C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Mercedes and Nissan?!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Vai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic
Mercedes and Nissan?!!!!

So I was just reading about this merger with Nissan. Apparently Mercedes and Nissan are supposed to share the same manufacturing plant in Alabama. Nissan is reportedly going to make the engine for the new c class (a ****ty I4 too). It is going to be used in the Infiniti and Benz. This maneuver is going to allow them to "sell more cars in the US" and supposedly top BMW and Audi.

I am outraged about this as Benz is continuing to use cost cutting measures to reach a "larger and cheaper" demographic.

What are your thoughts?

Back in the 70's Cadillac was the premium luxury brand and built amazing cars. Now they completely suck because of cost cutting and trying to merely "sell" cars rather than build brand loyalty. Nobody buys a Cadillac now. Benz is going the same way it seems which is extremely sad. They have completely changed their mission statement to make amazing cars and instead just want to "sell" ****.

More people will be going to Audi and BMW. Audi who was always a second class citizen decided to raise the bar and now is a viable competitor to MB and BMW because they are going more up market. Benz is sadly going in the other direction.

I love my Benz but I'm not going to pay for a German badge on a Japanese car.

Bye Mercedes
Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by Vai
So I was just reading about this merger with Nissan. Apparently Mercedes and Nissan are supposed to share the same manufacturing plant in Alabama. Nissan is reportedly going to make the engine for the new c class (a ****ty I4 too). It is going to be used in the Infiniti and Benz. This maneuver is going to allow them to "sell more cars in the US" and supposedly top BMW and Audi.

I am outraged about this as Benz is continuing to use cost cutting measures to reach a "larger and cheaper" demographic.

What are your thoughts?

Back in the 70's Cadillac was the premium luxury brand and built amazing cars. Now they completely suck because of cost cutting and trying to merely "sell" cars rather than build brand loyalty. Nobody buys a Cadillac now. Benz is going the same way it seems which is extremely sad. They have completely changed their mission statement to make amazing cars and instead just want to "sell" ****.

More people will be going to Audi and BMW. Audi who was always a second class citizen decided to raise the bar and now is a viable competitor to MB and BMW because they are going more up market. Benz is sadly going in the other direction.

Bye Mercedes
Are you xenophobic or just butt hurt your W204 4Matic goes down the road like a wet noodle?
A MBW friend’s Nissan GT-R can spank most any MB/AMG. He also has a M5 for mundane commuting duties.

I’ve earned few dollars but wear Carhartt and Wrangler apparel most days. Don’t really care what others may think.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Vai

What are your thoughts?

Bye Mercedes
It's not a merger. It's a joint venture. Would you feel better if the Nissan employees resigned and were hired by Mercedes? Same people...different uniforms. You are connecting events unrelated to the final outcome, and sharing a plant does not turn a German car into one from Japan. The design of the engine and the standards/capability of the plant are the issue. The name hanging on the building really makes no difference if what is going on inside meets the most stringent standards.

BTW, your history on Cadillac is completely inverted. Cadillac quality in the 70's was dreadful. Recently, it is much improved, easily demonstrated through objective third party data.

Those who migrate to BMW may have a different but equally good experience. Those who migrate to Audi more likely will have a new friend on a first name basis...their service advisor.

Save your outrage for things in your lifetime which really matter.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:18 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by Vai

What are your thoughts?

Bye Mercedes
What has been publicized is that MB will contract with Nissan to build some engines for the 2014 C-Classes that will be built in the existing MB plant in Alabama. They will not be Nissan engines but Mercedes engines built by a contractor which just happens to be Nissan. Certainly cheaper than shipping completed engines across the pond. Particularly since North America is MB's biggest market for the W204.

Where was this article you read published?