C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

SOLD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by milan187
Sorry but I don't agree with you. I've had 2 VW, one was a 2008 and the other 2010. They are still in the family. And never went to the dealer for a problem. I can't say the same for my 2012 C300.

VW/Audi have really stepped up on their quality since maybe 2005. Think Vw had most of their issues come from the Mexican assembly plant. That plant was is closed down now. They are more reliable then their reputation. At least they can use a dual clutch gearbox in 30k car and for 20 more Mercedes gives me a crappy slush box.

I still love the C300 and I hope it won't see the shop for a long time noew after some initial issues.
There is a distribution of outcomes in any population. Glad it worked out for you. JDPower VDS (Vehicle Dependability Study) is a large sample study which measures reported problems at 3 years in service. Audi has indeed improved, up to a score of 3 on a 5 point scale. Mercedes is at 4 out of 5. Audi's problem sub-area with only 2 of 5 is powertrain dependability, a fairly significant issue. Mercedes' weak spot is feature/accessory dependability with a 3 out of 5. Despite the corporate relationship, VW is only at 2 out of 5 for overall dependability (although any study is somewhat driven by the composition of its sample, and its buyers may also be more critical, as younger folks are apt to be), while the only 5 of 5 is......you guess it.....Lexus.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Not sure how much I even trust jdpower, although I agree lexus is easily the most reliable lux car. The Germans are some what dependable in my opinion but I don't care I love driving them.

Also check truedelta.com
Its reports by owners of cars on reliablity etc. Good a idea to join too.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Not sure how much I even trust jdpower, although I agree lexus is easily the most reliable lux car. The Germans are some what dependable in my opinion but I don't care I love driving them.

Also check truedelta.com
Its reports by owners of cars on reliablity etc. Good a idea to join too.
No reason not to trust JDP. I've worked with them and their methodology is well tried and true, and the sample size is very robust. The human element invades all research which relies on respondent self-reporting, as not all folks will report the same array of defects (some notice more than others), but that characteristic washes out across all brands in the survey. Actually, with truedelta soliciting on forums such as ours, I have some concern about sample bias resulting from hypervigilant observers such as ourselves versus the general population reached through mail or internet panels.

Last edited by Sportstick; 07-08-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Actually, with truedelta soliciting on forums such as ours, I have some concern about sample bias resulting from hypervigilant observers such as ourselves versus the general population reached through mail or internet panels.
I have always had the same thought about their data.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
JDPowers C-Class http://autos.jdpower.com/research/Me...an/ratings.htm

JDPowers A4 http://autos.jdpower.com/research/Au...nt/ratings.htm

JDPowers VW CC http://autos.jdpower.com/research/Vo...an/ratings.htm

Not a big difference with any of these if JD Powers is what you are going by. Actually VW CC is better than the C-Class and A4.

It's a German car and in my opinion they will all have some issues. We had a 5-series before the C300 and got rid off it because we invested over 10k on it over a period of a few years (so I wont be going back to BMW probably). At the moment 2 VW are doing really good and I hope the Merc does as well so I can buy another one in the future.

I will tolerate some issues but if its more than a few times a year than no thanks.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 C250 4matic
JDPowers C-Class http://autos.jdpower.com/research/Me...an/ratings.htm

JDPowers A4 http://autos.jdpower.com/research/Au...nt/ratings.htm

JDPowers VW CC http://autos.jdpower.com/research/Vo...an/ratings.htm

Not a big difference with any of these if JD Powers is what you are going by. Actually VW CC is better than the C-Class and A4.

It's a German car and in my opinion they will all have some issues. We had a 5-series before the C300 and got rid off it because we invested over 10k on it over a period of a few years (so I wont be going back to BMW probably). At the moment 2 VW are doing really good and I hope the Merc does as well so I can buy another one in the future.

I will tolerate some issues but if its more than a few times a year than no thanks.
I hear that BMW's are pretty flimsy, so I'm not actually surprised at all.