C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Is it a good deal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it a good deal?

Hi pals
The dealer just gave me an offer to trade in my 08 GL450 with 36k miles for a 2012 C300(already has 2k mileage but has never been titled) with multimedia package. They want additional 4700 dollars on this deal. Two weeks ago the wife crashed the GL and the repaid will cost 2500, which I scheduled on May 14. Also if I keep the GL, ill have to do the trasmission flush soon (when it hits the 39k mile), this is an additional $500.
The dealer said I gave them the $4700, I drive the C300 home. So I don't need to worry about anything on the GL, don't need to fix it.
Can anyone give me some advise on this? Is it a good deal?
Btw, the C300 looks great, but is it reliable? I have heard many compliant about Mercedes, but mostly SUVs. And it the C manufactured in German or in states?
Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:05 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
The c300 is a great, and so far reliable, car and most people here would agree, but with 2k miles already and still at the dealership? My experience with test driving cars is I beat them to hell to see if I really like it or not. The entire break in period has probably seen sporadic revving, which is the complete opposite of how you want to treat it when breaking it in, so i'd take that into consideration.

What does KBB quote you on your 08 GL450? If you really like the C300, try to find a practically new (I'm sure you can find one below 30 miles) one and negotiate till you get to that price point. They probably dropped the price on this C300 because of the high mileage so expect to pay more if you want one with less miles.

I was talking with the internet manager at Acura about 3 days ago and we were talking about the 2013 RDX (my girlfriend's mom was considering it) and he pointed out one that had 500 miles and he said that they'll probably use it to run errands because no one would consider buying it with such high miles. Although there could be nothing wrong with the car even with such high, test driven, miles, it's still something to worry about.

I believe the C300 is built in either Germany or South Africa but you should look at the specification sheet.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:15 PM

Domm thank you for your advice! The manager in the dealership said he put all the mileage on this car since actually he drives everything in the dealership. I have known him for many years and kinda trust him. He said most of the 2k miles are highway miles. I drive the car for a day and it seems has no problem at least for now.
But I do worry about the break in period, as you mentioned. Do you think the car is still in break in or not? If the manager really mess up the car only for this 2000 miles, do you think it will cause big problems in the future?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:44 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Would you make a decision costing you $4,700 and possibly more in the future on a "kinda"? I'm not questioning your relationship with the manager and yes, he could be a great guy who's trying to give you a great deal, but in the end, he's trying to do his job and push out cars to make money. Even if he's driven the car mainly on the highway, it depends how fast he drives because 55 mph is usually the maximum for break-in and you shouldn't maintain a certain speed for prolonged periods of time.

The break in period is usually the first 1,000 miles and the purpose of the procedure is to seat the piston rings properly. If those rings aren't seated properly, there is a possibility that your cylinder walls (and eventually your engine) will wear out. In a worst case scenario, it may even require a brand new (or used) engine sooner than expected.

The break-in period is also rather speculative and theres debate mentioning that current technology with new engines don't require it or the car comes pre-broken into. Its something to talk about with your wife, which is who you really want to listen to
Old 04-29-2012, 05:06 PM

Yeah I agree that the manager's first tast is always to sell the car as quick as possible.. So now the car has 2k miles then it is out the break in period. I better go for a brank new one since I plan to keep the car as long as possible.
Will reject the offer! And thanks a lot buddy.