept his findings as the "End All=Be All". I don't understand!...]
You like it, others don't. but facts and data speak without bias.

A link you don't like:

SB White Paper

Old 11-28-2011, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by kevink2
You like it, others don't. but facts and data speak without bias.

A link you don't like:

SB White Paper

Agree...let me try to summarize. If you like to put your foot down yourself, you don't need SprintBooster. If you want the same effect electronically without as much foot motion, that is what SprintBooster does. The overall performance of the car stays the same.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:48 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
I have read the white paper, and I ended up getting one used because it was so cheap I had to try it. Now I wouldnt pay full price for it if I had other mods to do, but I got it cheap so here goes. My new C350 has dynamic handling package w the paddle shifters, BUT to get sport mode on my trans I have to press the dash button for sport and that also engages the suspension and tightens it up ALOT. I wanted to be able to use sport trans without having to lose the luxury ride at times, and the only way to do this was to press M at my shifter and paddle shift or tiptronic shift, which is fun but not all the time. I threw the sprint booster in just to see whats up, and it did just what I thought, makes my car drive like in S mode while in E mode, without having to engage the sport button. If I do engage the sport button its actually even more slightly responsive than before and I get the ride agressiveness I want for that type of driving. To me it works and yes its simple and probably 20 bucks in parts, but it makes u feel like ur car is more responsive, and the good thing is it downshifts quicker than usual, good for a passing situation or a little highway run or whatever......I didnt think Id like it and I actually do, and I have a custom ECU tune as well.......
Old 11-28-2011, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Agree...let me try to summarize. If you like to put your foot down yourself, you don't need SprintBooster. If you want the same effect electronically without as much foot motion, that is what SprintBooster does. The overall performance of the car stays the same.
THIS is the truth.

Those of you who "like it anyway" - that's fine, but it doesn't change the facts. You could just push the pedal down further and achieve the same thing.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c350coupe, Gencoupe R-spec
If you prefer a more "spirited" vehicle, you can try the Sprintbooster. If you order from Sprintbooster- you can try it for 30 days. If you are not satisfied- return it. The link below states it is for MY 08-12 C Class.

I 100% agree. the people who seem to ***** the most about the SB are the ones who havent tried one. so until you do GTFO. and if you have and didnt like it, dont push that on other people who want to try it. I have one, and it makes the car more fun to drive.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by acr2001
THIS is the truth.

Those of you who "like it anyway" - that's fine, but it doesn't change the facts. You could just push the pedal down further and achieve the same thing.
Not quite the total truth. As jimmythegreek just said, you also get downshifts more readily, in automatic mode.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
I have read the white paper...To me it works ... it makes u feel like ur car is more responsive, and the good thing is it downshifts quicker than usual, good for a passing situation or a little highway run or whatever......I didnt think Id like it and I actually do.......
Good, clear write up by a USER. I've stated before, that it provides the quick response that most ECU upgrades include to some degree.

The white paper is based on an older MB, and another class, but I believe it still shows the MB philosophy about the pedal to TB relation.

I think MB was trying to be a purist, and correcting the nonlinear flow characteristics of a standard butterfly valve. They decreased the initial response (less than 1:1 gain) where the TB increases flow quickly with little rotation, and then steepened the curve (greater than 1:1 gain) in the upper/top end where 5 degrees of TB motion has little change in flow. The result was the sagging response curves shown in the WP, figs 1 and 3.

The SB starts with a strait 1:1 gain in stage 1 (0%=0%, 50%=50%, and 100% = 100%) for the old throttle cable with circular pulley on the carb. The stage 2 is still linear, but gets you to full throttle at ~70% of pedal motion.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Not quite the total truth. As jimmythegreek just said, you also get downshifts more readily, in automatic mode.
Same as you would by pressing the pedal further. You must realize that *ALL* the sb does is amplify the voltage from the pedal - same as if you pressed it further. Nothing more. This is fact, not opinion. I have posted the total truth.

Those of you who don't like facts can "GTFO"
Like I said, if you want to admit that this is all the SB does, and you still like it and prefer it, then I have no right to tell you otherwise. But the facts must stand. Too many of you perpetuate the lies and false advertising that come with the product. Again, there is nothing to argue! The FACTS stand. I'm sure you do get better than expected throttle response and down shifting with the SB, but the reason WHY is as I said and thus can be emulated with your foot.

Running away now.

Last edited by acr2001; 11-29-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C-Class
Originally Posted by SSJ
Hi everyone,

I want to get a sprintbooster for my w204,althought I am not quite sure about it.
What are the pros and cons?
What are everyones opinion about it?

Does it use more fuel because of the more aggresive system?

And does anyone have a good site I can order it from?

Also Its for a 2012 model,not sure if the pedals are the same as the pre facelift models

I am from europe( Holland)

Thanks all for your help
Greetings SSJ, thank you for your interest in our product.

While there is a spirited debate about our product. The feedback from people who have actually used it is overwhelmingly positive. Many continue to speculate as to how and what sprint booster does. But the simple fact is "It works!"

Sprint Booster was designed to provide a more responsive throttle throttle. If you own an older vehicle that used a cable system. Sprint Booster can be described as having a very similar throttle feel to that old traditional system. New "drive by wire" electronic systems in modern cars typically hampers throttle response and get in the way of what the driver really wants / demands.

To answer your question about Sprint Booster and fuel economy. Fuel economy is a function of driver habit and style. Sprint Booster does not modify your ECU in anyway. It simply analyses your inputs and provides the correct throttle response without the lag.

We have many authorized dealers that can assist you with purchasing a Sprint Booster. All dealers our bound by our manufacturer 2 year warranty and 30 day trial. If you do not like our product return it to receive a full refund.

While the forum is a great place for feedback. Those who have tried it generally love it.

If you have further questions please feel free to contact us at info@sprintboosterusa.com
Old 11-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C-Class
Sportstick. Sprint Booster is far more advanced that most think. Our technology is patented and works to provide the best throttle response possible. http://www.wipo.int/patentscope/sear...tab=PCT+Biblio

Our calling to develop this product in the earlier days came from BMW and Mercedes Benz customers. Mercedes Benz vehicles suffer a tremendous amount of throttle delay. Both in situations of wide open throttle and even simple tasks of partial throttle car passing and overtaking. Even in recent years, regardless of your engine displacement, there is still a lag present.

When you use a Sprint Booster, you are able to improve throttle response to a point where you can not go back. This is why we challenge potential customers to try our product. If you are still not convinced, we encourage you to return our product and post on the forums your experience.

Try our product and let us all know what you think.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by SprintBooster
Sportstick. Sprint Booster is far more advanced that most think. Our technology is patented and works to provide the best throttle response possible. http://www.wipo.int/patentscope/sear...tab=PCT+Biblio

Our calling to develop this product in the earlier days came from BMW and Mercedes Benz customers. Mercedes Benz vehicles suffer a tremendous amount of throttle delay. Both in situations of wide open throttle and even simple tasks of partial throttle car passing and overtaking. Even in recent years, regardless of your engine displacement, there is still a lag present.

When you use a Sprint Booster, you are able to improve throttle response to a point where you can not go back. This is why we challenge potential customers to try our product. If you are still not convinced, we encourage you to return our product and post on the forums your experience.

Try our product and let us all know what you think.
I don't dispute either that your technology is advanced, or that it accomplishes what is claimed. You have developed the advanced electronic equivalent of what engineers at the auto company where I used to work demonstrated in the days of cable throttle attachments by varying the camming to create more throttle angle far earlier in the pedal travel. It made the car feel like it was launching more aggressively with a slight touch of the pedal. It also made the throttle feel relatively unresponsive at higher speeds, as the useful throttle actuation had already been exhausted when the accelerator pedal was fully depressed. I do disagree that MBs have "throttle delay". They have simply calibrated the response to the degree of pedal travel differently than some others, but the throttle does respond without delay when the pedal is actuated sufficiently.

I also don't dispute that there are people who enjoy the feeling of the immediate throttle angle increase for relatively little pedal travel. Understanding this relationship, I am personally unimpressed, and my manual transmission does not require some of the other claimed benefits of shift performance. I have no reluctance to press the pedal as far as I need it to go to elicit the desired response, and as you understand as well, the engine is still the engine, so overall actual performance is unchanged.

For those who enjoy the feeling described above, your product should be quite entertaining and satisfying. Occasionally, some discussion strays into suggesting increased actual performance, and that is where objections are repeatedly raised.

Last edited by Sportstick; 11-29-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Sportstick, I couldn't agree more with your last post - that is exactly what I had been trying to say.

Originally Posted by SprintBooster
...Sprint Booster is far more advanced that most think...
The SB appears to be a very simple signal amplifier worth very well under $15 in actual parts based on the study that was done.
Now that you've posted a copy of the patent - you seem to be confirming that.

If I floor it in my car, and you floor it in yours with SB, we will have the same lag and accelerate just as fast, so I do with you would stop advertising it as a product that improves acceleration.

From the patent:
"The microprocessor (drawing 1-A) is programmed to measure the signals from the acceleration pedal with priorities, and to calculate the change of the angle of the potentiometer of acceleration pedal, (angular speed). Then the program multiplies the signal's rates by an algorithm which is determined by the rate of the angular speed of the acceleration
potentiometer. "

Would you like to address the fact that the end of the accelerator travel becomes 'dead' with the addition of a SprintBooster therefore reducing the overall useful amount of pedal travel, and thus fine throttle control? This really seems to be all that it does.

Regardless of the points I'm making, you guys have clearly developed a very successful business, one which I would be very proud of if it were my own, so to that regard - good job!

Last edited by acr2001; 11-29-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E500 Estate
One thing worth noting:

The Booster not only ramps the input of acceleration, but also deceleration. For this reason alone we have sold hundreds of SprintBoosters to Porsche fanatics, as they are now able to "blip" the throttle for snap or heel-toe downshifts on DBW Manual Transmission equipped cars. Certainly cheaper than the "Sport Mode" in the P-cars

The product is a huge seller for us, and we stand by it. Certain cars benefit more than others, as with any aftermarket product.

Hidden benefit: the same Booster worked on our w210 E320 Shop Wagon, and our W211 E55 AMG...now both have them!
Old 11-30-2011, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by GMPPerformance
One thing worth noting:

The Booster not only ramps the input of acceleration, but also deceleration. For this reason alone we have sold hundreds of SprintBoosters to Porsche fanatics, as they are now able to "blip" the throttle for snap or heel-toe downshifts on DBW Manual Transmission equipped cars. Certainly cheaper than the "Sport Mode" in the P-cars

The product is a huge seller for us, and we stand by it. Certain cars benefit more than others, as with any aftermarket product.

Hidden benefit: the same Booster worked on our w210 E320 Shop Wagon, and our W211 E55 AMG...now both have them!
Now, that is an interesting point. I still enjoy double-clutching on the downshift with my manual (despite the technological advance of synchros!), and this could make that easier, considering how fast the footwork now needs to be.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Same as you would by pressing the pedal further. You must realize that *ALL* the sb does is amplify the voltage from the pedal - same as if you pressed it further. Nothing more. This is fact, not opinion. I have posted the total truth.
Good point, I stand corrected on the downshift effect. The amplifier decreases the amount of pedal travel needed to cause any TB or downshift event. It's purely a change in signal gain from pedal to TB and TCU .... ie improved response (fig1 and fig3 of WP).

Old 11-30-2011, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
...electronic equivalent of what engineers at the auto company where I used to work demonstrated in the days of cable throttle attachments by varying the camming to create more throttle angle far earlier in the pedal travel. It made the car feel like it was launching more aggressively with a slight touch of the pedal.
A while back, I rented a throttle cabled GM car that had amazing pep for just 1/3 throttle, based on engine size. Popped the hood and found the cable cam trickery.

... the engine is still the engine, so overall actual performance is unchanged..
Based on the white paper testing, there does appear be a trivial decrease in true lag, when going to WOT ASAP. A measured, trivial performance improvement, but not enough to say the typical user will feel this. It's the "cam" trick that sells the SB.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
A while back, I rented a throttle cabled GM car that had amazing pep for just 1/3 throttle, based on engine size. Popped the hood and found the cable cam trickery.

Based on the white paper testing, there does appear be a trivial decrease in true lag, when going to WOT ASAP. A measured, trivial performance improvement, but not enough to say the typical user will feel this. It's the "cam" trick that sells the SB.

True, you scrub probably a few hundredths of a second off because between the two cars stomping the throttle, the car with the SB "thinks" the throttle has reached the floor just a tiny fraction of a second before the driver actually gets his foot to the floor. I doubt the actual time difference is quantifiable in any real world racing use.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
W205 C400
Niceeeee another SB thread

Must say i had my C180 kompressor with 5 speed auto trans and was responsing TO SLOW.

So i ordered the SB (in 2008), and it really make the car drive much better !!

People who say just floor it, dont get it, and never gonna get it i think
So they also never will try the SB.

So floor it, is not giving the same reaction as the SB, i dont say the car is faster, quicker, but the driveability is much better with the SB.

I didnt tell my dad that i have putted a SB on my car, and the first thing hey say was: what have you done with your car....

The white paper can say what it wants, but this are figures only, and not an experience. Maybe it also depends on car/model/transmission... dont know...

Will try it soon in my new C180CGI......
Old 12-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C-Class
True, you scrub probably a few hundredths of a second off because between the two cars stomping the throttle, the car with the SB "thinks" the throttle has reached the floor just a tiny fraction of a second before the driver actually gets his foot to the floor. I doubt the actual time difference is quantifiable in any real world racing use.
Acr2001, while every vehicle is different, there are quite a few motorsports enthusiasts that use our product. All from different walks of motorsports life. The current trend we see is in Drifting and Time attack.

Sprint Booster is responsive throughout the entire pedal range. Stomping on the pedal is one thing, but our product allows a very predictable throttle response in non wide open throttle situation as well.

Once you use a Sprint Booster, you will notice the difference within the first few seconds. We offer a 30 day trial people, and rarely see returns based on dissatisfaction.

Our product does not create horsepower. But it does enhance your ability control that horsepower via your throttle in a predictable and enjoyable manner.

We invite everyone to try our product and talk about their experience.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
I must admit I do not have a SB.

However, I would like to try one at some point. It's just a bit expensive.

It does seem there is very little response early in the throttle on Mercedes compared to other vehicles. This does truly make the car feel unresponsive sometimes. I often have a rental car and on initial throttle input, your boring 4 cylinder NA family sedan can feel more responsive than my cars. Of course, if I floor it, it's pathetic, but on initial response it "feels" better. I think SB would give this feeling to the Mercedes cars.

I think SB is a good idea for those of us who specifically like the idea.

Hopefully I will try one, someday!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: w204 Sprintbooster