C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-15-2015, 04:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Burning Oil smell from pass side engine bay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 11:26 AM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by Nicholi2007
Did you turn them counter clockwise? I'm starting to think they were torqued....
These are standard threaded screws. Counter clockwise to loosen them.

Of course, since it is likely that you are looking at it from the opposite direction (you facing towards the rear of the car), your wrench/ratchet or whatever tool is going to spin clockwise to loosen.

The torque spec for that bolt is 12 N.m = 8.85 ft.lbs... So it really doesn't require much force to get them off past that tight range. Since different metals will expand to differing degrees with heat, if you've tried to loosen them while the engine is cold, try it again while it is a bit warm, and vice versa.

Originally Posted by Nicholi2007
I'm down the street from the Grove Shopping Center....
If you still need to borrow tools, PM me with your contact number. I cannot promise anything for today (possible, but not for sure), but by Thursday at the latest, I can meet up with you and I'll bring my tools.

Just an FYI, I could not find my separate T-30 Torx bit, and in spite of my saying a socket Torx bit would not work with a ratchet (too think for that tight space) I figured you can use the T-30 socket, along with the ratcheting 1/4 wrench in the following manner:

This is what they look like separated...

And...

This is how you'd use them together.

The depth might still be an issue for the one screw farthest towards the left of the engine, so I will look some more for my separate T-30 Torx bit, just in case.

Let me know...

Last edited by IGB; 08-31-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c280 2007
thanks for this solution

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Check your cambox covers for leaks & especially the cam bore blankers & covers on the back of the heads. These sometimes leak onto the manifolds/exhausts on the M272. Those two round rubber plugs being the most common. Easy fix.

I'm new with mb, and was thinking that I had a very big trouble but with this post I will be very very relaxed and the next monday will be finding the spare parts
Old 02-10-2020, 12:50 PM
ERA

C300 2008
Hi !
I know that this is an old post, but I would like to ask you something. If you are changing the expansion plugs, you need to drain the engine oil ? I think I just need a cold engine.
The second question is, do I need to put some oil on the expansion plug to have a better seating ?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2020, 08:41 PM

Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts
2009 MB C300 Sport 4matic
No, no need to drain oil. When I changed mine (09 C300), I cleaned the area after popping the old plugs with brake cleaner(any solvent will do) and spread a thin, even layer of hi temp RTV silicone sealant on the new plug edges where they seat. Snap in easily, wipe off excess sealant if any, and still good 2 years later.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:32 PM
ERA

C300 2008
Originally Posted by gamma300C
No, no need to drain oil. When I changed mine (09 C300), I cleaned the area after popping the old plugs with brake cleaner(any solvent will do) and spread a thin, even layer of hi temp RTV silicone sealant on the new plug edges where they seat. Snap in easily, wipe off excess sealant if any, and still good 2 years later.
Thanks for your help ! I just chance the plugs (small ones). I can't find the Big one hahaha
Old 08-04-2020, 09:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'90 500SL '07 C280 '98 E320, '19 C43
I have a BAD leak from that vacuum pump and it looks almost impossible to remove....no room. Is there a DIY on replacing the "O" ring? Thanks
Old 12-05-2022, 04:27 AM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
I think this is my issue and I'm glad I found this thread.

I haven't had a huge amount of time to look other than when I saw a small oil mark on my garage floor from having our 09' w211 on the lift for several days. But then when I started the car I kept smelling an odd smell.

When I finally looked yesterday I see that there is oil residue when I placed my hand in the back passenger engine bay at below the black disc item, which I can only assume is the pump from this picture.

But I haven't verified yet on the other plugs. I did see however there was oil on the o2 sensor exterior plug and thus more than likely hitting the hot exhaust causing the smell...
But it does look super tight to be able to work on it...

EDIT: 12-12-2022
I bought the entire parts from FCP Euro. 3 caps, and the breather with 4 new bolts. I think it came to about $100. VERY easy to change. I just popped off the old plastic caps on the back of the engine. They were brittle but weren't leaking. Then went over to the breather piece. ALL bolts were loose. So, I imagine that's why it was leaking for me. however, the inside diaphragm piece was much larger than the newer piece, so I imagine that was worn out. This time around I used blue loctite for the 4 bolts so they wouldn't back out and get loose over time. The hardest part for me was getting the air inlet hoses off the manifold/intake. They are such a stupid/stiff design it makes for an annoyance when removing and putting them back on. I'll check in a few days to see if there are any oil spots/leaks but I'm glad this was a cheaper fix and quite a DIY/easy thing to do. I was fearing prior to finding this thread that it was gonna be $$$$.

-Nigel

Last edited by NewShockerGuy; 12-12-2022 at 09:39 AM.