C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Body Work Recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 4Matic
Body Work Recommendations

So the hotel valet produced our C300 Sunday morning with a scrape from drivers rear fender, back to bumper. Looks like they backed another vehicle into the rear quarter.

I need to know

a) Do I need to take the car to a MB authorized body shop?

b) Any body shop recommendations in Calgary AB?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:58 PM

2008 C300
is the hotel liable for the damages? sorry im just curious just in case it happens to me
Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 PM

2008 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by sonosuke
is the hotel liable for the damages? sorry im just curious just in case it happens to me

The hotel indicated their insurance will repair the car. The insurance company has yet to contact me, however the hotel said it may take a week. It is a international hotel chain, so I expect no issues with the repairs, but if there are issues Trip Adviser will hear about it.

I can only imagine some Tokyo Drift stuff happening in the parkade...
Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 PM

C43
I say take it to the dealer since they have to pay. Ensure the best parts and maybe get a loaner to use rather than a rental car.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:57 PM

2008 C300
Originally Posted by Sommy
I say take it to the dealer since they have to pay. Ensure the best parts and maybe get a loaner to use rather than a rental car.
+1
Old 06-13-2012, 10:52 PM

2008 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Sommy
Actually the dealer said they just use a local body shop, which has the Mercedes authorization, which lead me to ask if anyone has experience with using approved Mercedes body shops vs normal ones.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by drew_83
Actually the dealer said they just use a local body shop, which has the Mercedes authorization, which lead me to ask if anyone has experience with using approved Mercedes body shops vs normal ones.
Call you local Consumer Protection Agency or BBB first and get a list of all Body Shops in your area that have the most filed complaints against them. Those that still have opened claims I would stay away from. If this Dealer Recommended Shop is not on their list, go there and ask to see samples of their work. Check the cars they are working on. Make sure that the repairs look clean and smooth, no orange peel, no drips or dirt, no wavies either. Check to make sure they're using either Sikkens or STANDOX paints... and two part clear topcoats... not Dupont. If they say they're going to need to spray your doors and front panels as well, this means they do not color-tint to match... a red flag. You need a shop that will ONLY repair the damaged rear fender without touching any of the panels that are factory virgins. They must color-tint.... Yup it costs more money, but the Hotel is paying for it, right!

PS: While you're at the shop, inspect the overall appearance. A tidy shop and a respectful staff are good signs. Check out the paint booth as well. A dirty shop and booth are bad omens.

I painted cars for 22 years, then 90-120' yachts!

Last edited by MBRedux; 06-13-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 06-13-2012, 11:35 PM

bmw
sorry im just curious just in case it happens to me
Old 06-13-2012, 11:38 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by drew_83
If this is really a Mercedes approved facility and not just a place that the dealer has a business arrangement with, they will have been inspected by MBUSA or MB Canada and formally agreed to factory approved repair procedures and materials. It is not easy to be approved.

Mercedes, Porsche and BMW all have programs like this because they have decided that substandard repairs can effect the car's overall crashworthiness and they do not want to be sued.

I have posted my source for this information previously.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by RLE
If this is really a Mercedes approved facility and not just a place that the dealer has a business arrangement with, they will have been inspected by MBUSA or MB Canada and formally agreed to factory approved repair procedures and materials. It is not easy to be approved.

Mercedes, Porsche and BMW all have programs like this because they have decided that substandard repairs can effect the car's overall crashworthiness and they do not want to be sued.

I have posted my source for this information previously.
As you and others may have noticed, I sing the praises of my dealership every chance I can get... but their so call Mercedes "approved" in house body-shop... well they suck! They not only use cheap paints by Dupont (they're not mandated to use German Paints) their booth looks like a pigsty! The filters have NOT been cleaned since prehistoric times. I had them paint two Brabus sills for my GLK. I was horrified at the amount of dirt and grit all throughout the clear topcoat. You know what the shop foreman said to me when I complained? "Who cares, it's along the bottom of the car anyways, no one will see it?" EPIC FAIL... Another words, just because a Dealership claims to have a 'MB Certified Shop", doesn't necessarily mean you're guaranteed quality. So beware!

Ask for references, check out their complaint record, and examine their shop top to bottom along with samples of their work PRIOR to handing them your baby... they're respect you for it.