C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

How extensive the MB extended warranty is?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
How extensive the MB extended warranty is?

My 08 C300 Sport 4matic's warranty expires in 6 months and still not decided on extended warranty from MB. Current odometer reads 31700 miles and one covers either 3 year or upto 75k miles after original one expires might be the best option to me.
But after I heard that extended warranty is not as comprehensive as original warranty, I cannot decide to invest almost 4K for rather limited insurance. For example, my dealer said if my flipping navigation somehow does not come out, it won't be covered. It seems like it covers mostly engine and transmission problem and I understand one problem in those areas can easily cover upfront cost, but do I really worry about it under 75k miles if I maintain my C300 as the manual says?
I believe many 2008 owners are or were on my shoes and any thought sharing or advice is greatly appreciated.

Happy new year!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
UGHHH the extended warranty doesn't even cover not working headlamps or squeaks and rattles!
Old 01-17-2012, 12:50 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by snowykim
My 08 C300 Sport 4matic's warranty expires in 6 months and still not decided on extended warranty from MB. Current odometer reads 31700 miles and one covers either 3 year or upto 75k miles after original one expires might be the best option to me.
But after I heard that extended warranty is not as comprehensive as original warranty, I cannot decide to invest almost 4K for rather limited insurance. For example, my dealer said if my flipping navigation somehow does not come out, it won't be covered. It seems like it covers mostly engine and transmission problem and I understand one problem in those areas can easily cover upfront cost, but do I really worry about it under 75k miles if I maintain my C300 as the manual says?
I believe many 2008 owners are or were on my shoes and any thought sharing or advice is greatly appreciated.

Happy new year!
I did not buy the extended coverage that MBUSA sells on advice of my dealer because they say cost is too high for the coverage. Instead I bought a National Warranty Corp. policy which the local MB dealers sell and honor. The coverage I bought is called Premium Plus which appears to cover nearly everything except wear and maintenance parts. Despite the plain fact that my C300 is by far the most trouble free of the eight I have owned, I still realize that owning an MB (any year) can be a crap shoot after the original warranty expires.

I paid $3828 for 48 months from 8/16/11 or until total mileage reaches 75000. That's 45000 miles from today.

And, the unused portion will be refunded if I sell the car sooner which might just be for a 2014 W205.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
I just dropped by my dealer this afternoon to get the information about extended warranty from MB. Basically it covers up to 3 years after original warranty expires and has 3 different pricing based on millage. SA recommended me 3 year 75K miles plan considering my current mileage and quoted me $2880 plus tax. He said I can get it without 15% service charge MB usually charges if I buy it until the end of January.
The brochure of extended warranty does say it is basically extending original warranty with minor exceptions. It also asks me to contact my dealer to know details about "minor exceptions" which my SA could not address properly. He just said it covers everything what original warranty covers except wear items including bulb, brake pads, etc.
Anybody can tell me exactly what is missing from original warranty if I get the extended one from MB?