C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

What kind of tires do you have?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by jetflyboy
Well, Sport, guess what? Michelin does not make this tire in my size, or I should say I cannot find it anywhere. I found the MXM4 for the rear but not a one for the front. And I am one of these people that believe in having the same tire on all sides.

I don't want to keep dragging this thread, but you pointed me in the right direction to search, and I am very appreciative.
Sorry to hear that....the next best thing to do is spend some time on tirerack.com. Start with the surveys and understand the different categories you can choose to see survey results, such as Grand Touring and Ultra High Performance. Note that several are listed for both All Season or Summer. Consider Summer tires if you don't get below 45 degrees F, or also have winter tires. Once in a survey, click on the column heading for Comfort or Noise and watch the tires get reordered from best to worst. Take note of a few of the best ones from Grand Touring right up to high performance categories, and then look at those tires individually, and look for each one's test results tab. Then select "Read the Full Test Reports", and then select "Test Results Charts". You will find more objective data to support or not, the large sample data on those individual categories. Happy shopping!
Old 04-27-2012, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
PZero
Old 04-27-2012, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merc C300 sport, arctic white, P1, MM/Navi, iPod kit, 20% Tint, C63 Grill, X-Pipe, HID DDM Kit
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 Mercedes C300
After reading this:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=148

I think i'll be going with the Continental DW. Although I would prefer a slightly better handling tire such as the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, I think these tires are great value for money since i'd be saving around $200 for 2 tires. They do satisfy my main priorities which are safety (dry and wet) and comfort and I think they'd be perfectly capable if I ever have short bursts of spirited driving. Thanks everyone for the information and I hope this thread helps other members out when it comes time to change your tires

Last edited by Domm; 04-28-2012 at 03:44 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:33 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
[QUOTE=Domm;5167474]Thanks for the helpful information. Its seems that the DWS tires are considered, overall, a very good tire. Does anyone have experience with Bridgestone, Goodyear, or Falken tires?...big snip..QUOTE]

Yes. I had thoughts about jumping on the DWS bandwagon but not before some research of my own. I asked one of my Porsche Club friends if he had ever heard of the DWS and he said no but he had heard that the DW was a good tire.

Since my Bridgestone RE-050As are just about finished and are now NLA, I need to find something comparable. I called Tire Rack and spent about 30 minutes with them. I said I was looking for a tire with the attributes of my outgoing tires which would be, good wet and dry performance, reasonably quiet with good grip and a reasonable tread life.

Back in 2007 when I was looking for tires for my C300 before delivery, I looked at what was available at the time and the possibilities were Michelin, Pirelli and Bridgestone. Reading the reviews and tests of the three, the Bridgestone had the edge, slightly. It was quieter and in general slightly superior to the others in the categories. And, I've been very happy with my choice at 33K miles, now.

But now there are some new tires available so I could certainly make a change if warranted. I told the Tire Rack person that turn-in and grip were important to me and that I had heard that the DW might be right for my car this time. He said that he didn't think that it was going to fit my requirements so I asked about the DWS. He said that one was not in the running due to inferior turn-in, softer even than the DW.

I asked which tire would be closest in overall performance to my present tires and his answer was the Bridgestone SO-4 Pole Position.

So, this will likely be my choice as soon as I can find a tire mounting shop that will guarantee no wheel damage.

The sole disadvantage to these tires is the price which is $960 including freight. That's $120 more than a set of DWSs, for example.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
I'm still running stock Contis (SC3 i think) and also have a set of Toyo R888s for occasional use. For daily once the contis wear out I think I will probably go with some Michelin PSS.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 MB C230K Sport Sedan & 2011 MB C300
Just installed a pair of continental extremecontact DWS tires on my 19inch wheels. They are ALOT better than the federal ss-595's that were on their before due to the previous owner being on a strict budget. It's my first time ever using the DWS and so far it's been great! I drive alot of highway and city commuting.