C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Considering going from 4matic to rwd manual

Old 06-04-2012, 03:41 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
Considering going from 4matic to rwd manual

I've got an iridium silver 08 C300 4MATIC loaded (p2, panorama, nav) with 57,000 miles. I'm thinking about trading it for a black on black rwd C300 with a 6 speed with at least nav and P1. The time has come where I am starting college and will probably be buying another car to beat on while my C will be covered in a garage and used on occasion. I wish I thought of this when I bought the car, I just figured it would be my dd until I realized how much wear and tear that is on the car.

I would love to do an even trade with a dealer, or if they are the same year/mileage get some money for my car because mine has auto, awd and all the options, probably more valuable than a 6 speed with less options. Do you think thats crazy?

Does anyone think this would be a stupid move? Should I stick with the auto? To the ones with the 6 speed, how do you like it? I have read it's a bit clunky in comparison to BMWs, but I'm sure I wouldn't mind. I just have a desire to drive a manual now. It's definitely a shame Merc stopped the manual in the facelift w204 instead of improving it.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by LandSeaAir
I've got an iridium silver 08 C300 4MATIC loaded (p2, panorama, nav) with 57,000 miles. I'm thinking about trading it for a black on black rwd C300 with a 6 speed with at least nav and P1. The time has come where I am starting college and will probably be buying another car to beat on while my C will be covered in a garage and used on occasion. I wish I thought of this when I bought the car, I just figured it would be my dd until I realized how much wear and tear that is on the car.

I would love to do an even trade with a dealer, or if they are the same year/mileage get some money for my car because mine has auto, awd and all the options, probably more valuable than a 6 speed with less options. Do you think thats crazy?

Does anyone think this would be a stupid move? Should I stick with the auto? To the ones with the 6 speed, how do you like it? I have read it's a bit clunky in comparison to BMWs, but I'm sure I wouldn't mind. I just have a desire to drive a manual now. It's definitely a shame Merc stopped the manual in the facelift w204 instead of improving it.

is it a coupe or sedan? if its a sedan then forget it.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by snowmuch
is it a coupe or sedan? if its a sedan then forget it.
That's quite a puzzling answer! Decades of European sport sedan owners with manual transmissions would be scratching their heads trying to understand.

In any event, to LandSeaAir, your hypothetical equation of trading an automatic for a manual makes sense. If you can find a dealer with such a car, he will probably be motivated to sell the stick. The manual is not as slick as the BMW's (longish throw, not surgically precise), but it works well enough to change the personality of the car quite a bit. I've driven automatic C300 loaners and have to remind myself it's the same basic car as my C300 manual, as the former feels quite more sedate and (sorry) boring than the latter.

If you are doing this for driving engagement, enjoyment, etc., go for it! That is really the only reason for considering the change, but if you find a car, you will enjoy the difference!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 2010 C300 Sport/6M
Agree totally. I hate having to have a loaner from the stealership. It's just not the same. Yo have the same fun in the auto I feel like I'm driving st 8/10ths. Good luck in your search.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Every young man should drive a manual as it teaches him to become more tuned to the mechanicals of the car & indeed a better driver. Autos in my view are for old farts whose knees & hips are on the way out.

Regards from an Old Fart.