C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2009 c300 - what's it worth as private sale?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
2009 c300 - what's it worth as private sale?

Hey guys, found a really good deal on a 2011 C with very low miles and so I might put our 2009 up for sale. I've looked at KBB and Edmunds and both are giving me different numbers. While I think they can get you in the ballpark, it has been my experience that when I am selling a car and set my price to match KBB's...the buyers all tell me that KBB is too high.

Ironically when I'm buying a car, and the seller is asking MORE than KBB and I offer them the KBB value, they tell me KBB is wrong and that it is too low.

So I'm asking what are some real world numbers for these cars? Anyone sold an 09 model recently? Anyone know someone that bought one recently? Anyone seen one for sale or just happen to know roughly what they're going for?

Here's the rundown:
2009 C300 Sport 4 door (not 4matic)
Black with leatherette
CD
regular 17" wheels
35,000 miles
Very clean, no dents dings scratches, etc.
All maintenance has been done and new tires were put on just 5 months ago.

KBB is telling me private party value is 24,800 excellent or 24,100 very good.
Edmunds is telling me RETAIL is 24,700-26,600 and private party sale is 22,600

There's about a 2k dollar difference there for private party sales.

Also, just looking at CL and fleabay I see that a lot of dealerships are still asking close to 30k for this same model - but asking price doesn't tell me what they're actually getting - although I guess that info isn't available anywhere unless you're a dealer.

Any rate, if anyone can offer any advice on a fair asking price for the car, let me know.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:08 AM

'08 Mercedes C300
The reason buyers are saying you set your price too high is because they want a good deal/haggle. The reason sellers are asking more than what their car is worth is because they know people want to haggle. Everyone has their own price that they are willing to buy/sell a car for, but it all depends on how much patience you have.

Since you're trying to use your money from your '09 to purchase '11, you might want to discount your car a bit to quickly attract potential buyers. Look at your current situation; you found a '11 c class below the KBB and Edmunds price, therefore you want to hurry up and ****** it.

Dealerships are asking 30k because the vehicle is classified as a CPO, so it has additional warranty, and it has been inspected by a MB tech (whether that adds value is up for debate).
Old 06-10-2012, 10:06 AM

c300
Originally Posted by Domm
The reason buyers are saying you set your price too high is because they want a good deal/haggle. The reason sellers are asking more than what their car is worth is because they know people want to haggle. Everyone has their own price that they are willing to buy/sell a car for, but it all depends on how much patience you have.

Since you're trying to use your money from your '09 to purchase '11, you might want to discount your car a bit to quickly attract potential buyers. Look at your current situation; you found a '11 c class below the KBB and Edmunds price, therefore you want to hurry up and ****** it.

Dealerships are asking 30k because the vehicle is classified as a CPO, so it has additional warranty, and it has been inspected by a MB tech (whether that adds value is up for debate).
Yes makes sense. I actually have plenty of time to sell the car. The gentleman that has the car is someone I know and he's told me it's mine if I want it and I have until his new car comes in which won't be till end of August.

In the mean time I'd like to find out what my 2009 is selling for so that I can determine if it's worth it to go through the process of selling my car, haggling with people, etc.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
GL w/ sale. I'd like to see how your sale turns out, as I am also looking to replace my 2009. Mine, however, will have over 80k miles before the end of the year...

At this point, I'm just hoping nothing breaks on it before I sell it.

Originally Posted by Domm

Lol, very true.

Last edited by dcjwlee; 06-10-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350, 2012 SL550
Originally Posted by Zonica
... it has been my experience that when I am selling a car and set my price to match KBB's...the buyers all tell me that KBB is too high.

Ironically when I'm buying a car, and the seller is asking MORE than KBB and I offer them the KBB value, they tell me KBB is wrong and that it is too low.
It's not irony, it's called "the art of the deal". Be a little tougher whatever side of the transaction you are on.

Regards,
Don
Old 06-10-2012, 09:02 PM

c300
Originally Posted by dfordham
It's not irony, it's called "the art of the deal". Be a little tougher whatever side of the transaction you are on.

Regards,
Don
I didn't say that I let it sway me.

I do hate haggling, though.