C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

What is wrong with us?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300 Sport, 2007 Nissan Titan Crew Cab
What is wrong with us?

So I was driving on the highway this morning in my truck and I pulled up next to a silver C300 pretty much identical to mine. Or how mine looked from the factory. Looking at it from a different, elevated perspective I thought, hey that's a pretty nice looking car. Then I thought about the mods I've done and plan to do to mine, and I thought what is wrong with me that I can't just leave a really nice looking car look the way it came from the showroom. Then I started thinking about all the cars I've ever owned in my life(I'm only 35), which is a task in itself since I don't usually keep cars for very long, especially when i was a little younger. Not once have I ever left a car the way I got it. For me it usually starts small, exhaust or lighting then continues to grow, rims, suspension etc. You can't change the rims & tires and leave the suspension stock 'cause it just doesn't look exactly right, you can't upgrade your tail lights without upgrading the headlights too, and on and on it goes. That's a lot of money over the years. I mean a lot. My fiance thinks I'm nuts when I pull up pictures on here and show her what else I want or plan to do. So why can't I just be happy and blissfully ignorant driving around in a completely stock ride?
Old 01-27-2012, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Why?
Because STOCK SUCKS!!!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by mhad2480
So I was driving on the highway this morning in my truck and I pulled up next to a silver C300 pretty much identical to mine. Or how mine looked from the factory. Looking at it from a different, elevated perspective I thought, hey that's a pretty nice looking car. Then I thought about the mods I've done and plan to do to mine, and I thought what is wrong with me that I can't just leave a really nice looking car look the way it came from the showroom. Then I started thinking about all the cars I've ever owned in my life(I'm only 35), which is a task in itself since I don't usually keep cars for very long, especially when i was a little younger. Not once have I ever left a car the way I got it. For me it usually starts small, exhaust or lighting then continues to grow, rims, suspension etc. You can't change the rims & tires and leave the suspension stock 'cause it just doesn't look exactly right, you can't upgrade your tail lights without upgrading the headlights too, and on and on it goes. That's a lot of money over the years. I mean a lot. My fiance thinks I'm nuts when I pull up pictures on here and show her what else I want or plan to do. So why can't I just be happy and blissfully ignorant driving around in a completely stock ride?
What great insight

Here's another :-

I am completely flabagastered on how some completely change a perfectly well designed, good looking new Mercedes Benz car.

The modified cars all follow the same trend so they all end up looking the same anyway

To my mind it is a big waste of money & lowers the resale value to nil.

Modifying an older car to bring it up to modern standards is another thing.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Originally Posted by Carsy
What great insight

Here's another :-

I am completely flabagastered on how some completely change a perfectly well designed, good looking new Mercedes Benz car.

The modified cars all follow the same trend so they all end up looking the same anyway

To my mind it is a big waste of money & lowers the resale value to nil.

Modifying an older car to bring it up to modern standards is another thing.
Everyone is entitled to their personal opinion, but like I always say "You have the right to remain silent..."
Old 01-27-2012, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
Everyone is entitled to their personal opinion, but like I always say "You have the right to remain silent..."
Old 01-27-2012, 06:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C363 S / 2007 SLK55 / 2016 F150 4x4 / 1998 Cobra Convertible
Guess I'm not part of your "us". The "us" that I'm a part of actually laughs at the CF wrap, wheel/tire/springs/etc. mods that the young people here (on mostly c300) do. Especially anything that affects handling. Most (all?) of the handling mods make the car worse...but people seem to value looks over functionality.

But I'm not going to call anyone out or pass judgement (or did I?) I am amazed how much customizing is done on 300s. Reminds me of the Honda crowd. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for truly functional changes (namely power), but don't understand the "personalization". But it's the right of the owner, so whatever floats their boat.

So allow me to agree, yet from a different angle... "What is wrong with your people?"

Last edited by 2012c350; 01-27-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by 2012c350
Guess I'm not part of your "us". The "us" that I'm a part of actually laughs at the CF wrap, wheel/tire/springs/etc. mods that the young people here (on mostly c300) do. Especially anything that affects handling. Most (all?) of the handling mods make the car worse...but people seem to value looks over functionality.

But I'm not going to call anyone out or pass judgement (or did I?) I am amazed how much customizing is done on 300s. Reminds me of the Honda crowd. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for truly functional changes (namely power), but don't understand the "personalization". But it's the right of the owner, so whatever floats their boat.

So allow me to agree, yet from a different angle... "What is wrong with your people?"
Sorry didn't mean to include everyone as part of "us", but it seems to me that you might be in the minority on this site(at least in the w204 section). And I agree with you, I think some people go too far and make the Benze's look gimmicky. I'm trying to keep my mods tasteful.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
Old 01-28-2012, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
Hilarious.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C300 09' (GONE) W205 C63S Edition 1 Estate
"form > function".. if you're into the stance scene.. haha
Old 01-28-2012, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
It's a general trait that all mankind has always had.
You see something nice and then after being around it for a while start thinking "hey I think I can make that a little better, faster, quieter, louder, etc"
It's the reason we are not still living in caves and chasing our food with sharpened flint rocks wearing animal skins, etc...
It's hard to break a habit tens of thousands of years old.
Of course, when applied to cars, it can get expensive, kinda silly and often go overboard but as long as it makes one happy, it's a pretty good thing.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 W204 Sport
There is no such thing as a cheap hobby.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

14' CLS550
Hobby thats turns into an addiction lol.. I like the "unique" factor of it, setting myself apart from the majority of other Mb's on the road.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:03 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
if you enjoy it; don't give it a second thought..........hyperion
Old 01-28-2012, 11:22 AM

Sorry didn't mean to include everyone as part of "us", but it seems to me that you might be in the minority on this site(at least in the w204 section). And I agree with you, I think some people go too far and make the Benze's look gimmicky. I'm trying to keep my mods tasteful.
My reply was meant tongue-in-cheek. I personally am not into mods, but for those that are, it's certainly their right. :-)
Old 01-28-2012, 03:05 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
There is no such thing as a cheap hobby.
rock collecting?
Old 01-28-2012, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
In my opinion, the great majority of the mods I see completely ruin the look and / or function(s) of the car. A lot of them (like the drops) are just plain disgusting to me. I think the majority of people feel the same way - otherwise modded cars wouldn't decrease in value like they do! No one wants them. Again, just my thoughts, no need to flame.

* Obviously there are some very tasteful mods that are very nice, so I am not lumping all mods together!
Old 01-28-2012, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I like mods because it makes the car look "different" from the HUNDREDS of c-class on the road where I live. They are a dime a dozen. However, all the mods I have done are not purely aesthetic, they also serve a purpose.

I got lamin-x to protect fogs, and while I was doing it, I ordered the tinted ones to give it a special look for the headlights and foglights over other cars, same goes for the HID kit and LED eyelids - Better ligthing, also looks better. About the only PURE cosmetic mods I have done are aftermarket grille, tailight covers, spoiler (for the speeds we are legally able to drive), and rims.

i have never gone crazy on rims and tires though. I don't like the "drops" or aggressive stance, and my rims weren't crazy 19"+ size. Just simple 18's.

Pretty much, it takes the car from being an everyday boring car, into being a car that gathers tons of attention and compliments. Not to mention, I feel very unique on the road.

All of the mods I had on my c300 were easily removable. I simply reverted to stock and turned in my car on lease, no charges or anything. All of the mods were simply DIY ones besides for the X-pipe, which i just left on for the $150 I spent.

Now that I have a C250 coupe I don't really have the urge to mod it yet, since I haven't seen any other c-class coupes on the road besides the two in my driveway! But that miight change when the c350 coupe gets 4matic this spring.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 W204 Sport
These cars are not perfectly engineered. They are far from it. No car is perfectly engineered, there will always be room for improvement.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:03 PM

These cars are not perfectly engineered. They are far from it. No car is perfectly engineered, there will always be room for improvement.
And even more room for messing it up. If changes are aesthetic for personal reasons, then that's subjective. But changes for improving the engineering aspect, I'd bet $100 to a $1 that the majority of changes don't improve it.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 W204 Sport
Simple lowering springs and sway bars alone improve it significantly...
Old 01-28-2012, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 W204 Sport
As a matter of fact the majority of after market performance parts engine/suspension do give you better performance than stock. Thats why it is the aftermarket, to make your car what the engineers did not. They dont make a car like this to be the best handling or highest horsepower. Its an act of finding a simple medium for the everyday driver. And I will raise your bet to $500...I have my paypal ready.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:26 PM

Simple lowering springs and sway bars alone improve it significantly...
? Lowering spring changes the handling characterics. Yes, but not always positively. The springs were designed based on a multitude of factors. Changing the balance of the car also changes the wear and tear on remaining suspension parts and tire wear, as well as brake bias. It might help run a quicker lap (which I doubt most C300 people are doing...I've never seen one at the road courses yet) but that doesn't mean that it's an engineering improvement. An improvement that adds wear to other parts with/without improving real world driving isn't necessarily an engineering improvment. I understand that people want to make changes for looks and/or performance. I've been to many race tracks with my Cobra where other cars have spent more money on mods than the car cost. But being that they are then forced to spend even more to fix it/keep it running based on their changes isn't something that I would chalk up to an engineering improvement. Aftermarket companies are in the business to cater to people who are willing to spend money for whatever their reasons are. Not so much for actually improving the engineering of the vehicle.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:29 PM

As a matter of fact the majority of after market performance parts engine/suspension do give you better performance than stock. Thats why it is the aftermarket, to make your car what the engineers did not. They dont make a car like this to be the best handling or highest horsepower. Its an act of finding a simple medium for the everyday driver. And I will raise your bet to $500...I have my paypal ready.
Show me were modded cars have less warranty issues than non-modded cars and we'll settle the bet. I think we're in disagreement with what engineering improvements mean. I know that my '98 on a Vortech SQ-2 can run low 11s in the quarter, but it does so at a sacrifice...and the sacrifice is where I say it's not an engineering improvement. We'll just have to agree to disagree obviously.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 W204 Sport
Its an engineering improvement if you want to be in the race. Its all personal prefererence...If your going to show up in a stock cobra at a track to compete, you might as well turn around and go home. Its all for fun. The fun of it is to win if your into tracking your car, even more fun wrenching on your car to make it competitive with the other cars out there. But realistically, taking a stock car to the track is great, because that just gives you a base to start with so you can really respect and know what the aftermarket parts do for your car.

Simple things like High flow filters/exhaust significantly improve throttle response and give a little bump in power. Lowering springs will give your car a lower CG so you dont have lost energy going through corners from body roll. (Sway bars too). Things like a strut brace will help keep your handling nice , tight, and stiff too around corners also preventing lost energy from body roll. Front splitter, will greatly reduce over and understeer. Big break kit....allows you to brake really late for those entries into a corner...i could go on and on... and these are just the basics. All which will improve your car in that aspect if your into it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is wrong with us?