C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

SRS air bag notification on dash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c350
SRS air bag notification on dash

Hey, I installed aftermarket component speakers and ran a sub. I disconnected the Battery to be safe, and when i reconnected it. It pop up SRS Air Bag. How Do i remove this notification off the dash board?
Old 12-22-2011, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by hotq
Hey, I installed aftermarket component speakers and ran a sub. I disconnected the Battery to be safe, and when i reconnected it. It pop up SRS Air Bag. How Do i remove this notification off the dash board?
You most likely disconnected or damaged something during your install. You cannot remove the error yourself. You have to either take it to the dealer or someone with a reader that can read SRS codes. Find out what the code is, track it down to the wire or part that is disconnected and fix it. Then clear the code.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
...and meanwhile, don't use the car if not absolutely necessary. You likely have no functioning air bag.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
When you ran the wire, did you remove the seats? You might not have plugged them back in correctly (bent pin?) or if you turned on the vehicle power with the seats out of the car to test the connection, that will trigger the SRS error in which case you'll need someone with a STAR system to get it reset. I ran into this when I did my reupholstery work.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Azn_C300
When you ran the wire, did you remove the seats? You might not have plugged them back in correctly (bent pin?) or if you turned on the vehicle power with the seats out of the car to test the connection, that will trigger the SRS error in which case you'll need someone with a STAR system to get it reset. I ran into this when I did my reupholstery work.
This is a great point. If you disconnect any part of the SRS system (even the little passenger airbag off light!!) and power up the ignition at all while it's disconnected, you're going to have the SRS light until you clear the error.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c350
I did not remove any of the front seats but I did remove all the door panels and the rear seat to get to the back speaker panel. While I had the door panels disconnected, I turned the car's ignition on to test the speakers. Will this cause the SRS malfunction to occur due to having the door panels off? I am pretty sure I connected all the plugs back up correctly so should I pay the dealership an arm and a leg just to rest the SRS codes? Or can I take my vehicle to Auto Zone and see if they can reset the SRS codes?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
I did not remove any of the front seats but I did remove all the door panels and the rear seat to get to the back speaker panel. While I had the door panels disconnected, I turned the car's ignition on to test the speakers. Will this cause the SRS malfunction to occur due to having the door panels off? I am pretty sure I connected all the plugs back up correctly so should I pay the dealership an arm and a leg just to rest the SRS codes? Or can I take my vehicle to Auto Zone and see if they can reset the SRS codes?
I don't know if there are any SRS parts in the door panels on this model. Im not sure if ODB reader autozone uses can pull SRS codes on a Benz but it is worth a try. Avoid the dealer - find an independent with a good code reader - they should be willing to read & clear the code for free or very close to.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
You cannot be certain what the problem is. If the repair is not done correctly, the cost to you could go far beyond an arm and a leg.