C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C300 Sport Tire life

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by jetflyboy
Here is the ContiSortContact 3 tire (removed). As you look at it, the thread is different on the left side than that on the right. So, if I switch them on the rear, the threads will be backwards from what they are now, and I don't know if that is going to affect the stability, drive-ability or the integrity or even the safety of the ride.
You do know it's safe to swap side to side. If it was not safe, you would see a big directional arrow on the sidewall.

You are forgetting that there is a whole different group called asymmetric tires , mostly non-directional. These tires bias the tread pattern based on need ... square blocks on the outer edge for cornering, and another pattern on the rest of the tire for other needs, such as water shedding. The DWS tires are an excellent example.

ContiSportContact 3

READ the description, they are of the non-directional group. Click on the side view and click again to zoom in ... no directional arrow.

Now compare it to this Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position: (removed)

Here I noticed that the thread is pretty much the same on either side of the tire, thus making it non directional and its ok to swap the rears.
No, these tires ARE directional, as the big V pattern suggests.

Potenza RE970AS

That was my understanding of the directional tires. As I said, this is only my understanding, so I might be incorrect
Just a little more reading and you would have been correct!

Originally Posted by Domm, answering flyboy
You're assumptions are right .... You're also completely correct on your understanding.
are you sure about that?

Originally Posted by Sportstick
Good conversation and well done to all!
... must have missed his morning coffee

Old 04-23-2012, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merc C300 sport, arctic white, P1, MM/Navi, iPod kit, 20% Tint, C63 Grill, X-Pipe, HID DDM Kit
Originally Posted by kevink2
How often rotated side to side, and also aligned?

Aligned and rotated side to side, only twice. I guess I'm fortunate to live in Cali where the weather doesn't change too much and the roads here aren't too tore up. Other than that I'm a real stickler about tire pressure (I carry a digital gauge in my glove), but after 32K they really needed replacing. I wasn't down to nothing but pretty close to it. oh also I don't peel out or do a ton of heavy cornering. Also most are freeway miles too and from work which is a 20 minute straight shot.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:04 PM

2010 C300 Sport
Ok, thanks for the clarifications. I needed to get to know more about tires, and that's why I'm here.

You do know it's safe to swap side to side. If it was not safe, you would see a big directional arrow on the sidewall.

You are forgetting that there is a whole different group called asymmetric tires , mostly non-directional. These tires bias the tread pattern based on need ... square blocks on the outer edge for cornering, and another pattern on the rest of the tire for other needs, such as water shedding. The DWS tires are an excellent example.

ContiSportContact 3

READ the description, they are of the non-directional group. Click on the side view and click again to zoom in ... no directional arrow.

No, these tires ARE directional, as the big V pattern suggests.

Potenza RE970AS

Just a little more reading and you would have been correct!

are you sure about that?

... must have missed his morning coffee

Old 04-23-2012, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by myinternetsucks
... Other than that I'm a real stickler about tire pressure (I carry a digital gauge in my glove) ....
Thanks for the reply, what pressures did you run, F & R ?

Old 04-23-2012, 03:00 PM

Merc C300 sport, arctic white, P1, MM/Navi, iPod kit, 20% Tint, C63 Grill, X-Pipe, HID DDM Kit
Thanks for the reply, what pressures did you run, F & R ?

I usually run 2-4LBS over recommended 30-35 is a good starting point.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 AM

2010 C300 Sport
Hey KevinK2,

Thanks for all the info. Today, yes today, I realized how mistaken I was in the photos that I posted. For some reason, I forgot the simplicity of how the tires are actually rotated. I forgot that when you move the tire from the left to the right, you are actually turning it 180 degrees, thus the treads are still in the same position they were on the other side facing forward.

You'd think a college grad. at the age of 50 and driving a Mercedes Benz would know that, eh? Oh well...

Thanks again

Old 04-25-2012, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Hey KevinK2,

Thanks for all the info .... I forgot that when you move the tire from the left to the right, you are actually turning it 180 degrees, thus the treads are still in the same position they were on the other side facing forward...
De Nada. That simple side to side swap for staggered tires reverses the process of "feathering wear" which creates noise.

Here's feathering wear felt on the top of the tire by using a light hand pressure on the outer ring of tread, stroked forward and back.

Top of tire, front of car to the right:
. .__ . . __
_/. ./__/../_

Not exact, but you get a rough feel when sliding hand back, and smooth forward. More like a hack saw blade, back vs forward thing.

rotate tires every 5K miles, 10K max. Staggared = side to side, equal size is cross pattern.

staggard with directional tires = no rotation, unless tire is dismounted (not recommended).

Last edited by kevink2; 04-25-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:46 PM

2011 C300 Sport, 2007 Nissan Titan Crew Cab

staggard with directional tires = no rotation, unless tire is dismounted (not recommended).

Yep, sucks for me. Oh well, I think next month will be a year since I bought the car & still only 6.8K on the clock. I should still get my moneys worth out of my tires.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:22 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
I'm sorry I'm a bit late to ask, but would you elaborate on "directional" since my tires are staggered, and if you meant that I will not be able to rotate them. Thnx
This may be a bit late, but, directional tires have a big arrow on the sidewall pointing in direction of rotation. Others, like mine, are marked "outside" which is self explanatory and means they may be switched side to side which I do twice yearly.

Unless these indicators are present, there are no restrictions. The very old tale of not turning radials the other direction after break-in dates from the earliest days of Michelin radials and has not applied for decades.

My C300 on 18s, due to too much high speed cornering, is getting close to tire replacement time because the front shoulders are quite worn although the tires are still legal at 32500 miles.

I have been researching tires and require something close in performance to my Bridgestone RE-050As which are now NLA. After comparing three tires on Tire Racks's website followed by a 30 minute conversation with them, I have made my choice and will be ordering soon.

Too much is being made of this.

Last edited by RLE; 04-25-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:39 PM

2010 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by RLE
This may be a bit late, but, directional tires have a big arrow on the sidewall pointing in direction of rotation. Others, like mine, are marked "outside" which is self explanatory and means they may be switched side to side which I do twice yearly.

Unless these indicators are present, there are no restrictions. The very old tale of not turning radials the other direction after break-in dates from the earliest days of Michelin radials and has not applied for decades.

My C300 on 18s, due to too much high speed cornering, is getting close to tire replacement time because the front shoulders are quite worn although the tires are still legal at 32500 miles.

I have been researching tires and require something close in performance to my Bridgestone RE-050As which are now NLA. After comparing three tires on Tire Racks's website followed by a 30 minute conversation with them, I have made my choice and will be ordering soon.

Too much is being made of this.

Thanks a bunch. I think I finally got my bearings on this...no pun intended
Old 04-25-2012, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by RLE

....and the winner is?
Old 04-26-2012, 04:08 PM

ML 350-Black=Sold. New 08 C300 4Matic, Black/Black, P1, Ipod, Auto7speed, 10/10 hit 100,000 miles
I got around 60,000 miles on my Michelin staggered tires , mostly highway miles. Over due for my next set, I have 152,000 miles on my car now. it's an 08'