C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Swapping Wheels - TPMS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Swapping Wheels - TPMS?

Hi -

I'm considering swapping the wheels from my 09 4Matic Sport with AMG's from an 09 sport. Do I just need to reset the TPMS using the procedure in the manual or is there more to it? The sensors will stay with the original wheels so her TPMS will end up on my car and vise versa.

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:14 PM

2011 C300 Sport, 2007 Nissan Titan Crew Cab
As long as they are the same frequency(433mhz) you shouldn't have to do anything, just drive a few miles and they should sync automatically. If not then try a reset. I just put new TPMS in my 19's and once I got the right sensors installed, I didn't have to do anything.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:14 AM

2008 Mercedes C300
tpms

agreed^^^^^^^

Once i got my new wheels installed i also purchased new tpms because the used were a bit old and starting to crack. once installed, i drove no more than 10mi and the error/caution msg cleared and the new tpms synced nicely with the car. Cheers and Good Luck
Old 08-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

TITANTPMS
Here is how to reset your TPMS for NEW sensors ID's and/or resetting Air Pressure.

RESET Air Pressure
1 Inflate all tires to pressure listed on tire placard.
2. Turn ignition to ON position (engine off).
3. Press forward/back button on steering wheel until trip and odometer are displayed.
4. Press UP/DOWN button until tire inflation pressure monitor is displayed
5. Hold down reset button (located on instrument cluster) until MONITOR CURRENT TIRE PRESSURE? Is displayed.
6. Press + button TIRE PRESS, MONITOR ACTIVATED-PRESS. DISPLAY AFTER DRIVING A FEW MINS. is displayed.
7. If REACTIVATE-TIRE PRESS. MONITOR! Appears, repeat relearn procedure.
8. If CHECK TIRES! appears, indicates tire pressure too low, adjust pressures accordingly
Relearn New Sensor Ids.
Ensure all tires are inflated to the pressure listed on the tire placard. Vehicle must be driven for at least 10 minutes, while maintaining speed above 15 mph in order for system to learn new sensor IDs. If spare tire sensor ID is being programmed, a properly formatted scan tool is necessary.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2017 C43 AMG, 2010 C350 4Matic, 9 Motorcycles
Do our cars have individual tire pressure displayed values?
Or is it just the CHECK TIRE PRESSURE warning?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:08 PM

C220
Mine actually senses a difference in the way one tire spins against the other or so I read. It must be right since I occasionally get a low tire warning but my wheels don't have a sensor at all. I had one tire repaired the other day and I checked for the sensor but there was none inside the wheel.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
Originally Posted by Josh.A.Hussey
Do our cars have individual tire pressure displayed values?
Or is it just the CHECK TIRE PRESSURE warning?

I think it MAY depend on the year. On the 2012 is shows the tire pressure for each tire.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:22 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

TITANTPMS
Originally Posted by hdsalinas
Mine actually senses a difference in the way one tire spins against the other or so I read. It must be right since I occasionally get a low tire warning but my wheels don't have a sensor at all. I had one tire repaired the other day and I checked for the sensor but there was none inside the wheel.

It sounds like you have Indirect TPMS

Direct TPMS. It gathers accurate pressure data directly from the tire valve via four dedicated sensors, reporting pressure information in near real time. Indirect TPMS, on the other hand, uses the ABS system to approximate tire pressure, and motorists must drive a substantial distance before an alert will be generated. In order for indirect TPMS to work effectively, all four tires must be inflated to the correct recommended pressure and be under optimum conditions. If all four tires are similarly low in tire pressure from neglect (a common problem) or other reasons, an indirect system will not trigger a warning alarm. When all four tires are low, the tires wear quicker on the edges and the car is unsafe to drive, unstable and more likely to roll over; has less traction on wet roads; takes longer to stop; and uses more fuel.

Quick way to check if you have Direct TPMS is look at the valve stem if its metal then most likely you have it.

Yes it does depend on the YEAR MAKE MODEL of the car if you show individual pressure.

Last edited by TitanTPMS; 08-21-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
Originally Posted by TitanTPMS
When all four tires are low, the tires wear quicker on the edges and the car is unsafe to drive, unstable and more likely to roll over; has less traction on wet roads; takes longer to stop; and uses more fuel.
Just playing the devil's advocate...but the 1 positive trait of a low tire pressure is increased traction on snow.