C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Bad Belt Tensioner? Please help...C300 6spdMT sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 MT
Bad Belt Tensioner? Please help...C300 6spdMT sport

My car:
2008 C300 6spd MT sport
71K miles, daily driver and as of late, long road trips, about 800 miles roundtrip.
Serviced as per assyst by MB dealer.
Out of warranty, no extended. second owner.

Service B due now.

The story: I've had a couple bulbs out for the past couple months, the driver side eyelid, and the driver side lower brake light. I decided not to change myself because in the past, the dealer would do it out of courtesy. But last month before Service B was due, I noticed a cricket sound upon starting, but would go away after few minutes of idle. I just thought to myself: I will inquire when I take it to do Service B.

Today, I took it in to Service B and let them know that I was aware of the messages about the bulbs. The SA quoted me 55 in labor and bulbs. I declined. I also noted that I change my own oil since they don't use the 0-40 Mobil 1 I want. I also noted that my air filters are KN filters so I wouldn't need a change there.

That was 7am .

My SA called me at 12pm, told me it was almost done and wanted to inform me that they did just take a look at the two bulbs I mentioned and it was just the bulb so they went ahead and replaced them for me so I wouldn't have to go through the hassle and mentioned it was $11 a bulb. He also mentioned that they noticed the brake fluid was due for a flush because it was brown. I said if it could be done in time today, go ahead and do the flush. I then brought up my expectations of the Service B how it mentions they check the belts in the engine compartment: he acknowledged and said everything was examined and adjusted if needed but not replaced, and everything was ok. I then mentioned that I experienced the cricket noises lately upon start up. He replied that they did not hear anything when they started it up and did not see anything wrong when they worked on it. I said great , nothing to worry about.

I got off work and showed up at 4pm. He tells me: your car has some serious problems. He asked if its been in an accident. No it has not. He describes the wires being melted together and that's the reason why I had bad bulbs so they had to change them all. He then tells me that my belt tensioner needs replacing and the belt has been damaged and is even not on the tensioner's track. I asked if it was critical and he said yes. I asked if it was recommended not to drive, he said its not even drivable in its condition even if I wanted to. I got a couple of quotes from independent autohaus' and they both quoted me around 350. My SA says its 550 with a 10% break to help me out.

can I get some opinions here...

I did not mention that I got quotes today already and I even have one e-mailed to me for the belt tensioner and labor. I just told him that I couldn't afford that all today and if they could hold off on doing anything until tomorrow. I then reaffirmed with him "So, you're saying that the car cannot be driven at all if I did not replace the tensioner?" He replied "No, you cannot."

This is all fishy to me. I understand that with a great car, comes great costly maintenance. I believe that I have been a modest driver the time that I've had it. I've always done the necessary maintenance through the dealership even when in warranty and last Service A2 w/o warranty. I've only had one shop ever touch the car and it was for the X-Pipe and I watched them cut and weld under my car from start to finish.

My fear is that I forcibly ask for my car without the tensioner replacement but then they maliciously set it up to fail and boo hoo bad call on me. Legally, morally, and ethically this is wrong but if they did do that, would I have a leg to stand on in a legal battle.

I am thinking yes because I drove it to the dealership, they drove it into their garage, they drove it out to wash it, and now they are telling me this existing problem makes the car non-driveable under any circumstance? If anything were to have happened from when I dropped it off and when they serviced it, liability would fall on their laps, correct?

I'm just very frustrated and have been rubbed the wrong way when this same SA told me that brake replacement was due at 45k miles and it would be 800 for the rear set of brakes.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:38 PM

2012 c250cgi
his behaviour doesnt make sense. theyve washed the car. How did they pick it up the issue when it was ready to go?

ask them to visually show you.. In worst case, the price quotes arent too different, so i would just leave it there and replace it. i would take it elsewhere next time.

you should mention the place so others can post their experience with them!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:52 AM

C300 MT
This is in Tucson, Arizona at the Mercedes Benz of Tucson dealership
Old 12-22-2011, 12:05 AM

Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
I had the same problem with my 2008 C300. The first thing I've noticed after starting the car is a constant low pitched chirping sound which has progressively got louder which prompted me to have it inspected at my local MB dealership.

My car at that time was only 2 years old and has less than 20K so all parts and labor were covered under warranty so I cannot make a comment on service costs. The problem was identified as a "bad/ malfunctioning belt tensioner"

I would still take my chances and drive it off the dealership's lot. The worse that could happen are the following:

A worn bushing in the tensioner pulley can cause vibrations and noise. If the bushing seizes, it may cause the belt to snap.

A loose or worn pivot arm can allow unwanted movement that results in belt noise and misalignment. Over time, this will increase belt wear and lead to premature belt failure.

A weak or broken spring inside the tensioner can't maintain proper tension and the belt will slip. Springs lose tension over time from exposure to heat.

The chances of your belt tensioner in failing is higher if you had the problem for quite sometime now.

Inquire at other MB dealerships in your area for parts and labor cost. A reputable independent shop may also be a good or better alternative.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:13 AM

C300 MT
Originally Posted by ZeroSeVen
I had the same problem with my 2008 C300. The first thing I've noticed after starting the car is a constant low pitched chirping sound which has progressively got louder which prompted me to have it inspected at my local MB dealership.

My car at that time was only 2 years old and has less than 20K so all parts and labor were covered under warranty so I cannot make a comment on service costs. The problem was identified as a "bad/ malfunctioning belt tensioner"

I would still take my chances and drive it off the dealership's lot. The worse that could happen are the following:

A worn bushing in the tensioner pulley can cause vibrations and noise. If the bushing seizes, it may cause the belt to snap.

A loose or worn pivot arm can allow unwanted movement that results in belt noise and misalignment. Over time, this will increase belt wear and lead to premature belt failure.

A weak or broken spring inside the tensioner can't maintain proper tension and the belt will slip. Springs lose tension over time from exposure to heat.

The chances of your belt tensioner in failing is higher if you had the problem for quite sometime now.

Inquire at other MB dealerships in your area for parts and labor cost. A reputable independent shop may also be a good or better alternative.
I really appreciate this answer. This almost nails my experience with the noises and what I've witnessed as of early this morning when they showed me the belt/belt tensioner. I did get a chance to shop around for other quotes for parts/labor but the cost of towing would have almost net no savings of taking it else where. I have decided to let the dealership take care of it... I was just really confused that if a Service B included a thorough check of the engine compartment and belts how they missed this until after I had mentioned something about a noise...

Again, thanks for your answers!