C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Question for those that have installed Mid City VIM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C350 Sport
Question for those that have installed Mid City VIM

I am in the process of installing the Mid City VIM in my car and have a couple of questions that I can't find an answer to by searching.

My first question is about the orange rectangular connector that is part of the main plug for the radio. When you add the harness for the VIM there is no place to put this plug and it is not seen on the video or pictures that are provided. Does anyone know what this plug does? I would hate to leave it disconnected. It goes above the white plug in the connector.

My second question is about the rear seat cable that I purchased. It has two FAKRA connections on one end and a video jack on the other. One FAKRA is labeled C and the other Y. I can not for the life of me figure out where these would go. Has anyone set something like this up before? I am trying to add screens to my headrests.

Today is a big day, I am also installing my lighted sills and strut bar.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
when I did mine it took me 10 min total, it was harder getting the head unit out. I kno theres a few different models, the one I have is just VIM no additional inputs, I have OEM backup camera. The main plug went into the head unit, the smaller plug also. Then the other 2 plugs went back into the factory harness, the VIM is in the middle so to speak. I did have a little issue with the one connector, my OEM MM plug had a clipped corner and the VIm was square, but w a little force it goes in. Maybe if you can post a pic of the VIM i can guide you. I do kno somewhere on midcity site there is install instructions....
Old 04-29-2012, 01:29 PM

2010 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
when I did mine it took me 10 min total, it was harder getting the head unit out. I kno theres a few different models, the one I have is just VIM no additional inputs, I have OEM backup camera. The main plug went into the head unit, the smaller plug also. Then the other 2 plugs went back into the factory harness, the VIM is in the middle so to speak. I did have a little issue with the one connector, my OEM MM plug had a clipped corner and the VIm was square, but w a little force it goes in. Maybe if you can post a pic of the VIM i can guide you. I do kno somewhere on midcity site there is install instructions....
I will snap a pic when I get back. I had to go to work for a couple hours. The instructions do not show the pin and I am talking about.

Stay tuned.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2012, 11:33 AM

2010 C350 Sport
The kit is installed and seems to be working correctly. The orange rectangular connector needed to be modified to fit the harness but I was able to get it done. I tested the camera last night after I finally got the radio to sit in it's home correctly. I ended up removing a piece of padding from the back of the hole and tucking stuff behind it. Then I replaced the padding, that seemed to do the trick. It was a very tight fit overall.

I need to finish hooking my 4 screens up before I can test the rear seat entertainment option but the system accepted my programming last night. I should be good to go, I just need to replace the vents tonight.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:31 PM

'09 C350
Originally Posted by 05 MB Komp
I am in the process of installing the Mid City VIM in my car and have a couple of questions that I can't find an answer to by searching.

My first question is about the orange rectangular connector that is part of the main plug for the radio. When you add the harness for the VIM there is no place to put this plug and it is not seen on the video or pictures that are provided. Does anyone know what this plug does? I would hate to leave it disconnected. It goes above the white plug in the connector.

My second question is about the rear seat cable that I purchased. It has two FAKRA connections on one end and a video jack on the other. One FAKRA is labeled C and the other Y. I can not for the life of me figure out where these would go. Has anyone set something like this up before? I am trying to add screens to my headrests.

Today is a big day, I am also installing my lighted sills and strut bar.

Thanks in advance.
how much did u pay for the VIM from them? and is it hard to install?

thanks
Old 05-04-2012, 12:40 PM

2010 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by dadangman
how much did u pay for the VIM from them? and is it hard to install?

thanks
I think I paid around $700 for the VIM, camera and special connection I needed for the Rear Seat Entertainment. Their customer service is outstanding and I would buy from them again in a heartbeat.

Installation is not difficult, I really took my time removing the center vents so I did not scratch anything and covered all of the edges of the dashboard around the radio with tape.

The hardest part is making everything fit back in the hole so the radio lines up. It took me about 3 hours to get it situated right, removing the padding in the back helped a lot.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:48 PM

'09 C350
Originally Posted by 05 MB Komp
I think I paid around $700 for the VIM, camera and special connection I needed for the Rear Seat Entertainment. Their customer service is outstanding and I would buy from them again in a heartbeat.

Installation is not difficult, I really took my time removing the center vents so I did not scratch anything and covered all of the edges of the dashboard around the radio with tape.

The hardest part is making everything fit back in the hole so the radio lines up. It took me about 3 hours to get it situated right, removing the padding in the back helped a lot.
wow 3 hours and $700.. okay thanks for the info.. i'm wondering wat's the difference between them and some VIM from ebay bypass, which is like 170... http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTERFACE-TV...-/360402692945