C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-16-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

Squeaking Noise when turning steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C220 2011
Update on the issue. The service didnt solve much as such. The mechanic even had a thorough look beneath couldnt find anything. Good news, 1 week after the sound is fading away. I hope this was like the type injury you can run off ))
Old 04-17-2023, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250 2013
Power steering fluid & squeaking when turning wheel

I had a small chirp (like a bird) barely audible turning the wheel. No other issues and didn't seem very loud and no whining noises from pump. Car had 60k miles since new, never replaced the steering fluid.

Well, I tried replacing the steering fluid by siphoning the reservoir and the sound went away. the reservoir holds .4 Liters. The whole system holds .8 liters. Did this procedure twice to get the fluid relatively new.

My Vent:

1. the MB schedule lifetime steering fluid is total and utter BS. Don't believe it at all.

2. The rack and pinion started a really small drip leak. 15ml or 20ml a month. I have no doubt that this was because I didn't change the fluid believing the MB maintenance schedule. Using a stop leak though, I can deal with 15ml a month leak and not replacing the rack just for a drip.

Hope this helps someone else. Change the Steering fluid! I plan to change the reservoir once a year during oil changes.
Old 04-18-2023, 03:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C220 2011
Hey guys. Update on the sqeeking sound from the steeing wheel.

Please look at attached picture below. Im sorry i dont know the part in english but this is basically the part(s) that had to be changed. It was failing on the left side due to wear. Nothing broken but heavily worn out. After replacement no noise. Noise started around 235.000 km and part replaced at 300.000 km

Funny side note: bought the car at a dealership, went to get it tested at a insurance company, they pointed out to wear on this exact part, went back to dealer for them to replace (6 month warranty). They allegedly replaced it(2020). However, when the part was being replaced (2022) the mechanic noticed that some places there were bolts that were neither original nor standard. My guess, these ****ers at the dealership to put some random bolts in and pulled a "yeah we replaced it, everything fine". Moral of the story: make sure to check up on what dealership says and promise.

The sqeeking noise didnt disrupt the cars performance however the sound was annoying when it appeared. Hope above helps.
The following users liked this post:
Odd Piggy (04-18-2023)